Jersey question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jersey question

mtbr member

Jersey question

I'm planning on ordering my first jersey but I'm unsure whether I need more than one. This might be a stupid question, but is it frowned upon to wear the same one all the time, are they like normal clothes that need to be changed? I don't ride everyday and they would obviously be cleaned after every ride.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have lots of bike-wear and it is rare that something is washed after a single ride.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    I'm planning on ordering my first jersey but I'm unsure whether I need more than one. This might be a stupid question, but is it frowned upon to wear the same one all the time, are they like normal clothes that need to be changed? I don't ride everyday and they would obviously be cleaned after every ride.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikojan
    The only bases I can think of Canada being related to a middle eastern country is based on the fact that you simple-minded americans depend on us as a major source of oil

Being a "simple minded American" I'm pretty sure any reply won't be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Merino wool albeit pricier, is much more forgiving odor-wise when compared to the man made textiles. I find with my jerseys I have to wash them after every ride or the smell can be nasty. I have yet to try a product we have here in Canada called sports suds to wash my 'technical' sports wear with to help with the odor problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have two jerseys. I barely wash them. I know they smell funky after the first ride but don't care since I will be sweating in them again soon and won't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Though I have umpteen - they are all the same and, from an outward appearance to those I ride with, it would appear I am wearing the same kit everyday but, due to the contract I signed with the road team I race for, any time I ride, I wear helmet and team issued kit!!

But, if you like what you got, I would get a few unless you plan on riding just once a week!!
    Last edited by Andy Pancroft; 08-30-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Let the good times roll.
    I recommend getting a few. They aren't very expensive at places like oakleyvault.com, hucknroll.com, and other discount sites. Start with one for every day you typically ride in a week. You'll probably end up accumulating more over time as you find designs you like on sale or join riding clubs.

But don't feel any pressure to have variety in your riding wardrobe. If anyone looks at you funny for dressing, tell them to mind their own business! Having more than one jersey is just for your own convenience in washing them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you don't ride every day and you have the time to wash it (or not wash it whatever) you really only need one. I have one and I usually ride 1-2 times a week. But I am about to buy another one, it seems there is some hunting season that started because yesterday I saw 3 hunters on the trail and heard gunshots, so yeah I'll be picking up some kind of orange jersey for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I think one will be fine for one but I'll definitely be on the lookout for others later on. As far as washing goes, I usually take a shower right after a ride and throw all of the clothes in the washer, its become a habit that I'm sure I'll follow with jerseys. Thanks again for all the help!

@AZ, grow up

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks guys, I think one will be fine for one but I'll definitely be on the lookout for others later on. As far as washing goes, I usually take a shower right after a ride and throw all of the clothes in the washer, its become a habit that I'm sure I'll follow with jerseys. Thanks again for all the help!

@AZ, grow up
    Just do not throw the jersey in the dryer. Cold wash is better, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbean View Post
    I have lots of bike-wear and it is rare that something is washed after a single ride.

I hope you're kidding. If not, I will only ride ahead of you. Or, you just have the bike and the jersey and don't ride. I'm hoping that is not the case either.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To OP.
    You should have a couple of jerseys. It's not really frowned upon with the people I ride with, AS LONG AS IT'S CLEAN!!!! Fox jerseys seem to be tougher than average. I hate when you go down and your jersey sleeve rips.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

I know it's time to wash because when I'm leading my buddy will complain that he can smell my jersey from a few feet behind me. True story. I wait that long to wash them.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    when I'm leading my buddy will complain that he can smell my jersey from a few feet behind me.
    I mainly ride alone...

Actually, I'm using wicking running shirts from a clearance sale and a DH long sleeve jersey when the weather gets cooler.

I'd get jerseys with rear pockets if I rode without a hydration pack.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

dirtbag
    I commute daily and wear a different jersey/shorts. On some days I get home, get a bite to eat and put on fresh jersey/shorts for a fun ride. I couldn't imagine wearing and reusing the same kit without washing them. If you rode more often and only had on jersey'short and washed them, then washing them repeatedly would accelerate the wear so you might as well buy more
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    I commute daily and wear a different jersey/shorts. On some days I get home, get a bite to eat and put on fresh jersey/shorts for a fun ride. I couldn't imagine wearing and reusing the same kit without washing them. If you rode more often and only had on jersey'short and washed them, then washing them repeatedly would accelerate the wear so you might as well buy more
    What about lycra? I was planning on getting lycra shorts and wearing rugby shorts over them, I'm assuming they need to be cleaned more often, right?

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

dirtbag
    What about lycra? I was planning on getting lycra shorts and wearing rugby shorts over them, I'm assuming they need to be cleaned more often, right?
    Jersey and shorts I wear are lycra. Each day is a clean jersey and bibs. I wash the weeks jerseys/bibs/undershirts/socks on the weekend. Lycra seems to retain funk if you don't wash them. Worse if you ride in mud or wet.

You wanna wear shorts over cycling shorts?, have at it but for gods sake, wash 'em before the next ride. You don't wear the same pair of tighty whitey's/boxers/thong on two consecutive days do you?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Hahaha I got neg repped:

"rugby shirts are for pussies and ****** schmutzes"

Thanks again for the help guys, I've order a few extra jerseys from jenson since they're having a sale. Also, I found out that there are shorts specific for use under other shorts and they cost less then lyrca anyways so I think I'm going to go that route. Thanks again!

Btw, I said rugby 'shorts'...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    One last question, I promise. I tend to wear XL sized shirts since I'm 6'5, which is the size I ordered for the jerseys and tight 'under shorts short', I'm worried that they might look baggy though. Jenson has a sale on and I'm thinking about ordering a few more but don't want to make the same mistake twice, should I have order just a Large jersey? If so, does the same apply lycra in general? Thanks again!

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

All them shˇts fit differently depending on brand.Though I do wear a small across the board. The best thing I can tell you is to look at the sizing chart for each brand and see what size they recommend for your chest measurement and depending on the cut( club/ race etc.) order that size or a size up if you think it's going to be snug.

mtbr member
    Thanks bud, they're pretty much all Troy Lee's so I'll just wait to see how the ones from the first shipment feel when they come in, thanks again!

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    since i live in an apartment i don't have a washer and dryer... so what i do is as soon as i am done taking a shower, i fill up my sink with a bit of water and pour in some deterngent...just a bit though and dissolve it by stiring it with my hand... then i put my jersey there for a few minutes... let it soak and kind of massage it around to get all the funk and sweat off... depending on how dirty it is, i repeat the cycle... and then rinse with clean water... i can then hang it somehwer on the balcony and it will be dry the next day... specially if it is windy... make sure you squeeze all the water you can out of it...