Jersey for the heat- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Jersey for the heat

Just wondering what everyone uses for jerseys when it is super hot out as it was this last summer. I know pearl izumi used to make a jersey that had mesh on the sides and was built for the heat. anyone know of the name of that jersey and if they still make it? Do you all run sleeveless or full zippers. Its hard these days to find a full-zippered jersey.

mtbr member
    I hope you dont take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to knock you or anybody else who wears jerseys and all, but why bother with a jersey if it's not for a sponsor during a race? With how much they cost and all. Personaly I buy the cheep "wanna be underamror" type shirts. The looser fitting ones. Around $10-15 a pop from Academy or many other stores, and if they get torn, stained or what ever it's no big deal....that's my thinking anyway.....but I seem to crash a lot. Atleast for mountian biking. I kinda get why roadies do (as I'm a roadie also).

On the other hand, something with the mesh like your talking about does sound like it would breath a LOT better on these nasty summer days. Cant find that for $15 at Academy!

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to understand why some of the folks I see on trails are all dressed up.

Cow Clicker
    Full zipper summer Sugoi jersey because it has rear pockets and I can put stuff in it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4146 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone uses for jerseys when it is super hot out as it was this last summer. I know pearl izumi used to make a jersey that had mesh on the sides and was built for the heat. anyone know of the name of that jersey and if they still make it? Do you all run sleeveless or full zippers. Its hard these days to find a full-zippered jersey.
    Ibex Indie full zip
    Men's Indie S/S Jersey | Ibex Merino Wool Cycling
    Comfortable in all temps. Have used one in 100+ heat and full sun and stayed comfortable. Light weight, wicks, breathes. Generally keep the zipper mostly closed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I4NI
    Jenson USA
    Hoss Rancher Jersey
    $5.99
    73% off $21.99 msrp

I bought 4 well made, cool, not to mention the price. Just sized small, buy one size larger
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Flow like water
    I don't think bike jerseys are all that expensive. Walk into your local outfitter store. Check the prices on decent, technical shirts for hiking. They look like underwear, are made of advanced polyester fiber, are cool in summer and warm in winter. Cost is about $30 to $50 for a long-sleeved t-shirt. Great stuff.

I love technical clothing for outdoor use.

You can also get dry-wicking shirts from UnderArmour for similar prices. Bike jerseys are a good buy, esp. mail order on sale. The benefit is that if you actually ride in position, the back of the jersey does not ride up on you.

A good golf shirt would have the right fabric, but would probably have a flappy collar, which would drive me crazy in the wind. Also a good golf shirt is double what a cheap bike jersey would cost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I use the fox 360 jersey and it dries very quickly but while it's wet from sweat it cools you down so fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Under armour heat gear long sleeves, any that's on sale. Really not a big fan of jerseys because of the way they fit me or not fit

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I have done a few very hot rides with long sleeved knockoff under armor. It really is pretty nice. I pour water on it if I feel hot and it cools off nicely.

when the weather cools off a little, jerseys are nice bc of the pockets.

mtbr member
    I love my bontrager jersey, though not cheap it wicks like no other I have used and does not fit so tight that it shows every bump on my body.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    I hope you dont take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to knock you or anybody else who wears jerseys and all, but why bother with a jersey if it's not for a sponsor during a race? With how much they cost and all. Personaly I buy the cheep "wanna be underamror" type shirts. The looser fitting ones. Around $10-15 a pop from Academy or many other stores, and if they get torn, stained or what ever it's no big deal....that's my thinking anyway.....but I seem to crash a lot. Atleast for mountian biking. I kinda get why roadies do (as I'm a roadie also).

On the other hand, something with the mesh like your talking about does sound like it would breath a LOT better on these nasty summer days. Cant find that for $15 at Academy!

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to understand why some of the folks I see on trails are all dressed up.
    LOL, Mate your hardly getting all dressed up on the trail if you buy a jersey, you need to spend a bit less time thinking about what others are wearing on the trail, you can buy simple mesh DH jerseys from CRC in the sales for as cheap as 20 bucks, i buy plenty of em, they are the price of a tee shirt, they dont have to have sponsors or names all over them and they are made for the purpose or riding n taking moisture away from the body, if you spend over 80 bucks its free shipping anywhere in the world, so buy somthing you need for your bike n get a jersey or two chucked in n its all sweet, jerseys are heaps better than tee shirts and nearly all DH jerseys have vents in them, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Living in New England - I probably have a different point where I consider it hot... Anything above 80 and I don't wear a shirt. Admittedly - The humidity is usually right up there, so you're sweating in the parking lot getting ready. I'm also in the woods so direct sun isn't a major concern.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Anything above 80 and I don't wear a shirt.
    80?! That's sweater weather!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fox Racing Race Full-Zip Short Sleeve Jersey | Hucknroll.com

Full zippers and rear pockets is why i roll with the jersey. Easy to put food, tubes, cellphones in the rear pockets. Takes the weight out of the saddle bag. I have a small camelback so I can't fit all that stuff in there. Also, the full zipper option is a life saver on long climbs, and it makes me feel like superman on the downhills, hehe

mtbr member
    Spend $20 on a well-made Nike Dry Fit or Under Armour shirt and call it a day. I have 4-5 that I rotate in and out, and they're perfect for the 80-90+ degree heat here in Colorado. Spending $50+ on bike jerseys is stupid (not saying you're specifically doing that, just in general).

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Spend $20 on a well-made Nike Dry Fit or Under Armour shirt and call it a day. I have 4-5 that I rotate in and out, and they're perfect for the 80-90+ degree heat here in Colorado. Spending $50+ on bike jerseys is stupid (not saying you're specifically doing that, just in general).
    I can't put a banana in a Nike Dry fit. I can't unzip a Nike dry fit. I can't cover my crack with a dry fit.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I can't put a banana in a Nike Dry fit. I can't unzip a Nike dry fit. I can't cover my crack with a dry fit.
    Just say no to crack!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0