Jersey fit?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jersey fit?

mtbr member

Jersey fit?

My wife surprised me with a jersey today and she got me a medium. I'm 5' 9" 175lbs with a 42" chest. It is pretty tight, especially around the biceps. How tight are these things supposed to be?

banned
    Aug 2012
    They are designed to be a tad bit away from skin tight. It might feel weird at first but you'll get used to it.

All fat, all the time.
    I won't buy a jersey without trying it on first. Every one I have fits differently, even have a xxl and that one is the tightest go figure.

mtbr member
    According to nashbar for a 40-42" chest in this brand I need a large. When I get back from vacation I'll send it back for an exchange.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You need a large. With my 37" chest I wear a medium. Cycling sizing doesn't equal t shirt sizing.
    Last edited by abegold; 09-05-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: more info
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Yea, the chest and arms are to tight.

mtbr member
    I may actually return it for an XL. I'm back into lifting again and it won't take me long to have a 44-45" chest again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    it depends from your type of riding (road, off-road, DH, slopestyle, hypster, ...)

for road riding, I really appreciate when clothes are tight, I do not wear baggy shorts for this. A tight jersey and a tight bib short.

for off-road riding, it depends about the weather. As I ride on a cyclocross bicycle on singletracks I get the baggy shorts in winter, autumn and cold days during spring. In the summer I appreciate to get my spandexman suit.
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get a bigger size!

mtbr member
    I tried buying Jerseys and the problem I had was none of my shops had the size that fit me, I wear an XL t-shirt normally, and some XL t-shirts are too big on me. So I had to mail order.
    I bought a Fox Basic off chainlove and it said they fit like t-shirt sizing so I bought an XL and it wasn't even close, I gave up on it and just buy tech t's at sports shops locally, I'm just missing out on the back pocket but no biggie.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Roadies need tight fitting jerseys s o when they are going downhill at 40 mph they are not flapping in the wind. Mountain bikers don't have that problem. Comfort is the most important thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My best fitting jerseys, above 70, are form fitting, almost skin tight, but without constriction of motion or circulation. I hate loose, damp, clammy fabric on my skin, when it's warm. Below 70, I'm not so picky, about a close fit.
    Last edited by BillyL; 10-05-2012 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 44" in the chest and some stuff find an L is too small and XL too big...sometimes even with the same brand! Certainly sounds like a medium is too small for ya.

EDR
    Go for comfort. Your not worried about some minute (mynoot) amount of wind drag on a mtb. Just wear what's comfy. As noted, you need a bigger size it sounds like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got my jersey in an XL as I like it a little baggy. I like my jersey to be a little big as I use it over a wick-away compression shirt in the summer, or over a thermal base in the winter.

Singletrack Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    My wife surprised me with a jersey today and she got me a medium. I'm 5' 9" 175lbs with a 42" chest. It is pretty tight, especially around the biceps. How tight are these things supposed to be?
    I think they should be somewhat tight. You don't want the back pockets to sag down when you have stuff in them. But... pretty tight might be too tight.

There are also different cuts of jerseys. Club cut is kind of looser, race cut is tight like racing jerseys.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    best fitting jersey I ever tried on.....

clearance rack at performance bike shop...performance brand

was not expecting that lol, not too big, not too tight, good length

Members who have read this thread: 0