It's the shoes!- Mtbr.com

Thread: It's the shoes!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

It's the shoes!

My Shitmano M182's run out of comfort at about 6 hours. They're fine for anything less. I had a pair of Specialized Experts that I put 12 hours on - those were a tad better. I just have a thing against Specialized...

Are Sidi Dominators really the shiz? Are they really worth $269 from my LBS? I get squirrelly when the price point tops 200 clams.

Are they any other options that will keep my little piggies happy for 12 to 24?

TIA

It ain't easy being Green
    Isn't it odd that we think nothing of dropping $3K+ on a bike but won't pay $250 for shoes? I'm the same and can't bring myself to buy Sidi. I am on my second pair of Sette Epics (stop laughing in the back!), was wary of buying them simply because they are "Sette" but I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are and for how long, so when the first pair got ratty after about 500 rides I bought another pair. $85 at Pricepoint.

Living the thug life.
    I had the same problem with the Shimano moldables. Bontrager X-lites nipped it in the bud for me. I love those shoes.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Do you have wide feet?

Your feet swell as you ride and shoes which fit great initially can get too tight on long rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nice shoes are the best thing i have ever spend biek money on. that said the quality on the sidi dominators is poor mine basically fell apart after less than 2 seasons, im very pleased with my new specialized expert carbons so far

AZ
    banned
    Bonty RL's , Sidi Dominator , Sidi Carbon , wearing Shimano's is the same as setting your feet on fire .

R I D E S T E E L
    Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels
    Your feet swell as you ride and shoes which fit great initially can get too tight on long rides.
    This is interesting, I find the opposite (though have heard about the swelling issue from others). Or my shoes stretch a bit when warmed up. I use the Spec S-works shoes and find I end up tightening them here and there through the ride. It's not specific to these shoes, as it happens with others as well.

Too bad the OP has a thing against Specialized, they have some really nice options on the market.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Everybody has different shaped feet so you should take everyone's comments with a grain of salt except for how they hold up to abuse.
    I bought sidi's once and i will never buy them again. They fell apart after a year of use.
    If you ride technical rocky terrain they will get torn up in not time. Took mine to moab and they got tore up really quick.
    I bought top of the line shimano shoes and the sole is starting to delam at the tip of my toe.
    The search continues...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    My Shitmano M182's run out of comfort at about 6 hours. They're fine for anything less. I had a pair of Specialized Experts that I put 12 hours on - those were a tad better. I just have a thing against Specialized...

Are Sidi Dominators really the shiz? Are they really worth $269 from my LBS? I get squirrelly when the price point tops 200 clams.

Are they any other options that will keep my little piggies happy for 12 to 24?

TIA

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels

Buy your shoes in the afternoon after your feet have swollen .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    No way. Buy your shoes when your feet are cold and small, because every brand of shoe stretches a bit as it breaks in. For me, nothing is worse than a sloppy fitting bike shoe.

Superfeet insoles in my Shimano shoes seem to work fine for 10 hour races, but I gotta admit that my $100 msrp Specialized shoes feel the best on really long rides. I've switched to them for hundie races.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I did about 7 years on my sidi dominators. The fit was perfect and I can't complain about the durability. I have Shimano shoes now and they are good after some modification but not as good as the sidis.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS

Good point, you should do that when you buy any shoes
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A few things could be happening. Maybe your feet are swelling and you need to loosen your shoes some. I found this to be the case with my Sidi Dragon 2 SRS Carbons.

Where do your feet hurt when they start to hurt? You may need some custom orthotics to account for some anatomical challenges you may have, which causes the pain.

mtbr member
    Each to their own - my M182s are great like slippers.
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

go with what feels good?

I say put aside your qualms w/ specialized and get the best shoes you can if you're going to hammer in em' for 12 hours, be them Specialized, Sidi, Shimano or whatever. I am likely to pick up some Specialized Pro MTB's to replace my shimano182's in the near future. Obviously to each their own but there but Specialized puts a lot of R/D into their shoes and insoles... I've been impressed and I also used to be against the "big s."
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, I have some top of the line Sidi and Im not that impressed. They are fine shoes, look great, fit fine etc etc but I should have spent the money on specialized... My specialized shoes of the past have been a dream to wear.

mtbr member
    I have found that the with the shimanos the balls of my feet are super sore when endurance riding...Almost like the insole was not protecting my feet from the part of the cleat inside the shoe..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Lake shoes are what I've found comfy enough to go all day and more...My Sidi's suck after 4-6 hrs (hot foot no matter where the cleat is and I have spent a ton of $$$ trying to find insoles to fix it - and my cleats are as far back as possible). I ride the Sidi's for short rides only. So no, the price of Sidi's are not worth it (they feel good initially and that's all IMO).

Lake MX155 is my perfect shoe and it's priced beyond belief for such comfort. They weigh a tad more than all those glittery-POS-spendy-trendy-so-called-race-shoes, but after 24-hrs on the bike or a hundy on the SS my feet are still very happy, plus I can actually walk/climb over rocky terrain with the Lakes. I'm eyeing a 2nd pair but I'm looking towards the MX156.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    IMHO
    In 20 years of mountain biking I keep trying to try something other than SIDI....and I keep get disappointed. I have tried Specialized, Shimano, Adidas and recently Bontrager. The little lever on my Bontrager shoes broke the first time I used them in a 56mi race earlier this year...so imagine trying to ride with no top strap (my heel kept moving out of the shoe).

I will never buy anything other than SIDI's again....they are just great great shoes that are worth the money.
    Last edited by ptfmb71; 06-01-2010 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    IMHO
    In 20 years of mountain biking I keep trying to try something other than SIDI....and I keep get disappointed. I have tried Specialized, Shimano, Adidas and recently Bontrager. The little lever on my Bontrager shoes broke the first time I used them in a 56mi race earlier this year...so imagine trying to ride with no top strap (my heel kept moving out of the shoe).

I will not every buy anything other than SIDI's again....they are just great great shoes that are worth the money.

Amen brother!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sidi dominators, worth every penny. I've worn them for years on the road and the dirt. The fit is like a custom shoe, in fact I never wear socks with them. I normally buy them at the end of the season or in the depths of the long cold winter. I try never to pay retail so it makes it a bit more palatable.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    I have found that the with the shimanos the balls of my feet are super sore when endurance riding...Almost like the insole was not protecting my feet from the part of the cleat inside the shoe..
    +1. My Shimanos are great to about 30 miles, then I get a hot-spot/bruising feeling above the cleat. I'm shopping for a new pair now, but kind of hard to evaluate this characteristic of a shoe in the store. Anyone else able to cure this problem with a particular brand?

EDIT: Just noticed NURD's post on the Lakes, but don't have a LBS that carries them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hot spotting is normally the result of cleat position of saddle location. A pro bike fit can usually help.

neko no basu
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    My Shitmano M182's run out of comfort at about 6 hours. They're fine for anything less.
    AFAIK, M182 are racing shoes. so i guess they are just too rigid for long rides.
    as for me, i prefer touring shoes for endurance racing. they are significantly less rigid, but much more comfortable. i have a pair of specialized tahoe fo 3-season use, and a pair of exustar E-SS502 sandals for summer.
    GT force && scott voltage

mtbr member
    How about just buy a Specialized footbed for your current shoes...
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/health-...ence/1992.html

Members who have read this thread: 0