Inexpensive, entry level clipless shoes?- Mtbr.com
    MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009

Inexpensive, entry level clipless shoes?

I just assembled my first real MTB, and it came with clipless pedals. What are some good, entry level shoes that are inexpensive? I don't want to spend a ton on them if I don't like clipless pedals. I went to Performance Bike locally and they didn't even have my size to try anything on. The other LBS's I've been to are too small to have a shoe section so I'll likely have to order online. I'd like to keep it under $50 please.

mtbr member
    Shimano MT32 (low-tops) or Shimano MT52 ("high tops") retail for around $80. They can be run on clipless or platform peddles.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500790

mtbr member
    Sette Excel, cost you about 35 dollars shipped and are a good cheap way to get into clipless.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcster
    Shimano MT32 (low-tops) or Shimano MT52 ("high tops") retail for around $80. They can be run on clipless or platform peddles.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500790
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like to keep it under $50 if at all possible.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Sette Excel, cost you about 35 dollars shipped and are a good cheap way to get into clipless.
    I saw these earlier today, but they only have size 38 and 41; I need a 45/46.

local trails rider
    The thing with shoes is: they need to fit.

Did you try any shoes at the shop, to verify they don't fit?

MTB skillz = NADA
    You can look at Nashbar.com .
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    The thing with shoes is: they need to fit.

Did you try any shoes at the shop, to verify they don't fit?
    The only thing they had in my size were the really expensive shoes so I didn't even bother. I can't seem to find my size online for any of the cheaper shoes. Man, this is a bummer.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sette shoes from Pricepoint is what I got. The seem to have a nice quality build and fit nicely as well.

-Brett

mtbr rememberer
    the issue I see with buying online sight unseen is fitment.
    each shoe mfg. has slightly varying sizes and it'll be hard to pinpoint the best fit.
    and if you keep having to exchange shoes, the s/h for returns (and possibly restocking fees) may push you over your $50 budget.

if you do go the online route, check their return policies so you don't blow your budget.
    Last edited by johnny dollar; 05-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.

local trails rider
    The bike shoes that I have are one Euro size larger than any other shoes that I have. And they fit just right...

My other ride is your mom
    I'd suggest scouring bike-swaps and your local riding community for used pedals on the cheep.....spend the money on the shoes since that will be your source of pain....

Old man on a bike
    I happen to have a very lightly used pair of size 46 Answer Speeders I picked up a while back as a backup pair (always like to keep one extra pair around, but only used these 3 or 4 times). I have a funky left foot (arthritic arched big toe) and they're just not very comfy for the ol' left foot and are just sitting around.

Can be hard to buy shoes without fitting, this pair is a good example! My Lake MX165s in 46 fit comfortably. IME bike shoe sizes vary a lot from one brand to another, and in width as well.

PM me if you'd like to take them off my hands for the cost of postage...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

keeping it dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb
    I just assembled my first real MTB, and it came with clipless pedals. What are some good, entry level shoes that are inexpensive? I don't want to spend a ton on them if I don't like clipless pedals. I went to Performance Bike locally and they didn't even have my size to try anything on. The other LBS's I've been to are too small to have a shoe section so I'll likely have to order online. I'd like to keep it under $50 please.
    If you're a woman, REI has Shimano WM40 shoes for $30.. my GF just got a pair and she's waiting to try them out with clipless pedals.

If you're not a woman.. depends what size shoe you wear.. you can find good deals depending on if your size is available.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Performance usually has pretty good deals on the lower end Shimano SPD shoes. And they're everywhere.

You definitely should try them out in person, even the same manufacturer, same size but different model shoes will fit differently.

mtbr member
    I started off with Shimano M075's which were quite good. No idea about the US pricing though
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Nashbar Multi-sports look pretty good for the price
    Round and round we go

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I used a set from Sette. Don't think they make the exact model anymore but are the equivalent of the Sette Element. They lasted a few seasons and I'm rough on shoes. With shipping it will be just over $50. They tend to be a little on the big side.
    i ride bikes

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin
    Performance usually has pretty good deals on the lower end Shimano SPD shoes. And they're everywhere.

You definitely should try them out in person, even the same manufacturer, same size but different model shoes will fit differently.
    I went to a Performance bike a few days ago, all they had were the high end shoes in my size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beenee98
    I started off with Shimano M075's which were quite good. No idea about the US pricing though
    These were about $70-80, but now they've been replaced by the M076s, which are $10-20 more. I have had the M075s for the last year or so. They're pretty decent and not terribly expensive.

I wouldn't try to be scraping pennies over shoes. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more and have a shoe that fits than to score a great deal on a pair that isn't quite comfortable. The shoes will last a good year or two, maybe even more depending on use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I bought the MT41 shoe from Jenson USA a couple weeks ago. They flex a bit, but for $46 shipped I think they'll suit my needs, which was to try clipless, just fine. My foot runs a bit narrow and I usually wear a size 11 1/2 - 12 and the size 46 fits like a glove.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTLizzrd
    I bought the MT41 shoe from Jenson USA a couple weeks ago. They flex a bit, but for $46 shipped I think they'll suit my needs, which was to try clipless, just fine. My foot runs a bit narrow and I usually wear a size 11 1/2 - 12 and the size 46 fits like a glove.
    This is what I'll end up getting if I can't find anything locally or the shoes form the guy above don't fit.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I happen to have a very lightly used pair of size 46 Answer Speeders I picked up a while back as a backup pair (always like to keep one extra pair around, but only used these 3 or 4 times). I have a funky left foot (arthritic arched big toe) and they're just not very comfy for the ol' left foot and are just sitting around.

Can be hard to buy shoes without fitting, this pair is a good example! My Lake MX165s in 46 fit comfortably. IME bike shoe sizes vary a lot from one brand to another, and in width as well.

PM me if you'd like to take them off my hands for the cost of postage...
    Received these and tried them on. They're a bit snug, but I'm hoping that they'll loosen up a bit with use. I took the laces out though, they added extra time to putting these on, plus it was a PITA.

I have funky feet: Left foot is longer/narrower and right foot is wide/shorter and they're about a full half size different.

I put some cleats on and tried them inside just sitting on the bike, and they feel great! They don't clink while walking, and the soles seem rubbery for good traction.

Thanks again!!

Old man on a bike
    Received these and tried them on. They're a bit snug, but I'm hoping that they'll loosen up a bit with use. I took the laces out though, they added extra time to putting these on, plus it was a PITA.

I have funky feet: Left foot is longer/narrower and right foot is wide/shorter and they're about a full half size different.

I put some cleats on and tried them inside just sitting on the bike, and they feel great! They don't clink while walking, and the soles seem rubbery for good traction.

Thanks again!!

Glad to see them put to use, hopefully they will stretch out more for you, my left foot didn't want to try that hard with those. I prefer the laces for better fitting, but they didn't mix the laces and velcro too well on that shoe. Those straps should do the job, though. Sounds like your feet are similar to mine, but my left foot is a bit taller at the big toe and wider than my right foot, thus making interesting shoe fitting. Have fun and don't forget to practice with the clipless setup for a while...especially before going to unclip in front of large numbers of people
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I got my 1st pair of clipless shoes from JensonUSA they where $40

I got my 1st pair of clipless shoes Shimano MT41 MTB from JensonUSA where $40 I love them they are grate!!! Some other websites or selling them for $70 or $80 but jensonusa has them for $40

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx
    Last edited by arielDB; 05-11-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Title

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Glad to see them put to use, hopefully they will stretch out more for you, my left foot didn't want to try that hard with those. I prefer the laces for better fitting, but they didn't mix the laces and velcro too well on that shoe. Those straps should do the job, though. Sounds like your feet are similar to mine, but my left foot is a bit taller at the big toe and wider than my right foot, thus making interesting shoe fitting. Have fun and don't forget to practice with the clipless setup for a while...especially before going to unclip in front of large numbers of people
    Got to ride on them a bit on my street. I've got the tension set pretty loose, so they're very easy to unclip.

The only problem I see is that my right leg, from the knee down, naturally points more to the right than my left leg does. This makes everything difficult; running, driving, snowboarding, rollerblading, etc. I'm not sure how to set the cleats for my right shoe due to this. Ideas?

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB
    I got my 1st pair of clipless shoes Shimano MT41 MTB from JensonUSA where $40 I love them they are grate!!! Some other websites or selling them for $70 or $80 but jensonusa has them for $40

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx
    I ordered those a few days ago too as a backup, but the ones from Bikenfool are great so far. If the Shimanos fit well I might use those for dry and the others for more wet rides or some other different rides.

Old man on a bike
    Got to ride on them a bit on my street. I've got the tension set pretty loose, so they're very easy to unclip.

The only problem I see is that my right leg, from the knee down, naturally points more to the right than my left leg does. This makes everything difficult; running, driving, snowboarding, rollerblading, etc. I'm not sure how to set the cleats for my right shoe due to this. Ideas?
    Some shoes you can angle the cleat more than with others, don't remember what the Speeders were like in that regard. Have you ever sought professional advice from a podiatrist?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I have the same problem due to a fib/tib break and a botched surgery. There should be enough room for adjustment to point your toe out slightly with spd's. I played with mine and found a balance between my heel brushing my chainstay, and my knee hurting on longer rides. I have no issues with discomfort any more while riding. Hopefully, with a little patience, and a little trial and error you will find that sweet spot as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042
    Sette shoes from Pricepoint is what I got. The seem to have a nice quality build and fit nicely as well.

-Brett

X2 - Size was right on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just picked up a pair of Forte Traverse for $49 at performance bike, and I got to try them on.

Members who have read this thread: 0