Im looking for a full face helmet...How bout this?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

New question here. Im looking for a full face helmet...How bout this?

Hey, Im looking for a full face helmet to start to take on DH courses . I just have my XC helmet. How about this one? http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10111
    Is there a difference between dirt bike helmets and bmx/dh helmets?

Any suggestions would help,
    Thanks

Jun 2005
    Its only your head so what does the quality of the helmet matter.......right?
    I think i would look for a better helmet!
    Last edited by free-rider_down-hiller; 08-01-2006 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Moto helmets are much heavier and bulkier, especially cheap ones!! My $400 moto helmet, which is the lightest out right now (Fox V3 white wall) weights 2.9 lbs, a $50 Giro Mad Max II is 43oz.... like 2.7 lbs.

Meh.
    Moto helmets will also get much warmer inside. Moto helmets are designed to take harder and faster impacts, while bike helmets will absorb some of the smaller stuff.

"The Freak Show"
    I happen to like my azonic fury helmet. I havnt crashed it yet but its very comfortable and you can get them for about $70.
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

stupid fresh!!
    im looking into a fury
    does it stay cool?

Jul 2006
    So I think i may get one of the two...the Fury or the Mad Max II. Is there advantages from one over the other, cooler, lighter or what? I am purchasing one this week because my dad and bro are heading up to Plattekill this weekend. I think i should pick up one of these instead of my XC helmet huh?

Thanks

mtbr member
    A moto helmet (DOT or SNELL certified) will be hotter and heavier, but is far more likely to save your head in a large crash. Current full-face DH helmets (EXCEPT the Giro Remedy) are simply BMX helmets, or you could say that they're XC helmets with faceguards. In my opinion, they do not provide enough protection for DHing. DOT moto helmets are overkill for DH, but at this point in time, there's only one helmet certification standard for DH (ASTM on the Giro Remedy), but it's relatively unproven and nobody knows exactly what's what at this point. So, right now, seeing as how I don't have any better options, I ride/race DH in a DOT moto helmet. For lighter duty stuff a CPSC (MTB) fullface helmet will be fine, but for anything lift-served, I'd say go DOT. It's worth it.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Jul 2006
    Well, it will be our first at DH trails. So i do not think I will need the moto helmet, we will not be tackling expert terrain or anything. I think i will stick with the MTB helmet. I mean what does everyone else reccomend, moto or mtb, i think mtb will do just fine protection wise, lighter and cooler too.
    Last edited by XTS_Moto; 08-01-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    those helmets are really hot, but they Meet or exceed DOT specifications so they are safe
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jun 2006
    I just picked up a TLD SE and love it. I don't notice a significant weight difference over my Bellistic and the ventilation is just as good, not to mention that it breathes much better. Totally worth the extra protection.

Jun 2006
    This is a sweet lid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2006
    That TLD is a little too expensive for me ...I'm looking to spend 50-75.

Jan 2006
    I grabbed a Giro Remedy. Love it so far, and was not a bad price. $96.00 out the door

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by treksession7
    I grabbed a Giro Remedy. Love it so far, and was not a bad price. $96.00 out the door

yea i really like the remedy especially for the price, i would get it in black

[QUOTE=1]Lalo [/QUOTE]
    dude you should try some armadillo helmets they prevent Mutants Like Xavier from X-Men from reading your mind and gives GREAT protection also it gives an old fashion mood to the ride as if some lucky charms dudes were arround you throwing marshmellows

!!!!Party On!!!!

!!!Party On!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalf The Grey Spammer
    One Spam To Rule Them All
    ------
    Sram Mars Arms.............................................. ..... SPAM!

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FxFvD
    dude you should try some armadillo helmets they prevent Mutants Like Xavier from X-Men from reading your mind and gives GREAT protection also it gives an old fashion mood to the ride as if some lucky charms dudes were arround you throwing marshmellows

!!!!Party On!!!!

!!!Party On!!!

Haha, what if i hit the ground really hard and the armidillos guts get all in my hair?

Jul 2006
    Now what would be the difference here between this giro remedy and fury or the mad max II other than price?

mtbr member
    different brand
    Signatures are for losers

Jul 2006
    No quality, cooling, or protection differences?

Jul 2006
    Or how about this Azonic T-55? Looks different.
    http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=2652

Jun 2004
    That Azonic looks to be a good deal (T-55 at wheelworld), or they have the Fury for $62.99 at Jenson http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Helmet+06.aspx

mtbr member
    thats pretty ugly. if u want the most for your money get the giro rembey or mad max II
    Signatures are for losers

Members who have read this thread: 0