I'm gonna start wearing leg armor- Mtbr.com
    Fat guy on a bike

I'm gonna start wearing leg armor

To protect me from the weeds.

Every bit of single track has been really overgrown this year and now all the weeds are dried up and spikey as ever.

Just road the Calabasas/Millenium trail yesterday, and thanks to corba and the mountain conservatory people for cleaning it, but now the dead stuff is laying over onto the trail and some is growing in again where it was already cut down.

Its the year of the mustard.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My legs are a bit bloody after every ride lately due to overgrowth. It's slowly getting beaten back, but not fast enough. I still don't know if it would be worth it to rock the leg armor just for that.

I like bloody ankles
    I'll take the mustard, it's the darn artichokes that are killing me. I've had thier needle like thorns in my shins for weeks. They find a way to bury under your skin and break off so you can't get to them

Jan 2008
    "I'm gonna start wearing leg armor "

SAY IT LOUD SAY IT PROUD

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Maybe it's time to volunteer for some trail work...

BMF
    Oct 2007
    You guys can meet me at the trailhead and I'll hand out tough-pills to all of you so your legs don't get all torn up by the scary weeds...ugh.

JK of course!

Fat guy on a bike
    Its not the pain. Its the itching, and itching, and itching.

San Diego County
    The biker I was about to pass on trail about a month ago pissed off a rattler just before I got to him. The snake struck me right in the shin I was really glad I was wearing my Roach leg gaurds.

I also wear leg/shin/knee gaurds because of the poison oak. They are also handy because I fall off alot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Even though I mainly do xc-ish stuff at relatively low-speed - I got tired of the trips to the ER to get stitches because even low speed contact with rocks proved that my skin just wasn't as hard as earth-bones. It's a pain - but so was sitting in the waiting room for hours or finishing the last 8 miles of noble sporting a cool shin-dig - so easily avoided with a little bit of hardware on the lower extremities (this never seemed to happen my first 10 years of riding...).

Lord of the Chainrings
    My legs are bloody from transitioning to the DMR V12 flat pedals from the clipless pedals.

How do you spell "learning curve"?

The 5.10 Impact shoes ROCK tho!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

fat guy on a little bike
    Apr 2007
    I got these, their FOX

Im just another smart ass.

Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    To protect me from the weeds.

Every bit of single track has been really overgrown this year and now all the weeds are dried up and spikey as ever.

Just road the Calabasas/Millenium trail yesterday, and thanks to corba and the mountain conservatory people for cleaning it, but now the dead stuff is laying over onto the trail and some is growing in again where it was already cut down.

Its the year of the mustard.

come on bro...what's the fun if you don't have some cuts and scratches to show for when you're done with your ride!...I mountain biking is rough, it's not ,meant to be like road riding , it's dangerous and you have to become ONE with nature... Having said that, a year ago I crashed face first and that's when I first considered wearing anything more than jersey, shorts and a regular bike helmet... That day I really wish I had a full face helmet on...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't use the guards for the fire roads but the last ride I was on with single track, woods and rockgardens had three of us with guards and 7 without. At least 5 of the folks without guards said they wished they had them and at least 3 guys riding minimalistic clipless said they wished they had the platform clipless like the Mallets I had put on my bike for the ride or straight platform.
    The two rides I've used the guards with so far (Just outstanding with a detour and Cannel Meadows) they have been very nice to have. On the Just Outstanding detour they no doubt saved me some nasty scrapes.

Glad to Be Alive
    you know ur a bunch of crybabies.....why don't you do some trail work.....you can complain but just spend a day doing some work.....it is very relaxing...

this tool works the best for me.....you swing it like a pendulum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    The biker I was about to pass on trail about a month ago pissed off a rattler just before I got to him. The snake struck me right in the shin I was really glad I was wearing my Roach leg gaurds.

I also wear leg/shin/knee gaurds because of the poison oak. They are also handy because I fall off alot too.
    The poison oak is really bad this year. Ive never gotten it before, and now it keeps popping up.

And on the snake.......DAMN you are lucky!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    wow wow.......lucky big time
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

San Diego County
    Yup, I was lucky he didn't hit my calf instead. If I had those cute fuzzy ones like mad matt wears that snake would have had a mouth full of fur

SMT is right...do trail work, it's a good thing
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

Members who have read this thread: 0