If you were in my shoes......- Mtbr.com

Feb 2009

If you were in my shoes......

Issue Addressed
    Last edited by <<<<<>>>>>; 02-16-2009 at 06:20 AM.

mtbr member
    I would send it back and get it fixed, if your builder is willing to repair at no charge(except shipping) than let him fix his mistakes, it will help with all future buyers if his, it will be great learning experience, however if you had said you didn't like the frame than i would sell it and start with another builder. Bt if you truly love the frame get it fixed and ride just don't opt for custom paint
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I would send it back and get it fixed, if your builder is willing to repair at no charge(except shipping) than let him fix his mistakes, it will help with all future buyers if his, it will be great learning experience, however if you had said you didn't like the frame than i would sell it and start with another builder. Bt if you truly love the frame get it fixed and ride just don't opt for custom paint
    Thanks for the quick response. I do love the frame. This being my first and only custom frame I didn't know what was an acceptable reaction. I realize the framebuilder doesn't know me from anyone (with the exceptions of the details they got when I ordered). For all they know I coulda asked for a Uber-light XC and than took it to north shore for some free riding so maybe I should be happy they are even willing to look at it but the skeptical side of me wanted to know if having to part with my frame twice now is normal for custom frames. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    by no means is this normal but you have to realize it IS a custom "one off" so unlike the big boys(Spec, Giant, Trek etc) Your builder or even mine can't build a frame, than test the crap out of it to see how it will fail. A custom frame should last a lifetime but things happen, If it happens a third time ask your builder if he will build you a new frame from scratch
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Feb 2009
    Thanks for the insight. I think I may just be bitter that I'll be without my "child" for sometime.

mtbr member
    just contact your builder, tell him how feel and ask questions and ask his opinion on what to do, most good builders will take care of customers since they can't afford to loose them

Members who have read this thread: 0