If you could only wear one...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

If you could only wear one...

...would you wear elbow pads or knee pads? I'm curious whether knee or elbow injuries are more common.

mtbr member
    Myself and most others go to knee pads first, and then add elbow pads on crazier trails. Judging by the condition of my skin, knee injuries are more common.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKnapp1983 View Post
    ...would you wear elbow pads or knee pads? I'm curious whether knee or elbow injuries are more common.
    I would have to choose elbow. I've learned to fall in such a way as to protect my wrists (never broken one, never want to) and that ends up hard on my upper body. I answered your question, but in reality, I don't wear any pads most of the time. I have considered finding something very light for my shoulders for non race days. That's what I tend to hit. That's my type of riding though... Singletrack through the trees. I scrape legs a lot, but to me it's minor, and I really don't want to have something on my legs. Now if im doing downhill or practicing something that is a little out of my comfort zone, some pads really help with confidence and take a least a little of the consequences away. It suck to work on improving skills only to have to sit a while because of some silly injury. I should listen to my own advice more often... Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I plan to bring both for bomber downhills but I was curious what people go with for the "lighter" downhills. I have scraped my elbow once and my knee once so far (before I bought pads), so it's a tie for me right now haha.

mtbr member
    I wear hard shell knee pads on nearly every technical ride, almost never wear the elbow pads that are sitting in my gear bag. Going back to the early '80's racing BMX, I've caught plenty of pedals in the shins (anyone else remember Hutch Bear traps?), but comparatively speaking my elbows have gotten off pretty easy. And yes, I ride flats about 50% of the time - just depends on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    clipped into SPD pedals I don't injure my knees unless I crash badly, but it's not uncommon for me to hit elbows/forearms on trees etc, so for average trail riding I use elbow/forearm pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Myself and most others go to knee pads first, and then add elbow pads on crazier trails. Judging by the condition of my skin, knee injuries are more common.
    ^^^This^^^ 100%!!!
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    clipped into SPD pedals I don't injure my knees unless I crash badly...
    Yeah, protective of the knees but for me clipless led to injuring other parts of my body worse in simple low speed get-offs. That's why I switched to flats...and knee pads.
    Do the math.