If only 1 light, helmet or handle bar mount?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

If only 1 light, helmet or handle bar mount?

Which is best? I'm thinking the helmet because the light moves to where you are looking but this is my fist light so educate me.
    Thanks
    Jason
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

lotto baby
    personally, i'd go helmet first. i really like having a handlebar light. its very steady, and usually casts shadows on features so you can see them a little better, but when you are turning, especially when things get tight, the helmet light is better to have IMO.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Helmet... You want where you are looking to be lit...

The bar light (usually much wider than the helmet light) is there to assist peripheral vision.. nothing beats a pair

How do I do that?
    It all depends on where you ride and what you prefer IMO.

I know the overwhelming response favors the helmet for one light only rides for obvious reasons that you stated but I prefer my light mounted on the bars. The trails here in PHX are full of these embedded rocks of all sizes and when I have the light mounted to my helmet, the light kind of washes out these 'tomb stone' rocks because of the angle of the light. If I ride without actively trying to avoid some of these sharp edged rocks, I'll most likely have a frustrating ride.

When it's mounted on the bars, the light creates a visible shadow behind the rocks which allows my eyes to see them better. The downside to bar only mounting is the amount of speed I scrub off before a turn because I can't see around the approaching turn....or sometimes the turn itself! I seemed to have developed a bad habit of performing these quick back and forth steering movements to try and shine a light to where I'm headed sometimes.

I've ridden most of my night rides with the bar light only but just recently figured out the best choice to make regarding the bar vs helmet debate.............

........simply buy another light

If it allows me to have more fun or prevents me from something bad, I think it's def a worthwhile investment

mtbr member
    Helmet for me. I ride twisty single track at night, and a light only on the bars literally leaves you in the dark around corners. Up on the helmet, you get light wherever you look. I was planning on buying another light for the bars, but my single Magicshine is more than enough light for night riding.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Thank you all of the feedback. I plan to buy another light but in the meantime I guess I will try the helmet mount and see how it goes. I just picked up a MS 900 and think a second for the bars would be great.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jay68442, keep in mind that you should always have a back up light (no matter what brand your main light is).
    Even if it's just a simple flashlight, just something to get you back.

I have my MS900 on my helmet, and use thhttp://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567is on my bars.

Close to the same amount of light as the MS.

Just an option.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Jay68442, keep in mind that you should always have a back up light (no matter what brand your main light is).
    +1
    you never know when you could crash and tear a cable or something so better have a back up; specially if you ride alone
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip guys. I do keep a flashlight in my camelbak for loading the bike when finished with a ride. Didn't think about a back up but I guess it would work. I like the light in the link you posted, just may have to order one of those too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut

I have my MS900 on my helmet, and use thhttp://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567is on my bars.

Close to the same amount of light as the MS.

Just an option.

Members who have read this thread: 0