Ideal distance to focus helmet light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ideal distance to focus helmet light?

I知 doing my first night ride later this week. I have a light-set attached to the bars, as well as a helmet light. Unfortunately I知 still waiting for my helmet light mount kit to arrive, so I値l have to attach that with the amazing power of zip-ties! It痴 a

Because I知 mounting it with zip-ties I won稚 be able to adjust the angle of the helmet light while on the trail. So I知 after some advice on the ideal distance to focus the beam? I suppose that痴 a pretty basic question, but I知 not sure how far ahead I値l be looking while night riding.

The trails I値l be riding are reasonably tight and bendy (rather than open fire trails) and I値l be travelling at a decent pace

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You'll want the light to point at what your eyes are looking at, not as easy as it sounds.
    As you have already said you don't know how far ahead you will be looking and of cause your eyes will look around all the time but your head won't.

I would stand with the light on the helmet, maybe in a dark park and focus your eyes on a tree in the distance and then aim the beam to where your eyes are focused.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android
    I知 doing my first night ride later this week. I have a light-set attached to the bars, as well as a helmet light. Unfortunately I知 still waiting for my helmet light mount kit to arrive, so I値l have to attach that with the amazing power of zip-ties! It痴 a

Because I知 mounting it with zip-ties I won稚 be able to adjust the angle of the helmet light while on the trail. So I知 after some advice on the ideal distance to focus the beam? I suppose that痴 a pretty basic question, but I知 not sure how far ahead I値l be looking while night riding.

The trails I値l be riding are reasonably tight and bendy (rather than open fire trails) and I値l be travelling at a decent pace

Thanks!
    First you have to determine the usable throw distance of the light. Then you have to place the light on the helmet in such a way that ( when you are seated on your bike ) the light shines at it's max distance without out having to lift your head too much. If you need to see closer to the bike you simply tilt your head down slightly. Since you're using zip ties it might take you a couple times before you get the mounting down and set. Just have extra zip ties ready when you need them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds like great advice. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0