I want to bring a spare helmet- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

I want to bring a spare helmet

not on my bike, but in the car.

you know when you're taking a noob rider out and they don't have a helmet? if I organize a ride, I won't ride with helmetless folks (if I show up to someone else's organized ride, that's their decision to make, not mine) but I don't want to ditch anyone at the trailhead. especially if the rider traveled to get there.

I'd like to carry some kind of inexpensive helmet I could loan to or give to other riders (the guy who absentmindedly forgot his at home, or the noob who doesn't have one yet).

but is there anything out there that can handle being left in a hot car if it isn't needed? can I put said helmet inside a bag or cooler or something to keep it from melting or getting invisibly damaged by the heat in the car?

group W bench member
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    I'd just get a cheap skate lid, the plastic does as much as the foam to protect skulls on those helmets. Bring the spare pads so you can adjust to size.

group W bench member
    Probably more practical would be a cheap skate lid. I'm sure the foam will degrade somewhat from the heat, but full hardshell will probably still absorb a lot of energy in a crash and skate lids are only like $20.

edit...oops...just like GT said^^
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Cow Clicker
    How hot does your trunk get?

mtbr member
    I met one of my GFs that way. Sullivan Canyon, group ride, she didn't have a helmet, I asked her how much her head was worth, I told my riding buddy that Im getting my hands on those cans, she liked that I cared and the rest was history. I'd bring an extra helmet. The heat won't hurt it as long as it doesn't get direct exposure to the sun.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The heat won't hurt it as long as it doesn't get direct exposure to the sun.
    I had an old cycling helmet that I left in my enclosed trunk for awhile. It showed evidence of melting in the foam when I pulled it out. I now drive a hatchback. There is no "out of direct sun".

And car interiors can exceed 120F in the summer. And when the air temp outside is 110F because you live in TX, 120 inside all that glass is probably conservative.

I think I might get a skate lid and keep it in a soft sided cooler on the floor when I go for a group ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    The Invisible Bicycle Helmet? - Pinkbike
    Dang, that's like an airbag for your head. I wonder how it "knows" when you're going down?

Also, I don't think that would be so practical for mountain biking--a skating helmet (as others have said) is probably your best bet
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A skate lid or cheapo wallyworld helmet. Something is better then nothing and it beats leaving someone behind because they are ill prepared.

T.W.O.
    I do that since I have a few spare helmets not so much for others but I forget my helmet from time to time. I did loan out my helmet to my friends a few times. The good things about that is that helmet always clean after someone else use it, the bad obviously I had to clean it

I put it in a box and use the towel to cover it I found that even the hottest day my helmet stay pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Cooler sounds good but make sure to crack your windows, try to find some shade and use one of those reflective windshield shades. The shades actually work better when placed on the outside of your windshield and held down by the windshield wipers. If there's no shade, try to park so that your covered windshield faces the sun and your hatch avoids direct sunlight.

If you can keep your interior "relatively" cool, then your lid will be spared extreme temps. But, you're right, leaving a helmet in a locked down hatchback is definitely close to baking it in an oven.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    helmets in direct sun can get hot. Just like they do on your head outside. Throw a towel over it.

Members who have read this thread: 0