I need shoes to ride to class...- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

I need shoes to ride to class...

I'm tired of repairing holes in the soles of my running shoes made by my clipless pedals. I need a second set of SPD compatible shoes that I can wear everyday to class after using them on my commute. (I'm not going to use my current shoes as I'm not willing to carry an extra pair of shoes around all day)

My priorities as a student are:

1) Cheap
    2) Won't sound like I'm wearing tap dancing shoes on hard floors
    3) Cheap
    4) Not butt-ugly

Other than that I don't care - color, laces, velcro, whatever. Well, it's probably better that they aren't the "hiking boot" style shoes, since I'll be wearing them with shorts and that might look kind of wierd.

Any suggestions? Brand, model, etc.. I'm definitely not opposed to buying used!

Mac

Its got what plants crave
    661 makes some that look like the average skate shoe. I was considering them.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Made by Shimano (SH-SD65):
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Made by Shimano (SH-SD65):
    Since they were going to compromise anyway, it's too bad Shimano failed to make a casual shoe that ayone would actually wear. They would have been better off pairing up with Teva or Chaco or Reef or someone who knows how to make a decent looking shoe. That way, the consumer gets to win along with the retail store.

Time is not a road.
    Go to the LBS and get that plastic cover that makes SPDs like flat pedals on one side. That'd be the cheapest route I think.

mtbr member

How about flat pedals?

Inexpensive and you won't look too dorky hanging out after your Advanced Rocket Science class.

mtbr member
    I know times are tough for the average student but how about a beater? Have an old bike at home in the garage? Yard sales? Nothing better than an actaul REASON to get another bike. Plus, theft of your main rig would be a b!tch.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted
    How about flat pedals?
    Inexpensive and you won't look too dorky hanging out after your Advanced Rocket Science class.
    changing pedals twice a day (I ride dirt or road nearly everyday in addition to commuting) is not my idea of fun. plus I'd be worried it may increase the wear on the threads and add a chance of stripping out the crank. Oh, and I'm currently planning on building race cars, not rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I know times are tough for the average student but how about a beater? Have an old bike at home in the garage? Yard sales? Nothing better than an actaul REASON to get another bike. Plus, theft of your main rig would be a b!tch.
    not a bad idea at all. I may seriously consider that. it would also be good for times when something on my bike is broken; I wouldn't have to bum rides off my roommates (has happend once or twice this school year)

Mac

Don't touch me!
    Quote Originally Posted by sac02
    I'm tired of repairing holes in the soles of my running shoes made by my clipless pedals. I need a second set of SPD compatible shoes that I can wear everyday to class after using them on my commute. (I'm not going to use my current shoes as I'm not willing to carry an extra pair of shoes around all day)

1) Cheap
    3) Cheap
    4) Not butt-ugly

Other than that I don't care - color, laces, velcro, whatever. Well, it's probably better that they aren't the "hiking boot" style shoes, since I'll be wearing them with shorts and that might look kind of wierd.

Mac
    I use a pair of Lake shoes (bmx style) that I use for my commute. They work decently, not as well as a pair of sneakers for walking around, but definitely better than cycling shoes.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sac02

1) Cheap
    3) Cheap
    4) Not butt-ugly

Mac
    I'm lookin' for the same type of shoe. Except I want one that is buttery smooth and comfy. An all day shoe easy... plenty of flexibility. Don't care how the things look. Just want something that says: "Yes you can wear me" at ALL times. Actually, I want the shoe to perform BETTER for walking and hanging out than for riding... Clicks in and pedals, but walks like licorice dreams....

I can't find that shoe. Anyone got that shoe? It would be a perfect school commuter. Anyone? I want that shoe.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Go to the LBS and get that plastic cover that makes SPDs like flat pedals on one side. That'd be the cheapest route I think.

Ahhh, had those on a Stumpy FSR I bought off a fella. I kept them on at first, but as soon as you got off the road those bad boys sure made a lot of noise shaking around.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Members who have read this thread: 0