I need shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: I need shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I need shoes

I just bought a set of Shimano M520 Pedals...mainly because they were cheap and got decent reviews on here. Now from my understanding, I need to get a pair of shoes for clipless pedals but I have no clue what to get. I looked at the long laundry list of mountain bike shoes for review on this site and got lost instantly. Can anyone give me direction on this? I only want to spend 50 to 75 dollars. If thats even possible these days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just bought a pair of six six ones on Jenson for under 50 bucks. They are not too bad for getting started in clipless.

mtbr member
    My Sette Shoes from Price point are under $40.00.

Probably drunk right now

Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by Stylishxone767
    I just bought a set of Shimano M520 Pedals...mainly because they were cheap and got decent reviews on here. Now from my understanding, I need to get a pair of shoes for clipless pedals but I have no clue what to get. I looked at the long laundry list of mountain bike shoes for review on this site and got lost instantly. Can anyone give me direction on this? I only want to spend 50 to 75 dollars. If thats even possible these days
    They're shoes. You'll have to try them on. My advice is to go to a bunch of local bikes shops and try on shoes in your price range.

mtbr member
    Friend of mine got a pair of Cannondale Roam and really likes them. He says they are much like a hiking shoe just with a slightly stiffer sole. I think he paid $70. I have a pair of Sette Epic Shoes and I love them. I got mine from pricepoint for $75ish I think. They actually came in a combo set with a pair of Time clipless pedals. My shoes are just a tad narrow but not uncomfortably so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My question is, what do a pair of $300 dollar shoes do for you that justifies that kinda money?

renaissance cyclist
    I have Sette Outlaws that have worked OK. Donít count out the LBS. My shoes ran a little larger than I wanted, and they are on the heavy side. I lifted a pair of similar Shimano shoes at the LBS and found that they were much lighter, and If I had bought there I would have been able to try them on. They were also around $40.

renaissance cyclist
    "My question is, what do a pair of $300 dollar shoes do for you that justifies that kinda money?"

Lighter, stiffer, more efficient means of tightening them, possibly better ventilation.

Probably drunk right now

Answers...

Quote Originally Posted by Stylishxone767
    My question is, what do a pair of $300 dollar shoes do for you that justifies that kinda money?
    $300 shoes? Nothing, at our level.

More expensive shoes do have some benefits. Most higher ned shoes are made from synthetic leather, kevlar and have some carbon bits. Most lower end shoes are made from less durable materials.

Performance aside (better venting, better pedaling efficiency, etc.), the value you receive is based on longevity. The more durable materials last longer. Depending on where you ride, as your shoes go through the wet/dry/mud/dirt/wet, etc. cyle, they wear out. The less durable materials wear out faster. Call it a 5:1 ratio. So a $125 pair of shoes will have a lifespan that is 5 times greater than a $50 pair of shoes. If your $50 shoes last you 1 year, after 3 year (and two years of life left in them), the $125 pair of shoes will have provided greater value.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Fit and eject.

Try them on. Get shoes that fit you well. Believe me, you do NOT want to be panicked when trying to eject from your bike while it is skittering out of control.
    Get shoes that conform to the shape of your foot.
    Detachment is the next thing. Cheap shoes are fine if the sole doesn't torsion flex when you're trying to eject. Therefore, the shoe must fit your foot. And the shoe must have a predictable, consistent detachment from the pedal. This probably means a somewhat rigid forward section.
    Try on th shoes and then repeatedly clip and uncilp from YOUR pedals. Repeat this with a variety of sizes and styles of shoes until you get your fit.
    Don't bother with price. Get what fits.

mtbr member
    I picked up these Shimano's at my LBS for $75.....they arent quite as stiff as the mtn racing type shoe, but I can get off my bike and walk for a decent distance.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...1G.-type-.html

My next purchase I will go to the mtn racing style though.....these will still be in my closet for more casual rides with the fam.

All fat, all the time.
    Yes, I agree with the guys that said, TRY THEM ON!! they're shoes, how can you buy them online?...
    If you find some that work, i guess you could by them next pair online...

Some are just like hikers, but with a spot for the cleat to attach to. Some are more sleak & light, that's what I bought, Happy with them, just cold in the winter rides, really need a better warmer set for winter.
    I bought Sidi shoes, about $90 or so from LBS.

Members who have read this thread: 0