I need shoes!- Mtbr.com

Thread: I need shoes!

Apr 2006

I need shoes!

Hey guys. I couldn't find a forum on here that dealt with clothing and shoes and such so I figured the beginner's forum would be alright. If you all want to move this, feel free.

So, I have been getting into riding a little bit more lately. I bought my bike last summer (Trek 4300 w/o disks) and I have loved every minute of it. Now that I've become a better, more frequent trail rider (Castlewood Park in STL, MO), my old, worn out Adidas shoes just don't cut it. The laces get caught and my feet are always slipping.

What are some good shoes for trail riding with standard, factory pedals? I can't spend more than $90.00 or so on these shoes since I don't ride THAT much... Just enough to need some good shoes but not enough to need top of the line.

Thanks.

--Dan

Jul 2007
    The cheapest set of Shimano clipless pedals and shoes would be just a hair over $90.

mtbr member
    Shimano and 661 both have some nice shoes that are made for use with standard pedals.
    take a look at these shimanos http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1185735924497

check nashbar.com, performancebike.com, blueskycycling.com, pricepoint.com, or any of the other 10 million online bike shops. you should be able to find something well under $90.

Apr 2006
    Thanks. I think I'm going to go check out the Trek shop where I bought my bike and see what they have to offer. I might buy something there or just find what I want and look online.

Jul 2007
    Dude, Nashbar had the Shimano m520 pedals for like 36 bucks, and pricepoint had the sette shoes for like 36 bucks too. These are all entry level, and my first stab at clipless, but I love it already. I just bought this stuff like a week ago. Check it out for yourself. Honestly, I am already wondering why I waited so long to go clipless.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaca
    Dude, Nashbar had the Shimano m520 pedals for like 36 bucks, and pricepoint had the sette shoes for like 36 bucks too. These are all entry level, and my first stab at clipless, but I love it already. I just bought this stuff like a week ago. Check it out for yourself. Honestly, I am already wondering why I waited so long to go clipless.

same here. Mostly it was a fear of not being able to get my feet out and biting it. Which I do....a lot....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaca
    same thoughts, but jensonusa.com had the m520's for 29.99 so it was hard to resist. Love em so far

mtbr member
    yeah price point has some great combio deals and the customer service is great in case you get the wrong shoe size.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

local trails rider
    Get shoes that fit you. The sole needs to be rigid. Skateborading shoes might work too. When I ride with shoes that have laces, I tuck the laces into the shoes to prevent them from getting caught in the chainrings.

Pedals with really nasty studs would help the grip too, unless you want to go "clipless".

Jun 2007
    It took me two rides to figure out that sneakers are horrible for riding. I switched over to a light weight hiking boot with me standard pedals. These are doing the trick great until I finally make the switch to clipless. You can pick up good lightweight hiking boots all over. If you know you'll fit into a particular company's sizing then rei's online outlet, sierra trading post, and campmor online are good options. Remember, you're not carrying weight so keep the boots lightweight.

PMBA Beer Guy
    I would try clipless, like other people just said. A set of Shimano MPD 520's will run you $50 at the most (if you search you can find them on sale for less than $50) and a decent set of clipless shoes for less than $50 also.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would also recommend clip-less, or if you don't think your ready for them you could try some cages for awhile? I rode with cages for 5+ years and have recently started riding again and decided to go clipless this time and man it has been an awesome upgrade...so far. I haven't had too much trouble getting in and out but I think using the cages for awhile helped me get ready for the clip-less.

UA

Members who have read this thread: 0