I need new shoes...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I need new shoes...

I've been running Axo Vipers for about 5 years now but they're falling apart. I'm got a size 12, fairly wide but I can wear normal shoes as long as they don't run narrow. Sidi Dominator Mega is the obvious choice but I was hoping to avoid spending that kind of $$$ unless they are THE bomb. Comfort is important but also stiffness and durability. I don't want a shoe who's latch (if there is one) breaks after one season. What do you guys like? Thanks.

Derailleurless
    I like the idea of the Boa closure system I'm seeing on some of the new Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Lake shoes.

But, more than that, I like a shoe that fits, so I never buy mail order OR make sure I can return 'em if they're not right. A couple of brands have inconsistant widths between years or models, so I can't even count on that to work every time.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorry I can't help with advice on size 12's but I am looking for advice on wide fitting shoes. Can I jump in and ask if the advice you have been given/are giving about Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Lake is because they are known as being wide fitting brands? If not, do you know of any?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I need a wide shoe also (size 9). I recently bought a set of Specialized Comps and have put over 100 miles on them and have been quite happy with them. If I remember correctly they retail for around $120. Seems like a good value. If you can find them in your size and they fit well I would recommend them.
    2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 27.5 plus
    2012 Trek Madone 4.7

Oct 2006
    I've been in mid-level Specialized size 48s for about three years now. They're comfy and holding up great. Three straps and plenty of lateral room if you've got wider feet. I paid about $80 for them back in the day.

Members who have read this thread: 0