I need a helmet that doesn't look dumb!- Mtbr.com

Nov 2007

I need a helmet that doesn't look dumb!

I have a very narrow head. Sunglasses are hard to pick out, but helmets are impossible. I look like a big screw. The helmet looks like it come out like a foot from my head. Does anyone have any helmet suggestions. Granted, I would rather look stupid and be alive than look cool and be dead, but there has to be a helmet that would do both (not stupid and dead, the other one).

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Go to you LBS and look at the helmets that come in sizes (as opposed to "youth", "women's", "adult"). They'll be a little more expensive, but they'll also likely be more fitted to your head. They'll all be somewhat bulky since they are helmets though.

Make sure you try on as many different brands as possible (go to different stores) since some will fit more oval (might be good with a narrow head) and some more round.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Check out the Bell Variant ($80). It has a more compact style and comes in three sizes (S,M,L). Just about every LBS probably has one in stock.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I consider myself to have a narrow head b/c normal sunglasses don't work for me. A helmet that fits me well is louis garneau if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to look whenever I go home.

Hardtail Warrior
    Check out the Fox lines of helmets. They don't sell them at all of the LBSs but if you look around it shouldn't be hard to find one that carries them.

Mar 2008

Helmets

You're right about looking like dork rather than dead. Basically everyone looks like a dork in a helmet, but we wouldn't be caught without them. My friend has a name for people who don't wear helmets: Organ Donors.

That said, I have found that Giro helmets tend to fit pretty well on longer narrow heads. Bells seem to fit round heads better. As suggested before, go to the LBS and try a few on. The right helmet will be the one that you find comfortable and don't sweat the looks.

Feb 2008

This one's not bad

mtbr member
    Giro Flak. Hard outer shell, and comes with adhesive cushion inserts to fit almost any head.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I was wrong my helmet is made by Lazer. You may want to try that brand.

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    Giro Flak. Hard outer shell, and comes with adhesive cushion inserts to fit almost any head.
    He's not interested in it fitting his head well, he wants it to look a little better with his head to other people.

I personally would just forget about making it look good (that's not going to happen), and just go for whatever fits well and doesn't look like the one above.

I like Monkeys
    I have a fat head and I've found that the european helmets such as lazer etc are a bit too narrow for me. You may want to take a look at them.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

Members who have read this thread: 0