I love my helmet(s)...use yours!- Mtbr.com
    Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008

I love my helmet(s)...use yours!

I'm posting this here in hopes of reaching a larger audience.

This past Saturday I was riding my regular 12 mile loop at Bonelli Park in Southern California. 200 yards from the end of the trail I went down at a mild 15 mph (I log every ride with a Garmin 705). The wierd part is I do not remember going down, or being down, all that I remember is standing next to my bike swearing like a drunken sailor.

This morning I finally got up the courage to analyze the ride on Topofusion. Come to find out I was OUT, as in OUT COLD for 2 minutes and 20 seconds! You can see it on the playback and I have no memory of it.

This was fireroad. No crazy downhill. No exposure, just an easy as pie fireroad. I suspect I found a rut and was a bit complacent.

Fortunately I always wear a helmet. Needless to say, this one was sacrificed and the replacement will be here today. I can promise you it saved me from serious head trauma and limited me to a minor concussion.

I hate to sound like I'm preaching here, but wear your helmet and always let others know where you're riding,

Thanks for listening! MM

mtbr member
    Glad you're okay.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, you're preaching to the choir, but always good advice regardless. What out though...you'll get labeled as a helmet nazi if you get too excited...LOL!

More to the point in your situation, I find that every helmet I actually broke in a crash was usually never during my more daring and stellar MTB riding moments...LOL! It was usually while just plodding along on a piece of trail I'd ridden many times and bang!...on the ground with a broken helmet. Your observation of "complacency" is probably correct. But whether while riding the Red Bull Rampage or "just riding along", I guess how one gets dead or at least to a vegetated state isn't really important.

mtbr member
    I always cringe when I pass anyone on the trail who's not wearing a helmet. I would've been dead many times before without one. Glad you're ok
    A medical student who wandered into Iowa

mtbr member
    replacing my old, worn out beat up giro with a new vell variant this week. LBS ordered it for me today. i've never busted one, but i've had enough bumps and scrapes to know what could have happened.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Given the whole Natasha Richardson event, I hope you went to the doctor and got checked out.

Glad to hear you are OK.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

mtbr member
    Don't mean to hijack, but how often should you replace a helmet?

wanna dance?
    This is your first time on a helmet thread, isn't it...

DeForest Stump
    Quote Originally Posted by lampy29
    I replace mine when it gets "funky"

Perpetual Hack
    Designed for one good hit only - then replace.

Otherwise from what I have been told, after 3 years or so. The foam ages and looses its ability to absorb. Letting it bang around the back of the car, heat, exposure to UV ( ie using it ) will also hasten its demise.

m

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Pretty much the first time you take a shot that makes you say "DAMN! I'm glad I was wearing my helmet!" That's when you need to get a new one.
    -The world breaks everyone and after some are strong at the broken places.

mtbr member
    Lol. Yeah, first helmet thread.

NMBP
    I passed a couple that was out riding one day. They both had on full body armor, and neither one of them was wearing a helmet.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I passed a couple that was out riding one day. They both had on full body armor, and neither one of them was wearing a helmet.
    That makes no sense whatsoever! I have three main levels of protection. Standard helmet (TSG Evolution), full face helmet and full face helmet with full body armour. Either way, my head is always protected!

Aug 2008
    I walked back to the scene yesterday. It was a rut that went off in another direction. You could clearly see where I went down (smashed plant life and re-arranged rocks). I've ridden that section of trail several hundred times. At that point I was mentally done with my ride and failed to pay attention. Guess I won't be making that mistake again.

mtbr member

Similar accident

First of all I am glad to hear you are ok. My wife and I had an eerily similar experience a few days ago. It was the end of our ride and we were heading down a partially paved fire road, my wife wrecked on a transition from gravel to pavement, going around 10-15 mph. Aside from bruises, she banged her head really hard on the pavement, luckily we always ride with helmets.She was wearing a $20 Schwinn helmet but it saved her from some terrible injuries, she got away with a big headache. It scares me to think of what could have happened so I'm now spending a little more bacon on dome protection. So that is a big +1 on wearing your helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i didnt wear my helmet once....5 stitches, a chunk of hair missing, and a nice scar later i learned my lesson
    i always wear my helmet and wont let someone ride in my group without one.

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Scenario 1 - Rider with helmet crashes, gets knocked out for over 2 minutes. Praises helmet for preventing worse injury.

Scenario 2 - Rider without helmet crashes, gets knocked out for over 2 minutes. Wishes he would have worn a helmet so that he wouldn't have gotten knocked out.

Notice that it is always assumed that things would have been worse without a helmet, The helmet is never blamed for not preventing the head injury that does occur. The problem is that there is really no way of knowing how much energy the helmet did or did not absorb. Wearing a helmet is a good protective measure, but paying attention and not crashing on your head is a much better way to prevent injuries. The best way of all is to stay in a padded room deep in a concrete bunker eating your veggies and running on a treadmill instead of riding a mountain bike.

(In other words, if I choose to launch 20 foot jumps butt nekkid and helmet-less over a ragged piles of rocks infested with rattlesnakes and you choose to wear full body armor and a full face helmet while riding a fire road at 10mph, then so be it. It's all about individual risk tolerance).
    While I agree with your basic statement "It's all about individual risk tolerance." I think that it overlooks a crucial point. Staying in your "padded room deep in a concrete bunker eating your veggies and running on a treadmill" is a huge inconvenience requiring a major life adjustment. Wearing a helmet when you ride is simple and easy, requiring almost no sacrifice. I just think it's important to weight the risk vs. reward in these kinds of discussions.
    -The world breaks everyone and after some are strong at the broken places.

wanna dance?
    Today, I wasn't paying attention and slammed my finger in my desk drawer.

ALWAYS WEAR FULL FINGER GLOVES WHEN SITTING AT YOUR DESK!!!

See that leap I made there? Me, doing a dumb thing and doing it badly enough to get hurt in the process, even if entirely by accident, turns into me speculating on the experiences possible alternate outcomes, then assuming other people don't already know this new morsel of information, getting up and insisting everyone else change their way of life.

I used to wonder how there came to be 140 billion laws in the land of the free.

wanna dance?
    mtbr server goes psychotic again...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Scenario 1 - Rider with helmet crashes, gets knocked out for over 2 minutes. Praises helmet for preventing worse injury.

Scenario 2 - Rider without helmet crashes, gets knocked out for over 2 minutes. Wishes he would have worn a helmet so that he wouldn't have gotten knocked out.

Notice that it is always assumed that things would have been worse without a helmet, The helmet is never blamed for not preventing the head injury that does occur. The problem is that there is really no way of knowing how much energy the helmet did or did not absorb. Wearing a helmet is a good protective measure, but paying attention and not crashing on your head is a much better way to prevent injuries. The best way of all is to stay in a padded room deep in a concrete bunker eating your veggies and running on a treadmill instead of riding a mountain bike.

(In other words, if I choose to launch 20 foot jumps butt nekkid and helmet-less over a ragged piles of rocks infested with rattlesnakes and you choose to wear full body armor and a full face helmet while riding a fire road at 10mph, then so be it. It's all about individual risk tolerance).

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    It's all about individual risk tolerance).
    100% correct. Risk is subjective. I have a wife and daughter who depend on me so my risk tolerance is far less than it was 15 years ago not to mention my ever decreasing pain tolerance. Possibly I should have qualified my post accordingly.
    I knew it would eventually turn into some sort of flame war, sensitive topics usually do.
    Should we talk about seat belts?

Members who have read this thread: 0