I bleed for this! The XC light armor dilemma...- Mtbr.com
    Toby Wong?

I bleed for this! The XC light armor dilemma...

Summer's here, and my legs looks like I had mad-monkey love in a bramble patch....the sure-fire sign of a mountain biker.

After over 15 years of riding, it seems that starting every summer I get a new tube of neosporin and band-aids for the inevitable tree branch scratches, drivetrain mishap lunge/falls, backcountry river crossings, stunts, rock garden scrapes, etc......

finally, after the 3rd bloody left elbow in 5 weeks, the wife suggested the possibility of wearing a bit of armor......but with warm summer temperatures and such, I'm perplexed as to which ones will give me the coverage without being too bulky and hot.

Neoprene just screams hot, and the dirtjumping style large elbow/forearm pads seem like overkill.

suggestions? 661 chicken wing? fox 911?

thanks in advance, and get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Dont have any recommendations, but find myself in the same situation. Youd think w/the carbon craze wed see some cool exoskeleton stuff.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Jun 2004

Yeaaah! Me Too!

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Dont have any recommendations, but find myself in the same situation. Youd think w/the carbon craze wed see some cool exoskeleton stuff.

wayne
    I have a bad knee which I have pounded raw in the past and had to have a couple hundred CC's of fluid drained out of last year. When recently I performed a spectacular digger in a rock garden and swelled it back up...That was the final straw! I am going to buy knee pads. I don't care to much about the leg abrasions but knees like backs will punish you for a long-long time "Joe". So I too will be interested in suggestions.
    Thanks
    Oh and for all you 20 somethings out there who deride this as old guy thinking...Time is a great equaliser.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Me too

......but with warm summer temperatures and such, I'm perplexed as to which ones will give me the coverage without being too bulky and hot.

Neoprene just screams hot, and the dirtjumping style large elbow/forearm pads seem like overkill.

suggestions? 661 chicken wing? fox 911?

thanks in advance, and get out there and ride![/QUOTE]

........or 661 DJ ELbow?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member

consider Rockgarden Airframe

I have been in the same boat and have been using the rockgarden airframe knee/shin gard for the past 8 months for general cross country riding. Overall, I have been pleased. They can still be a little warm, but most pads are. The Rockgardens tend to breath pretty well. I have ridden them in 95+ degree temps (I live in Houston, TX) and found them to be bearable. In lower temps (70's and 80's) they are very comfortable.

The thigh straps tend to slip a little (I think they have fixed this with the newer pads), but the the lower staps are strong enough to hold the pads in place with out any slippage. I did add some extra velcro for added security, but it was probably not needed.

Heres the link to the Rockgarden site.
    http://www.rockgardn.com/

They are worth checking out

USB Rep'n
    check your private message....I just shot you a message
    Last edited by namaSSte; 06-28-2004 at 11:31 AM.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    check your private message....I just shot you a message
    clean out your inbox, dude!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    clean out your inbox, dude!
    I know, I know! Work keeps getting in the way of my personal time...Doh!

Try emailing me instead, k? [email protected]
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Rockgardn

I agree with the other gent who suggested the ROCKGARDN Airframe Knee/Shin. They are great for summer XC riding. Great protection along with awesome airflow. Check'em out click the pic.

Toby Wong?

how about for elbows?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    661 Chichen Wings work great in XC condition, I ride in Southern Cal and they're light and soft. The only draw back is that they don't provide hard cup at elbow point, but for surface protection those are great. i also use Fox Ventilator knee pads which is dirt cheap and again light and simple, they are not for serious downhill but I can easily stuff them in Camelbak and put on in seconds after I clear the peak. You can also paddle with them without stretch the knee cup, which makes the ventilation a lot better and gets the basic protection in most XC condition. If you are looking for least cumbersome and most ventilated pads as I did, those are all you need and they saved my skin well many times.

Jan 2003
    661 Race Lites.

Jun 2004
    I too am trying to decide between these

these

and these

May 2004
    Anyone have change for a nickel?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Same deal, the ROCKGARDN AirFrame Elbow/Forearm.

May 2004

pads

i have the 661 4x4 and race lites for xc go for the race lites the offer a lot of protection and breath well

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    carbon fiber on armor would be a VERY VERY bad idea. Carbon doesn't do nice things when it fails during an impact. Very sharp splinters often result !

mtbr member
    The Dainese pads are worth looking at too. My knee pads wrap around the back of the calf which reduces a lot of pedal damage. They are a little hot but I don't really mind. My Lizard skin neoprene elbows are hot as hell, but they have looked after me. I usually strap the knee pads around my top tube on the climb up, and hang the elbows from the camelbak straps. Put 'em on at the top and let hell break loose. Sometimes the extra weight is worth it for the extra confidence and speed the protection inspires.

May 2004
    Not sure about light armor, but don't get the Fox 911 elbows...they get much too hot.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    I have the veggies and the chicken wings, and I ride the hot and rocky trails of AZ. I rate this gear as so-so. I don't wear the elbow pads very often. I wear the knee pads most every ride on local trails. They aren't exactly cool, but I really don't think about them heatwise while riding. They are however a bit on the uncomfortable side. I usually pull them down around my calf while climbing easy stuff and pull them over my knees when things get tricky and for going down.

A friend has the 661 "Race" pads and those seem more lightweight.

Overall, it seems to me that this is a market segment that is not being well served.

Need Elbow recommendations

Lots of great knee/shin ideas but really would like to hear of a hard shell/soft lining/cool feeling elbow protector for hot weather XC. Does it exist?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    May 2004

i wear shin guards

I got a set of the lizard skin shin guards. I wear them without the plastic insert. They're neoprene but they don't get too hot. The velcro straps are easy to use and make them fit snuggly along the whole length. My legs get beat up mostly on my pedals, frame, handlebars and front tire.

My main criteria when choosing these were that i only wanted shin and not knee protection, and i didn't want something bulky and aggressive looking with the exterior plastic pieces.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love my Core Rat arm guards. Don't know if they still make them, but they're hardly noticeable on a hot ride, yet work amazingly well. They look a lot cooler (temperature wise) than any of the others. Their knee/shin guards look a bit like medieval armor, but probably work well too. Not too expensive either.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    carbon fiber on armor would be a VERY VERY bad idea. Carbon doesn't do nice things when it fails during an impact. Very sharp splinters often result !
    wow.. I'm glad you said that.. I was thinking "aww heck, I could mold some CF knee pads and start selling em"

haha good info man.. good info.

Jan 2004

Roach

After reading this thread, I decided to get new leg armor. I just ordered the Roach FR Leg Armor. I was using the Fox Raptor but, sheesh, talk about Robo Cop. The Roach stuff looks and sounds cumpfy with good air flow and protectection.
    I'll stick to my Troy Lee arm and elbow guards though. No complaints about them at all.

Yup, found Corerat online

Quote Originally Posted by Matno
    I love my Core Rat arm guards. Don't know if they still make them, but they're hardly noticeable on a hot ride, yet work amazingly well. They look a lot cooler (temperature wise) than any of the others. Their knee/shin guards look a bit like medieval armor, but probably work well too. Not too expensive either.

thanks for the advice, they look very promising-fdt

Jun 2004

Second that...

661 race lites at Jenson for $24.99. I race with them and they save me a lot of pain. Also use FOX comp elbow guards they are light and they breathe.

toneetouch

knee pads or knee/shin pads

Good thread. Iím tired of all the bone-hard bruises I get on my knees. I already have one bad knee from getting slammed on the concrete when I was 14, and would really hate to have another to complete the pair.

I was going to buy knee-only pads, mostly because Iíd hate to have the extra weight and heat of shin guards, and also cuz I donít do any fr or dh, so I thought shin guards would be overkill, but it seems like people use the combo versions for xc, too. I bang up my shins alot, but just felt protecting them was a lower priority to protecting my knees.

What do you all think, should I just go ahead and get the knee-shin combo? Does anyone use knee only guards? What are some good ones?

BTW, my wife uses the 661 RaceLites, and thinks theyíre pretty good.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

here's what I'm looking at - (sexy beast)

I've had 2 different 0-mph where I toppled and smacked my thighs on rocks (yes, I have loosened my cleats as far as they're going to go - finally!). One of them made my leg swell like a sausage for 6 weeks. no fun.

So, in addition to knee/shins guards, I'm looking at these sexy undies. Robocop meets lycra, yum. AT least I can mostly hide them under some baggies.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...der-Shorts.htm

-capt p

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Ummm - I think you meant "loosened the tension on the pedals". If you don't have the cleats then tight you won't be able to click out. You'll just turn your foot while the cleat stays in place.
    Then you fall
    Then you hurt
    Then people laugh at you
    Not that that's ever happened to me or anything
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

detail, man, details

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Ummm - I think you meant "loosened the tension on the pedals".

yes

If you don't have the cleats then tight you won't be able to click out. You'll just turn your foot while the cleat stays in place.
    Then you fall
    Then you hurt
    Then people laugh at you
    Not that that's ever happened to me or anything
    or me. actually i've improved - i have most of my wrecks while no one is watching these days.

of course, there's no one to drag me out either...

by the way, I loved buckaroo bonzai.

-capt p

Still chuggin' along
    I'll throw my vote in for the Rockgardn Airframes. Yeah, wearing any armor is going to be hot during the summer but these things ventilate really well and you forget you're wearing anything. Until you crash and they save you

http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...parent_ids/0,1
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    That must be why its used exclusivley in the rehab field for torsional knee braces for high impact athletics.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks