I am so glad I wore my helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I am so glad I wore my helmet

I just got back from a little stroll on the trails, I am so glad I've been wearing my helmet. Just alittle background, the trail I was riding is an old strip pit thats been reclaimed into a wildlife park, and the trails run along top of the overburden piles which are about 25-30feet tall. The tops are about 15-30" wide and they drop off at about a 45* angle.

Well there was a tree down along the trail, so I decided to ride around it, and I completely lost my momentum, and I went to bail off and my shorts got caught up on the seat, so I basically was flung off my bike, and I went to grab for a tree and of course missed, so I basically rag dolled completely down the side of the hill, and my bike came chasing me down and but luckily it missed me. I remember I landed on the back of my head also. Luckily I didn't hit anything hard. But still I think my helmet adsorbed alot of the impact. I really hoping to ride alot this afternoon, but after that I just called it a day and rode home.

Just a chessy profile pic of the overburden piles. I'm thinking of going back out there and taking a pic of it here later this afternoon. I also noticed I kind of sprang my ankle just a tad, its kind of sore. I might head to the doctor to get everything checked out just in case.

Bone stock Gary Fisher Piranha

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    I dont think ive ever been glad i didnt have it on!

How do I do that?
    Glad your okay man Do you not always wear your helmet when your on the trail or something? I only ask because your thread title makes it sound like it was by chance that you happened to have one on.

I'm so used to riding with my helmet, I'd feel naked if I didn't have one on

I happen to only see one organ donor on the trail this morning but saw plenty on the road when I was riding back from the trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Glad your okay man Do you not always wear your helmet when your on the trail or something? I only ask because your thread title makes it sound like it was by chance that you happened to have one on.

I'm so used to riding with my helmet, I'd feel naked if I didn't have one on

I happen to only see one organ donor on the trail this morning but saw plenty on the road when I was riding back from the trail
    I do when I'm on the trails, but when I ride to school/work which is about a 6mi round trip I dont because I I really dont want to lug my helmet around all day and I dont have room in backpack, I would lock it to my bike, but people are retarded here and love to rip stuff off/steal. But I'm thinking I'll just lug it around now or get a bigger bag for now on. Nice little live and learn.
    Last edited by Coolpick87; 09-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Bone stock Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Baggies will kill you. Lesson learned.

From my cold, dead hands

Full face helmet??

Glad this thread came along because just two weeks ago I chipped my front tooth! Not sure how it happened all I know is I went down and when I got back up I was missing some enamel. $500 dollars later I got it fixed but here's my dillema....should I get a full-face helmet? I don't do any extreme downhill riding or racing but I certainly can't afford any more $500 dollar trips to the dentist. I really don't want to look like a poser or something but common sense is telling me to just go out and buy one. What do you guys think? And do any of you wear full-face helmets even when riding moderate trails?

No-Brakes Cougar
    Coolpick, I'm glad you weren't hurt worse! And thank you for wearing a helmet! Your story just illustrated why I am never on the bike without a helmet, regardless of where I am or why. A lot of little situations can compile themselves into a big situation where you'll be wishing you had a helmet on.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    true dat.
    Also true ur avitar.
    My cards are rockin. Game 3 at the Bush in an hour or so.
    I have tickets at the juice box on Wednesday to see em distroy the disastros. But by then we'll have it sewn up and probably be resting regulars. Seeing a top tier Cards pitcher against the 'stros upcoming series is already out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by jarHunter
    I dont think ive ever been glad i didnt have it on!

BMX:Our Shining Future

I am so glad I wore my leather Tide jacket

It would have been a terrible fall without it
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblast
    retarded
    Honestly... ahh I give up

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee
    Glad this thread came along because just two weeks ago I chipped my front tooth! Not sure how it happened all I know is I went down and when I got back up I was missing some enamel. $500 dollars later I got it fixed but here's my dillema....should I get a full-face helmet? I don't do any extreme downhill riding or racing but I certainly can't afford any more $500 dollar trips to the dentist. I really don't want to look like a poser or something but common sense is telling me to just go out and buy one. What do you guys think? And do any of you wear full-face helmets even when riding moderate trails?
    you'll get a full face helmet, and your next major crash will break a couple of ribs. so you'll head out and get a motox plastic chest protector. the next crash after that will break your leg.....

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblast
    retarded

really? that's the main reason i don't like to wear baggies. they've caused several awkward moment, stuck in front of or behind the seat, when i have worn them.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    really? that's the main reason i don't like to wear baggies. they've caused several awkward moment, stuck in front of or behind the seat, when i have worn them.
    hmmm..
    operator error?
    ill fit?

I have no problems
    Honestly... ahh I give up

From my cold, dead hands
    you'll get a full face helmet, and your next major crash will break a couple of ribs. so you'll head out and get a motox plastic chest protector. the next crash after that will break your leg.....
    So, basically, forget the full face helmet idea?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    brilliant

I'm SUCH a square....
    I almost never ride w/o the helmet; I'm so used to having it that I feel worse than naked w/o it!

Decided the other day, during my vacation, to take a little spin around the corner and get some lunch. The whole trip was less than a half-mile, but I felt too vulnerable, like the breeze from passing cars was gonna put me on my head!

The helmet and the bike are just interwoven for me....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Me too man! Helmets are cool. What brand helmet do you ride with? I so understand being naked w/o a helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So, basically, forget the full face helmet idea?
    Do what YOU think is right for YOU. Don't let what anybody else thinks is right for them change what is right for you. If YOU feel more comfortable with a full face helmet - wear it!

There is no way to have enough protective gear that you can never get hurt. Any time you ride (or drive, or walk, or whatever) there is a chance that you could get hurt. Make up your own mind about what risks you are willing to take. My wife quit mtb after her second broken arm. I can respect her decision. I wasted a leg skiing (x-rays on Rider Down) but I keep riding and skiing and whatever feels right to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just found a crack in my helmet this morning (supposed to be first morning back after accident) trying to decide if I'll risk a broken helmet to ride to school. luckily I have a bike shop near campus.

Just Ride.
    hmmm..
    operator error?
    ill fit?

I have no problems
    Agreed. Baggies have never caused me trouble.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    It would have been a terrible fall without it
    Leather Tide jacket ... now that is AWESOME!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    get a Met parachute, perfect!

http://www.met-helmets.com/home.jsp?idrub=8421

The Punk Hucker
    hmmm..
    operator error?
    ill fit?

I have no problems
    No problems either. Actually my bib shorts tend to catch my saddle more than my baggies... You know where the chamois seam is perpendicular to your butt crack...
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    A couple of years ago I went down in some rocks while wearing my helmet (somthing that I did not do a whole lot back then). I got to my feet and realized that my helmet didn't fit right. It turns out, I cracked it almost in two.

So, I wear a helmet now.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    Me too man! Helmets are cool. What brand helmet do you ride with? I so understand being naked w/o a helmet.
    What BRAND of helmet?

Jesus H Christ.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    I am so glad i wore my leather Tide jacket.It would have been a terrible fall without it
    And a baseball cap. Very important.

It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Members who have read this thread: 0