I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals.

Hey guys, I have a DB Recoil 2009,
    I do 90% city biking, & 10% MT (some on the weekends) I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals. For a shoe I知 looking into the Shimano痴 MT41,
    MT51, or MT31.
    Now for a pedal I知 looking into the Shimano痴 PD-M647, PD-M545 or PD-M424
    So let me know what the best combo you will get, or what you think will be the best for me.

Thanks,
    arielDB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let the good times roll.
    Do you have wide feet? If so, you may have some trouble with Shimano shoes. I know I do which is why I chose Specialized Tahoes. If the Shimanos fit you, go with the MT41 or MT51 both of which have straps to help with lace management. Fit is the most important factor to consider with bike shoes, followed by sole stiffness..

For pedals, just get the least expensive set (look for deals). All the shimano pedals I've tried are good quality product, so there's no reason to splurge. A nicer pedal will feel a bit smoother and will be lighter, but it won't make you any faster. It will just make you cry more if you ever break it on a rock.

Considering you'll be doing so much city riding, I'm tempted to take back what I said in your other thread about pedals. 2 dedicated sets (1 clipless, 1 flat) will perform better, but the difference won't really matter for commuting and occasional trail use. The extra versatility on the other hand will be nice to have if you want to ride a short distance and don't feel like putting on clipless shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thanks miniwisejosh, www.nashbar.com are the good??

Thanks miniwisejosh for all your help, on this post & on my other post. I think ill go with you advise, www.nashbar.com has some good prices shoes & pedals what do you think of them??
    Thanks agen

Let the good times roll.
    You're welcome.

I've never dealt with Nashbar. The prices look pretty good though. I have bought stuff from www.pricepoint.com , www.universalcycles.com , www.chainreactioncycles.com , www.treefortbikes.com , www.chainlove.com , and www.hucknroll.com with good results.

I recommend getting shoes from your LBS where you can try some on and even walk around a bit to make sure you get the perfect fit. Lost of places will let you return the shoes as long as cleats haven't been installed yet. Some shops will install the cleats and adjust them for free if you get shoes and cleats together.

Get pedals whereever you find the best deal, even if it's on ebay.

Members who have read this thread: 0