I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals.

Hey guys, I have a DB Recoil 2009,
    I do 90% city biking, & 10% MT (some on the weekends) I知 looking to get my 1st multi purpose shoes & pedals. For a shoe I知 looking into the Shimano痴 MT41,
    MT51, or MT31.
    Now for a pedal I知 looking into the Shimano痴 PD-M647, PD-M545 or PD-M424
    So let me know what the best combo you will get, or what you think will be the best for me.

Thanks,
    arielDB
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I got in the SH-MT41 in the end,

I got in the SH-MT41 in the end, now I got to get the pedals

mtbr member
    I use the MT32's with the 647 pedals with great results. Go M647.

I Have Cookies
    Any one of the three would be fine If it's a money thing go with the 545's they have the better sealed bearings and are usually alot cheaper than the 647's just look around......I accually got mine from amazon.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    On another note, bad choice for a "90% city riding" bike lol.
    M647s are great pedals..

mtbr member

Good job! Another vote for M-647

Me and the girlfriend both ride these and love them. And we have beat the heck out of them on some very rocky Arizona trails.

Also, you have the option with Shimano pedals to use the standard cleat, or the SH-56 Multi Release cleat.

I like the SH-56 cleat because I can dab just as fast as a platform pedal, yet I can attack technical climbs with more power and without my feet coming off the pedals when lunging up rocky climbs like I do with platforms.

If you are a big jumper and whip the bike sideways you may release too easy, but I have ridden them at Gooseberry Mesa, Moab(including "The Whole Enchilada) and all around Tucson's rocky trails including Brown Mountain and Milagrosa, and they work perfect for a technical trail ride. My feet stay on good on the downhills, I get good climbing power and I can dab in an instant. It gives me confidence to attack most any obstacle, and if I chicken out, it is not because I am afraid of not getting out of my pedals. I don't even think about them.

mtbr member
    I have that set up with 545's and Mt 41s. works great for all around riding. Platforms are better on the extreme tecnicals. I try to stay away from this type of riding. except for last weekend, I think I age another year, the tops had steep drops and gap jumps and bottoms steep loose and rocky.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've ridden the Shimano 545s and they are good for clipped in riding on moderate trails.

They aren't good for riding unclipped. They don't have enough grip on the cage to keep your feet from sliding either into the clips or off the pedal.

I switched over to Mallets and I can ride them clipped or unclipped without worry of my foot shifting. They are just as easy to get out of as the 545s but a little harder to clip in and you don't slide into the clip or off of the platform.

As for shoes, I REALLY liked Diadora but find them hard to get now that they are distributed by Cannondale. I went with Mavic last time and they are ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0