Hydro pack to carry helmet/pads?- Mtbr.com
    Justin Vander Pol

Hydro pack to carry helmet/pads?

Anyone have a recommendation on a hydration pack that's great for freeriding? I'm talking about grind up a long logging road and then rip down the trail type stuff. My Camelbak mule just doesn't hold a helmet and armor very well.

I've heard great things about the daKine Apex (or something like that) and the new Camelbak freeride pack.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    the camelbak havoc is what you want. i can fit my full face, all my armour(minus pressure suit, and i guess i could get that on too), 3 liters of water, tools, and whatever other storage you need. its a sweet back. stays secure and overall just works.

SXtreem now
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    the camelbak havoc is what you want. i can fit my full face, all my armour(minus pressure suit, and i guess i could get that on too), 3 liters of water, tools, and whatever other storage you need. its a sweet back. stays secure and overall just works.
    i second that. i just rode w/ my Havoc for the first time a few days ago and it is a great pack. we were doing drops, doubles, and i didnt even notice it on my back. fits my full face snug and has room for my knee/shin gaurds and plenty of other goodies.

ceteris paribus
    The Apex looks like a good choice too, I've been loking foward to getting one soon.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Anyone have a recommendation on a hydration pack that's great for freeriding? I'm talking about grind up a long logging road and then rip down the trail type stuff. My Camelbak mule just doesn't hold a helmet and armor very well.

I've heard great things about the daKine Apex (or something like that) and the new Camelbak freeride pack.
    I got one of the first DaKine Apex packs last year after Interbike (they were demo models before the production run) - and it's been great - holds EVERYTHING you could want along - I can put my leg armor inside the main compartment along with 100oz of water, tools and food items in the small compartment, body armor (full suit) on the straps below, sunglasses in the protected case inside at the top and my helmet in it's secure pocket- carries very well & when you put everything on and tighten it all down - it's very compact

I looked at the Camelback and tried it on - it's not quite as big as the Apex (no place for a full suit really) - although for many people that might be a good thing (sits smaller on your back) - for me, for all my protective gear, the Apex is the better pack - but if you are ONLY going to have one pack for everything - I'd probably go with the Havoc - if you are like me & will use a Camelback (Blowfish for me) for XC rides and a freeride pack for freeriding, go with the Apex

Nov 2004
    I would go with the Havoc, I tried it on at a LBS and it fit really well on my back and it was able to hold a lot of gear. I held all my tools, my helmet and my arm and knee pads.

Justin Vander Pol
    Thanks for the input. I'll try and find a DaKine around here, it would be nice to support a groovy local company. Odd that they're hard to find in Seattle, but Cambak has made great products for years and has a lock on the market. It'll be nice to have armor strapped on securely and not have to worry about it falling off and no more bashed fingers from hanging the full-facer on my bars when I climb.

Having the huge Apex sounds perfect since my Mule is still going strong and is great for xc.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Havoc

Who in town has the Havoc now and how much?
    Thanks,
    Bog

hands up who wants to die
    anyone know where to get the Havoc for cheap? It's $99 everywhere I've looked...

-rob in NY

Bike Hustler
    to me $100 for a pack is kinda steep. I have a Hydorpak overflow ($35) and my FFhelmet hangs perfectly from the meshpocket clip. 3 liter H2O capacity. Although the storage room is limited, the design keeps the load centered verticaly and minimizes the lateral sway of all the weight. as for knee armor, I strap them to the top tube and ride up. all the room you need for tools and a small stash of cliff bars inside with side compression zippers to slim it down if you want.
    just MHO

ceteris paribus
    Hey loozing, be carefull, I used to strap my knee armor to the top tube as well, then I found out it was making me open my knees way too much while pedaling up. So ironically I was slowly getting knee injury from my knee pads.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I'm also probably going to get one of those DaKine Apex Packs this year. They are super nice and well built. Carries everything but the kitchen sink

Dec 2004
    Those both seem like nice packs ill get one of them sometime probably till the price goes down or i find them super cheap but until then everything goes in my Camelback Blowfish

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Got me a Camelbak Havoc!

Picked up a Havoc at Cove. This pack rocks but I can't compare i to the Dakine Apex because I haven't used one. My FF helmet is almost unoticeable in it and my pads strap on beautifully. When I used to hang my helmet from old Camelbak it would rock all over the place and my pads didn't fit too well either. One thing to note, the pack is very big and maybe that's why I like it so much, I'm 6'5" tall and other packs always seemed a bit small.

Justin Vander Pol
    Looked for the Apex here in Seattle and can't find it. No bike shops seems to carry daKine, only board shops. I guess I'll have to order it online. Lame.

Apr 2004
    Looked for the Apex here in Seattle and can't find it. No bike shops seems to carry daKine, only board shops. I guess I'll have to order it online. Lame.

Call Dave at Center Cycle in Renton. He may be able to get it for you. Or Call Tory Monday at Old Town Bicycle in Tacoma. I am pretty sure one of those two shops can hook you up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    REI can order them for you direct from DaKine - ship it to the REI store or you if I remember correctly