HUGE head in need of a HUGE full face helmet- Mtbr.com
    Rubberneck Goose

HUGE head in need of a HUGE full face helmet

I have quite forcefully wedged my head into many a full face helmet without finding that perfect fit. I've tried specialized, THE, Giro, Fox (rampage), and no luck. My official hat size is between 7 5/8 to 7 7/8. I have a Fox XL helmet that I use for x-country purposes, but with my new 2010 Knolly delirium on the way (pre-ordered) I figure its time to man-up and get some better protection , any recomendations? I was considering POC, but can't find a way to try them on (no local dealers)... Any recomendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am in the same boat as you with a large head. I tried almost every helmet (except for POC). Only a Giro Remedy and TLD fit. The TLD (XL-XXL) was the most comfortable and of course, the most expensive.

Eric

Ricky DH
    I wear an XL and my old 661 was the best fit. I have an XL Fox rampage right now, but it's pretty tight in the "jaw area". So my vote would be to go try on some 661's.

mtbr member
    I have a 7 and 3/4ths head size and Giro remedy fits me. You can play with the eXtra pads to better fit your watermelon of a head

mtbr member
    my hat size ranges around 7 3/4 and i had the hardest time finding a helmet. the Troy Lee Designs SE2 fit my head, but i tried on a FOX V1 and that fit a little more snug and it was about half as $ as the TLD helmet, but both are Snell DOT, i couldnt find a regular "bike" helmet full face that fit, they were not wide enough at the crown of my noggin,
    quik edit, all of the helmets i tried on were size XL or L/XL
    pic of the helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful helmet. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Rubberneck Goose
    Ooops, my wife was logged in.Yeah thanks for your suggestions. Its nice to realize i'm not the only one with a mucho grande noggin. I need to find a way to get enough money to buy a Troy Lee Designs. They are sexy!

Proud lame eBiker
    ahhhh threads like this always make me think back to the good ol YetiDHer helmet size threads.....ahhh the memories.

Big wheels keep on truckin.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem. After an exhaustive search, I was unable to find an MTB helmet large enough. I ended up getting a dirt bike helmet, which I was able to get in XXXL. Check into the Vega Viper or something similar.

slow reeezay
    I posted for exactly the same info a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing fitted apart from XXL MX helmets, L Giro Remedy and XL TLD

I went for the Remedy gives the most room for least weight & cash!
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

You Are What You Is
    Yeah, you'll most likely have to go the MX route. Several companies make XXL. The most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on was a Shoei. And the XL was roomier than most. Unfortunately they come at a hefty price. But Shoei and Arai have consistently been the highest safety-rated helmets for MX.

Rubberneck Goose
    Eric, any idea what your hat size or head circumfrence is. I'm pretty intersted in the TLD helmets.

mtbr member
    I'm a 7 5/8 as well and I have both the Remedy (L) and the D2 (XL/XXL). Remedy is roomier, but the D2 is much lighter and has a smaller circumference, and doesn't give me the bobble head feeling.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Yeah, you'll most likely have to go the MX route. Several companies make XXL. The most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on was a Shoei. And the XL was roomier than most. Unfortunately they come at a hefty price. But Shoei and Arai have consistently been the highest safety-rated helmets for MX.
    x2

I'd go with a MX helmet personally. I currently have a TLD D2, but the liner is toast after a minor impact. I bought an XL Fox V3 to fit my 62 cm head, but it looks like I'll have to re-sell it, as my jaw is too wide for the chinbar. Otherwise this is a really nice helmet (I'll let it go for $120 if anyone wants it )

I tried on a Shoei, they are a little heavier than the Fox, but in another league as far as quality. Fit and venting are great. msrp is $550 but they are on sale on ebay for $310 with free shipping for XL and XXL sizes right now. I'm going to pick one up as soon as finances allow.

The Thor Force is a great value, they're on ebay for $69, down from $279. I think the Force is as nice as the Fox V3 but weighs a little more, not sure about the venting.

If you're going to hit your head hard, the Shoei is going to be the helmet to have on, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Goose,

My mellon is 61.5cm measured just above the eyebrows.
    One thing I forgot to mention was that some other helmets did fit but had some really uncomfortable pressure points. Both the Giro Remedy and TLD D2 did not have pressure points.

Eric

Members who have read this thread: 0