How to transport bodyarmor to the top of the hill?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

How to transport bodyarmor to the top of the hill?

With ages apparently also some additional protection starts to come in mind (and also becouse a friend of mine had quite a concrete crach at the end of last year). We do more AM/Enduro riding, but still I am thinking how to fix a bodyarmor to my backpack. Does anybody have an idea how to make a transport to the top (but also with FF helmet and some drinks)? Anybody doing that or not?

I'll see if I'll find any ideas......

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    wear them
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

Underskilled
    +1 wear them

However if you really overheat, most good MTB backpacks will have a helmet holder on the back big enough for a FF.

I take my elbow pads off and strap to my bars.

I don't yet wear chest protection, but strap to the pack would be a guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I sometimes ride to the top of out local dh run. I strap my shin pads to the top tube, wear my armour suit with the kidney strap undone and unzipped, helmet goes on the bars though my Hydrapack Boraccho (sp?) has more than enough room for the FF.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Some packs are designed to take armour- I believe the Dakines do. The Deuter Attack does. Some of the Wingnuts can manage it with their external bungee cords (but they're not designed specifically for armour.)

If you've got a pack already, you might be able to use string (e.g. 4mm climbing cord is perfect) to strap the gear to your pack. Or you could just wrap pads around your handlebars/top tube.

Or you can use one of these:

Its got what plants crave
    My Dakine Nomad will hold a full face helmet and has two cinch straps specifically for leg armor. I don't wear arm protection, but if I had some I could fit it in there as well.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Mk3
    mtbr member
    Throw it in the gondola with you and your bike...

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    My Dakine Nomad will hold a full face helmet and has two cinch straps specifically for leg armor. I don't wear arm protection, but if I had some I could fit it in there as well.
    +1 on the Nomad. I strap the leg armour to the bottom, tuck the arm guards in the XC helmet keeper and attach the full face helmet as well. Surprisingly secure, plus it gives me an excuse to stop at the top of the hill and suit up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't have problems transporting FF, legs and arms protection (a lot of backpack can do it). Plus if you have deuter attack also back is OK. The bigger problem is chest...

That is why I would like to tranport this on to the top http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/multisp...-2-3-neck.html (only withhout neck protector on). The problem is, that the chest is quite on attack, when you fall... So 1 option will be "carry it on to the top of the hill", but this one will be quite "hot" specialy in summer. And the 2 option will be to try to attach it to the back pack with some elastic straps. I just hope, that than it woun't be to difficult to paddal the bike to the top, since to have FF+legs protection+bodyarmor (for arms, back, chest, shoulders)+some drinks .... I'll soon need a Pick-up or gondola

mtbr member
    My Camelbak Uproar is probably big enough to carry a FF, chest protecter,shin/knee pads and arm/elbow pads with enough room for other things. I cant say this for sure as I've never tried it but it is expandable and has a FF carrying spot, of sorts. Upon inspection of Camelbaks site, it looks like they're not making the Uproar this year. Check with your LBS to see if they could get a clearout one for you. Here's a pic of one.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

Rollin' a fatty
    Strap it to the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    +1 on the Nomad.

fuggansonofahowa
    Dakine Apex - made for riding gear, and you have enough room left over to pack a small child. I do like mine for longer rides - I use the Camelback Mule for late afternoon rides. Both are 100oz bladders.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by womble

Or you can use one of these:

DHing with one of those, you'd probably need the armor!

Lots of packs can tie on extra gear, my Deuter packs are pretty friendly for extra gear and a few had especially good helmet packing features aside from tie downs. Don't use the armor myself, though.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use a small dirigible, attached to my pack via a length of twine.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by shark36
    I don't have problems transporting FF, legs and arms protection (a lot of backpack can do it). Plus if you have deuter attack also back is OK. The bigger problem is chest...

That is why I would like to tranport this on to the top http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/multisp...-2-3-neck.html (only withhout neck protector on). The problem is, that the chest is quite on attack, when you fall... So 1 option will be "carry it on to the top of the hill", but this one will be quite "hot" specialy in summer. And the 2 option will be to try to attach it to the back pack with some elastic straps. I just hope, that than it woun't be to difficult to paddal the bike to the top, since to have FF+legs protection+bodyarmor (for arms, back, chest, shoulders)+some drinks .... I'll soon need a Pick-up or gondola
    Jesus you need a full pressure suit, leg armor, a neck protector, AND food and drinks? Why don't you just move to Whistler and ride the shuttles to the top with a cooler and a duffel bag.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    another vote for a nomad. It is just a sweet pack anyways.

mtbr member
    another +1 for the nomad. great pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3
    Throw it in the gondola with you and your bike...

+1

+1 on the Nomad pack as well

mtbr member
    May 2004
    +15 for the nomad.

I'd rather be riding!
    Camelbak Mayhem Large main pocket and expandable outer pocket is made for carrying body armor etc. Also lots of straps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tried it with camelback Mayhem. I fixed the body armor with elastic spider net on the back of the backpack and attached the helmet on it. It was a littel bit heavier to go uphill but without any bigger problems. You will arrive mybe 5-10 minutes latter (on an hour uphill), but at the end, it is not a race uphill So I am almost sure, that it can be done with almost any backpack, if there is motivation

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Or you can just

HTFU
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

banned
    It's a little spendy, but

meow meow
    you could throw a bladder in a regular dakine pack and there you go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use a CamelBak "The Don" and it has space for full armor and a full face helmet. Great pack and not too bulky or too big.

Here are the specs for The Don:

Capacity

100 oz (3 L)
    Cargo

1070 CU IN (17.53 L)

Carry your full-face helmet, armor and more for a full day thrashing the mountain.

Designed to Carry:

Full-face Helmet, Body Armor, Goggles, Extra Layers, Lunch, Tools, Pumps, Spare Tubes, Electronics

mtbr member
    i use a dakine drafter. i usually just wear all the crap but one of out trails starts with a nasty long hike-a-bike. i put the gloves inside the elbow pads....the elbow pads inside the knee pads...and then the whole bundle goes in the little helmet pouch on the pack and is held in with the straps. helmet just hangs off the back.

Chronic 1st-timer

Dude looks like he's ready for a night out on the town, probably heading to Ramrod.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Exactly my brunch outfit. Wow!

Members who have read this thread: 0