How NOT to wear a helmet- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    dirty trail dog
    Reputation: Rebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    601

    How NOT to wear a helmet

    There was a story on the news Thursday about this giant friggin snake carcass floating in some pond near a Tampa Bay nature trail.

    The only bicyclist they could find to talk to was this nice young lady:




    Here's the story.
    https://tinyurl.com/y5yo9g

    Now, I've tried my helmet on backwards, but only when I was screwing around, and it's not very comfortable. Why would anyone try to wear it like this? And why doesn't someone correct this for the poor woman before she kills herself?

    Oh lord.
    yep...

  2. #2
    Live fast. die younG.
    Reputation: keeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    210
    it's just hard to look at that poor woman without laughing out loud. It's gotta suck to spend your 15 seconds of fame looking like a dumbarse

  3. #3
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    maybe better ventilation when worn backwards

  4. #4
    I railed it like Kong
    Reputation: Arkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    637
    Someone should look up Susan's number and call her. That's funny.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,109
    How is that even remotely comfortable? Even out of the box, helmets come with the straps sorta close to set-up correctly. How do you sit there and re-strap the helmet that way, trying it on, re-strapping, etc, then finish with that result, look in the mirror and think "Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!"

    Sheesh, some people's kids!

    Cheers, Chris

  6. #6
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedcarp
    There was a story on the news Thursday about this giant friggin snake carcass floating in some pond near a Tampa Bay nature trail.

    The only bicyclist they could find to talk to was this nice young lady:




    Hey,,,I know her! Thats Cindy Howell's sister! Are those Ryder sunglasses she's wearing? Speaking of Cindy,,, how's the 'ol bit,, scratch that,,, babe doing? She get her money yet?




    .
    Last edited by zon; 12-08-2006 at 09:18 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  7. #7
    dirty trail dog
    Reputation: Rebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    601
    I wonder if she was riding sans helmet, with just her cute little hat on, and someone asked her if she wanted to be on TV. She says yes, and someone hands her a helmet so she doesn't look like a complete doofus.

    Kinda backfired if that's the case.
    yep...

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    maybe better ventilation when worn backwards
    Holy crap thats funny!!!

  9. #9
    bob
    bob is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    489
    The video is running on CNN.com. It's the video about the dead python in a park near Tampa. I saw it yesterday and wondered how long it would take to end up on passion.

  10. #10
    Occupation: Human
    Reputation: mtbnewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    250

    dyslexia...

    never heard of helmet dyslexia before...
    semper ad excelsum

  11. #11
    desert dweller
    Reputation: mattbikeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb
    it's just hard to look at that poor woman without laughing out loud. It's gotta suck to spend your 15 seconds of fame looking like a dumbarse
    You're a much better person than I am. I saw that video yesterday and immediately started to laugh out loud. Imagine, your 15 seconds of national fame and you look like a dope. At least I only look like a dope around my family and my riding buddies. I guess that is why she is wearing the ball cap underneath -- we all know those pesky bike helmets aren't at all comfortable.

    mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 12-08-2006 at 02:26 PM.

  12. #12
    Mmmm Rocks Good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    645
    This is proof of natures process of natural selection! The gene pool is a bit shallow in this poor woman!

  13. #13
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,130
    "Giro Roc Loc?.... yep its a workin'. Keeps this fool thing from slippin' off da back me head."
    Don't harsh my mello

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    26
    I love it when you point out someone's got a helmet on backwards and they argue with you about it... "No, it's right, you can tell by the aerodynamics. Duh."

  15. #15
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,423
    I see this at least a couple times a year. A while back at the Interbike Dirt Demo, I was kicking back under a tree right across from a recumbant manufacturers tent. Me and a bunch of other people taking a break couldn't control our laughter after watching a guy put his helmet on backwards and go for a spin on one of those contraptions.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  16. #16
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    whoops! just got caught by a coworker for LOL!

    poor woman.

    hehehe

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    409
    Someone started with wearing a hat backwards. Then Criss Cross wore their pants backwards, and now someone wears their helmet backwards. WILL IT EVER END???

  18. #18
    Yummy
    Reputation: K'Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,262
    God you guys are all a bunch of square-asses! Don't you know the cool people wear helmets backwards? Like ball caps, you need to make a statement about your total apathy for the "right" way to wear them in order to be cool.

    My prediction for next year, the cutting edge of cool will be to wear your bike helmet at a jaunty angle, with the visor bent upward.

    Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

  19. #19
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,923

    hat under helmet in Florida

    I don't know how people ride with hats under their helmets when it's above freezing. Makes me sweat just thinking about it.

    And how she managed to get that helmet on like that puzzles the heck out of me. Did she put it on the right way and decide "that was too easy, it must go the other way"?
    We all get it in the end.

  20. #20
    The Notorious S.L.O
    Reputation: btadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by EscourtU
    . Then Criss Cross wore their pants backwards. WILL IT EVER END???
    extra points for the obsure rap/hip hop reference.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    70
    It has ocurred to me that this is why so many helmets have visors on them now. Not only are they useful to keep the sun out of your eyes, they also indicate which direction to wear the helmet. It does seem to be a common problem.

  22. #22
    dirty trail dog
    Reputation: Rebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe
    It has ocurred to me that this is why so many helmets have visors on them now. Not only are they useful to keep the sun out of your eyes, they also indicate which direction to wear the helmet. It does seem to be a common problem.
    I thought that was so your neck didn't get sunburned.




    yep...

  23. #23
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,423
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Did she put it on the right way and decide "that was too easy, it must go the other way"?
    Hehehehe
    "Do not touch the trim"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    extra points for the obsure rap/hip hop reference.
    JUMP! JUMP!

  25. #25
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    God you guys are all a bunch of square-asses! Don't you know the cool people wear helmets backwards? Like ball caps, you need to make a statement about your total apathy for the "right" way to wear them in order to be cool.

    My prediction for next year, the cutting edge of cool will be to wear your bike helmet at a jaunty angle, with the visor bent upward.

    Kn.
    No, the uber cool will be wearing them sideways with the visor flattened out.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    289
    The backwards helmet style is quite common

    Since I found quite a few i'll just link the pictures

    https://kathyandmatt.net/img/tri/par...e04/helmet.jpg
    Is this guy actually in a bike race???

    https://www.nashvillecyclist.com/pag...roll/tthat.jpg
    I think this was done as a joke, but gorgeous none the less

    https://www.kpea.org/kath.jpg
    BEEP BEEP

    https://www.rknibbe.com/NovaScotia/I...tBackwards.jpg
    At least her head will be safe if she falls over the guard railing.

    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_...3362b90y0r.jpg
    No "popping wheelies" for you son

    https://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/co...0backwards.jpg
    Saved the best picture for last! I don't even know what to say to this one.

  27. #27
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    extra points for the obsure rap/hip hop reference.
    Except he got it wrong--it's Kriss Kross . . . .

    so no points.

  28. #28

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    The backwards helmet style is quite common

    Since I found quite a few i'll just link the pictures

    https://kathyandmatt.net/img/tri/par...e04/helmet.jpg
    Is this guy actually in a bike race???

    https://www.nashvillecyclist.com/pag...roll/tthat.jpg
    I think this was done as a joke, but gorgeous none the less

    https://www.kpea.org/kath.jpg
    BEEP BEEP

    https://www.rknibbe.com/NovaScotia/I...tBackwards.jpg
    At least her head will be safe if she falls over the guard railing.

    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_...3362b90y0r.jpg
    No "popping wheelies" for you son

    https://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/co...0backwards.jpg
    Saved the best picture for last! I don't even know what to say to this one.
    Gorgeous?

  29. #29

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    409
    Forgive me as I am not into Hip-Hop. When their career went backwards after that stint they had to change their name and clothing to start going the correct way.

  30. #30
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    I don't know how people ride with hats under their helmets when it's above freezing. Makes me sweat just thinking about it.

    And how she managed to get that helmet on like that puzzles the heck out of me. Did she put it on the right way and decide "that was too easy, it must go the other way"?

    humidity + Hats = stupidity
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  31. #31
    I live to bike
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,367
    Helmets should come with little arrows that say "This way front." Come to think of it, some do. I work in a shop and almost half the customers I help find a helmet either ask, "which way is front?" or just stick it on backwards before I can show them how to put it on. Apparently, something that appears obvious to most just isn't so for some people.

  32. #32
    Code Monkey
    Reputation: MikeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    The backwards helmet style is quite common
    http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/col...0backwards.jpg
    Saved the best picture for last! I don't even know what to say to this one.
    People love the old drool bucket ... er, I mean plastic chinstrap helmets.
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

  33. #33
    over 50 years of cycling
    Reputation: Twisted Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    533

    ... and if we just ... as though helmets LOOK cool in ANY direction

    Oh yah! Wearing a helmet the right way while walking around off the bike looks soooo much cooler.....D'oh!

    Which is why I remove my helmet if I am voluntarily more than 5 feet away from my bike or not planning on riding away on it any time soon.....
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    How is that even remotely comfortable? Even out of the box, helmets come with the straps sorta close to set-up correctly. How do you sit there and re-strap the helmet that way, trying it on, re-strapping, etc, then finish with that result, look in the mirror and think "Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!"

    Sheesh, some people's kids!

    Cheers, Chris
    OK, I have to ask... you actually check yourself in the mirror after getting your "kit" on?

    I just gear up and go.....

  35. #35
    Dirt Eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    301
    I work on the trail. I stop people at least once a week to tell them to turn their helmet around or give them some instruction on how to adjust their straps. Its depressing.

  36. #36

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    109
    The dumbing down of TV ?

    Never mind the daft lassie, someone post a picture of the snake !!

    Or was it just a piece of irrigation pipe with eyes painted on ?

  37. #37
    avg. joe
    Reputation: STinGa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    657
    [QUOTE=Jwiffle]Helmets should come with little arrows that say "This way front." /QUOTE]

    Printing the directions wouldn't help. I have seen more than a few of these set up facing the wrong way ... and they are labeled (luckily it has always been during training exercises).

    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

  38. #38
    Team Cspine
    Reputation: bulletbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    492

    The last one...

    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/col...0backwards.jpg
    Saved the best picture for last! I don't even know what to say to this one.
    ...reminds of this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry what?

  39. #39
    Dirt Eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    301
    Theres a link to picture in the OP. It wasnt as big as the news would like you to think. Well, origonally it wasnt. After sitting in the water bloating for a couple days, it got large.

    Oh, yeah, it was a VERY pretty snake. Shame on the idiot who let it go. Someone would have taken it or paid money for it.

  40. #40

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Good job! Awesome research!!!

    Awesome research!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    The backwards helmet style is quite common

    Since I found quite a few i'll just link the pictures

    https://kathyandmatt.net/img/tri/par...e04/helmet.jpg
    Is this guy actually in a bike race???

    https://www.nashvillecyclist.com/pag...roll/tthat.jpg
    I think this was done as a joke, but gorgeous none the less

    https://www.kpea.org/kath.jpg
    BEEP BEEP

    https://www.rknibbe.com/NovaScotia/I...tBackwards.jpg
    At least her head will be safe if she falls over the guard railing.

    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_...3362b90y0r.jpg
    No "popping wheelies" for you son

    https://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/co...0backwards.jpg
    Saved the best picture for last! I don't even know what to say to this one.

  41. #41
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,701

    She attended the University of Non-Conforming Bikers
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  42. #42
    ~I Ride In Circles ~
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,629
    Thats just too funny.. I feel bad for them all
    ~ it's all good ~

  43. #43
    Art is Resistance
    Reputation: djcrb9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,375
    That's just classic... and to think it was on CN!

    My old boss had a routine where he'd wear his green Giro E2 backwards... if you remember it, it was in '02 i think, but the Roc Loc things were red. They went right over his eyes, and it was a great alien look.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.