How much protection?- Mtbr.com
    InnerF1ame
    Jul 2008

How much protection?

Ok. How much.. I want to do what I can to avoid injury. Currently I have a helmet and glasses.

I plan to get elbow and knee protection.

So. Tell me about shorts and compression shirts. They come in a wide range. Is it too much? Or something to work towards. I know I am trying to cut weight and my skills will increase. Maybe I should wait to purchase this item?

To narrow things down a bit. I am riding mostly in the trail/AM catagory. And honestly I might be riding trails that are closer to xc.

I am starting to try more technical sections. Roots trees and tight sections that i am slowing down instead of flying through. I am trying to get into the air more, However, at this time I am only encountering drops of 2-3'.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    Personally, my preferred attire is lined DH shorts, gloves, a helmet, and kneepads. My arms take some hits, but they're always glancing blows where i get some scratches, but no impacts. Same goes for my head, tbh. Knees take a beating, though, and so kneepads go on every ride where i'm entertained. It takes about 2 dozen wrecks to kill a pair of dh shorts, and they're great for protecting against abrasion until then. They do a great job of staying out of the way, too; worth the expense. Been really happy with spandex boxer briefs like these under them, they keep everything in place nicely. Padding belongs on the saddle, not attached to my crotch.

I add long sleeves, goggles, and a full face at the bike park.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    A helmet w/ good side/rear coverage... full finger gloves with knuckle protection... + I've recently purchased some knee pads & they've saved my bacon already =)

Update: suitable eyewear o_0

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Since it was brought up briefly already in this thread, I will ask: is anything typically recommended for between the legs? I am about to buy my first nice bike and plan to do a lot of riding in the AM/XC realm. I have never sat a bike for long periods of time so I don't know what to expect down there.

InnerF1ame
    Jul 2008
    They sell padded underwear called chamois... that help with the seat.

mtbr member
    There is no standard recommendation. Wear whatever protective gear makes you comfortable but be aware that it's not going to prevent all injuries. Fingers/hands/wrists in particular are pretty much always going to be vulnerable.

Personally, I wear as much as I can stand given the temperatures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wear different gear for different riding. The more peddling involved, the less armor I wear. Eyes, head and hands are always protected , I also wear calf high socks to help a hair.

Finally!
    I always wear eye protection, full finger gloves with knuckle protection, chamois and a helmet. If I am stepping it up past simple XC I add knee and elbow pads. If I am doing anything beyond that it's my full face helmet and chest protector. It really comes down to what you ride will be so there is no simple answer.

@njcshreds
    It definitely depends on what you feel comfortable in. Unless I'm on my road bike, my minimum protection is a lid and gloves. I wear shorts with the built in chamois for trail riding and always wear glasses. Also, under my t shirt I'll wear an Under Armor shirt... that helps with sweat management but has also saved me some road rash / pebbles getting stuck after a wipe out.

Personally, I think a good set of bike shorts is all you need to ride trails (in addition to what you got now).
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For "all day" rides.. basic riding with the guys taking it easy.
    Gloves, 3/4 helmet, decent shoes.
    I used to wear boardies (swimmers basically) and normal glasses (for seeing cause I'm blind) But have recently upgraded to proper shorts and proper riding glasses.

If i know I'm doing anything abit more serious, or I'm riding with that one guy who loves to push my limits then I'll ride with abit more protection. Usually at a cost to weight/heat.
    More often than not, I've started riding with a full face (Met Parachute, surprisingly light and breathable), proper padded riding shorts, hard outer knee/shin pads.. and now riding glasses.

InnerF1ame
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    For "all day" rides.. basic riding with the guys taking it easy.
    Gloves, 3/4 helmet, decent shoes.
    I used to wear boardies (swimmers basically) and normal glasses (for seeing cause I'm blind) But have recently upgraded to proper shorts and proper riding glasses.

If i know I'm doing anything abit more serious, or I'm riding with that one guy who loves to push my limits then I'll ride with abit more protection. Usually at a cost to weight/heat.
    More often than not, I've started riding with a full face (Met Parachute, surprisingly light and breathable), proper padded riding shorts, hard outer knee/shin pads.. and now riding glasses.
    What type of riding are you doing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Gravity sessions.. riding down and either fire/road back up, or walking (and riding where possible) back up the trails.

Few jumps, fast berms, many rocks, many trees.
    Very natural trails.

Saying that, I feel as tho the Parachute breathes well enough that I would even wear it now on an all day ride (as they usually end up finishing on the above mentioned trails)
    And strap my knee/shin pads to my bag.
    *they are IXS Cleavers. Pretty robust and have held up to a few falls.

beater
    Helmet, gloves, knee pads for every ride. If I'm riding in a park or somewhere rowdy, I might add elbow pads. If I'm riding a park or a trail that is purely up then purely down, I'll take a full-face helmet. In that case, I'll wear goggles instead of sunglasses.