how much armor do you wear?- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

how much armor do you wear?

ok so i got my DH rig buit up, now i need to pick up some armor. how much do you guys wear? shin guards are obvious, but what does everyone wear up top, full crash suits? arm elbo pads? right now im considering the THE storm leg armor and a 661 pressure suit. thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Most people wear the full armor suits but I usually only wear a full face helmet and gloves, maybe shin guards if it is a hard trail and I will add elbow pads if I am at a resort.

clyde in training
    skate style helmet and gloves.
    full face is a really good idea, and so are shin guards, but I travel light

Glad to Be Alive
    I wear full face, gloves, Azonic Z-6, and leg armour.....on some trails hip protection too....to me it just feels like normal riding because I always wear it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jul 2004
    If its hella rocky ill wear the full suit, but if not I try to get away with full face and gloves whenever posible. I ride better with less armor on > true story

moaaar shimz
    Just a condom and a pair of socks

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya

you know what they say - wrap it before you....... huck it?

don't move for trees
    Full face of course
    then i sport some 661 knee/shin guards
    I also have a 661 preasure suite, but i only wear it on trails for the first couple times.

"Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If the terrain is really sketchy--- Race Face Rally FR arm/elbow armor. (A pressure suit would be nice)

For normal All Mountain style riding, either soft pads or no pads at all. Believe it or not, I have found long sleeve jerseys to provide some degree of protection from minor scratches. Also, socks that go to the mid chin have saved me quite a few times from the pins on my platform pedals!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    for dj/trail riding just a pair of knee pads and a skate helmet

DH/Racing/Resort riding fullface,shinguards,armored shorts, full presure suit, bassicly head to toe protection because rocks are really hard.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    it really depends on the trails... for really rocky stuff or places with alot of exposure I usually wear the body condom (661pressure suit) with roach knee/shin guards (these are sweet) and a full face. I am considering the 661 core saver for when i don't want to wear a whole suit.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...3-a2f5afd07716

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    661 core saver- thanks!

Apr 2007
    those THE storm knee/shin guards feel real comfortable, just bought some. but ill wear those, a full face, and gloves on most rides. im thinking of elbow pads since my last fall, but then again might as well buy something like the pressure suit. just gotta save up.

mtbr member
    On the big bike: CoreRat Knee pads, Roach elbow-forearm, FF helmet and gloves. I don't use the shin pads as much. I figure while a shin bash hurts like fvck, it's not really a critical area like joints or noggin.

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...

Feb 2007
    I got the 07 MACE short sleeve. Very nice and comfortable. mace elbow and knee/shins.
    Hard to find though.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Bob, what are you using as hip protection? I sometimes use those triangular inserts that came out of my dirt motor pants. The velcro tab on the pads sticks to the lycra lining in all of my baggies. I figured that maybe you were using the pads "with wings".

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    you know what they say - wrap it before you....... huck it?
    Well, he has to find some sort of use for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    for DH/FR i wear a Full Face, gloves and knee/shin gaurds (but only if i have shorts on). for DJ/Park gloves and Sk8Lid. and for Street i just use gloves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I used to always wear my 661 Pressure suit, gloves, full face, and shin guards when doing resort riding like Whistler and Northstar...

Last year I did a ton of riding over the summer in different places (Bellingham and Nelson) and wore only an XC lid and gloves on everything. Kinda dumb, I guess, but I'm still here...

I also rode at Whistler for a couple weeks and wore a full face and gloves.

I would probably wear shin guards/top suit if they fit better, but I still need to get some of those things that go over your shin pads to lock them in place, and a better fitting top suit.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I wear knee pads, gloves, and a full face every time I ride DH (sometimes no kneepads, if I'm wearing long pants)... I have a 661 Pro Pressure suit that I pretty much never wear but I keep in the event of riding any super gnar trails that might do me seriously bodily harm.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006FisherPHD
    Well, he has to find some sort of use for them.
    burn of the week

I wear fullface/ goggles, shin pads, gloves...

when i ride street im just gloves... skate helmet sometimes when im doing biggerish stuff..
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    A Cup, Speedo, and a Cross Country Helmet!!!!!! I just had to be funny on this one.

Normaly run 661 Knee pads, Upper body suit, and a Full Face helmet.
    Ride!

When in doubt, go faster
    Full face helmet, gloves and long pants. Sometimes arm guards. I need to get shin guards before this summer tho, and maybe some body armor.

Aug 2005
    Humm, In races I'm wearing my Full Face , My 661 pressure suit , Knee and shin guard, padded shorts and a pair of gloves. The thin to remember is to never wear shoes as it slow you down too much!:P But for normal riding, a helmet a jersey and knee/shin guards is OK!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I figured that maybe you were using the pads "with wings".
    Yeah Bob, stay away from "pads with wings", they're fr girls you know

Look at the time!
    Apply some logic thinking:

What are the parts of your body that you absolutely have to protect?

- the head, the face for obvious reasons -> full face helmet for anything FR related. If you crash at speed, there is no way you can keep your head/face of the ground with you arms while sliding over the ground.

- your spine. If you tumble down a hill, it only takes one rock of the right size to crack your spine and you're done riding forever. So, get a back protector. I have landed on a rock just like that and it hurt a lot, even though I was wearing a back protector. If not for that thing, I'd probably be doing wheelchair DH now.

- your knees. You are going to land on them almost every time you crash, and it's easy to fyck them up for good.

anything else is not as important. Slam your pedals into your shins, big deal, it hurts but it will heal. Ellbows are similiar to the knees but you probably won't land on them as hard*. Broken ribs heal*. Broken collarbones heal*

So, the minimum equipment list would be:
    full face helmet, back protector, knee pads (and gloves)

I would wear that stuff no matter how hot it is.

of course, if you are going to wear a back protector and maybe ellbow pads, you might just as well get a full upper body kit and protect your ribs and shoulders, too. If you are going to wear knee pads, you could just as well get knee shin guards if you tend to smash your shins. It's your choice where you want to draw the line.

*well unless you are unlucky.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I usually just taco a mattress across my back and cinch it down with a bungee cords.

Other times, I'll were a full face helmet, goggles, dirt jumper type knee pads, or North-shore type knee and shin combos, elbow/fore arm pads, and a pressure suit with the arm pads cut off, and armored drawers. Some times I'll omit the pressure suit, arm pads, and armored drawers. Most of it is 661, except for the north shore type of knee and shin guards, made by Roach.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Were are you ridding in Mexico, that you need a condom..... Tijuana?

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    Slam your pedals into your shins, big deal, it hurts but it will heal.
    Fyck you, the shin slam is one of the worst pains possible...

NO WAY JOSE

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    definatly a full face helmet and for the rest of the stuff dont be afraid to spend money because you need armor that fits so well that you can barely tell its on. if you dont then youll feel uncofortable and Thats when your bound to crash the most

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tedalsop
    ok so i got my DH rig buit up, now i need to pick up some armor. how much do you guys wear? shin guards are obvious, but what does everyone wear up top, full crash suits? arm elbo pads? right now im considering the THE storm leg armor and a 661 pressure suit. thanks for the help
    Hey i have a brand spankin new 661 pressure suit. Size M.(im 5'9 and fits fine) for sale
    150$. Ive only tried it on never acctually worn into battle.( my mom thought i was gonna go super extreme and that i needed one for somereason. but i dont fall) PM me if your interested. I have pics and stuff too. not a scratch and ill ship it for free

Look at the time!
    Fyck you, the shin slam is one of the worst pains possible...

NO WAY JOSE

You don't have to tell me it hurts, I run Tioga MX Pros and my shins look like the surface of the moon just from the times were I wasn't wearing my shinguards.

Thing is, I can still walk. Shin damage is pain and cosmetics, but it is not really dangerous unless it gets infected. Damage your knees however, and you might end up with an artificial joint..

my point is, if you want a minimum armor list, you could go without shinguard. Which, by the way, a lot of DH racers have been doing for years.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Aug 2006
    I wear,

-fullface
    -gloves
    -shin guards
    -jersey
    -paded shorts
    -skate shoes

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It amazes me how few people wear arms and elbows. I guess I can see it at a ski area where there is soft soil, but where I ride its just pretty much rocks, super hard groung leading into more rocks. The other day I talked to a guy and it was his first ride out after a year and a half due to a shattered elbow.

May 2004
    if it's just a short local ride, usually just my helmet and gloves...
    sometimes my full shin/knee pads if i expect to be leaving the ground a bit more than normal.

if it's a 'real' mountain ride, then i wear shin pads & upper body armour

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For DJing/urban/agressive (blue-black) trail, i wear regular XC helmet, gloves and shin guards. if i am soing shuttle runs or am gonna try a new big double or big drop, i wear arms, legs, chest and full face. full face gets waaay too hot to wear it on every single ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Like some I am also amazed of how many wear minimum protection. There are only two types of riders.... those who have been down and those who will go down PERIOD. I always wear full face, chest/back, elbows, knee/shin, and sometimes ankle supports. I have enough hardware in me to build a bike. Lesson learned!

Bum Buzzer
    Always a helmet - Fullface for speed or nasty trails OR silly tech. Always at least shin guards -- next step add knee pads, next step add elbows, next stop an armor jacket.

I pretty much always bring the full kit to DH as I tend to ride til I drop and I know Ive had enough when I can barely hang on any more -- so theres potential for some bodily harm there.....

Mot of the time I rock my Xen and some shin guards regardless,.

No Fear
    661 full comp / Azonic knee shins / Giant elbow fore arms / SPX MX style body armour ( arm removed / full finger gloves / glasses / Backpack for better spinal protection
    A rider/online bike shop owner/Mechanic From Iran

Jan 2006
    http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1872.asp

I only use a full face, shins and gloves but after watching this a couple of weeks ago I'm starting to rethink that.

T.Dot Represent
    for dh i wear : 661 pressure suit, 661 cedric gracia gloves (carbon knuckles saved me 3 tiems last year), giro remedy helmet with a chin jock, raceface rally fr knee shinnys

for trail riding: regular fox gloves, knee shinnys if its moderatly warm but if its hot no knee shinnys, and a bucket style helmet
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

PSK
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    1st I had a helmit and gloves. Then I crashed and got a concussion, broke my hand and took the skin off of half of my face. Then I got a fullface and shinpads. Then I crashed and cut up my arm, so I got a pressure suit. Now Iím invincible.

EastBaySteez
    some gloves, ff helmet, and my B-1 Bombshell shingaurds.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Full grown man
    When I'm on my dh bike I wear the same thing regardless of the trail:
    Fullface w/goggles
    Arm/elbow guards
    Shin guards(get the Roach Rally--great pads!)
    Rockgardn Flak Vest -- spine protection
    Padded shorts
    I'm getting up there in years(45 years old) and don't heal as fast as I used to