How many miles are you getting out of your mtb shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How many miles are you getting out of your mtb shoes?

I know it depends on the type of riding, conditions, your level of foot funk, how well you take care of them, etc, etc...BUT, in general, how many miles are you getting out of your shoes.

I've got about 3k miles on my current shoes which are Pearl Izumi Project X-Project 2.0, and they are starting to fall apart. That's about 2.5 years of riding. I'm medium hard on my gear when riding, but always take good care of my stuff afterwards (e.g. cleaning and drying them after a wet or muddy ride).

My previous shoes were Sidi Dominator 4 which I rode for about 12 years (10k+++ miles) and they are still going strong (with the exception of a hole worn out on the outside of the right shoe as a result of hitting the shoe against the same damn rock time and time again on my local trails). The only reason I stopped wearing them is because I needed better traction when off the bike - the hard Sidi plastic soles can be treacherous when walking on wet roots or rocks!

Anyway, what do you wear and how many miles do you typically get?

Rollin' a fatty
    Don't know about miles but my Shimano M087 shoes lasted 5 years used 3-4 times a week in snow, mud, water and dirt, recently broke and replaced them with Bontrager Rhythm.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 04-14-2016 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    7 years out of my northwave shoes! Im going on my 3rd set of insoles, but these things have been the best quality shoes ive ever had. They seem super unpopular, but ive had fantastic luck with them. They're heavily worn and scuffed, but not tearing apart or anything.

Ride Everything
    The SIDI Dominators from ~10 years ago had really good materials/construction (slippery soles notwithstanding). Around 5-6 years ago the quality seemed to drop off (at least in my experience).

There are a lot of shoe manus that offer quality shoes at good prices. I've had good luck with shoes from 5.10, Louis Garneau, Mavic, and Pearl Izumi. Unfortunately, I don't keep track of miles ridden per-pair.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Hi There!
    I have a pair of Shimano's that are over 10 years old, the sole looks like hell, but I still wear them a lot even though I have a newer pair.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    The SIDI Dominators from ~10 years ago had really good materials/construction (slippery soles notwithstanding). Around 5-6 years ago the quality seemed to drop off (at least in my experience).

There are a lot of shoe manus that offer quality shoes at good prices. I've had good luck with shoes from 5.10, Louis Garneau, Mavic, and Pearl Izumi. Unfortunately, I don't keep track of miles ridden per-pair.
    Same here Sidi dominators this pair is 4 years old. The pair before these lasted 7 years. I always replace the insole with something from superfeet or sole orthotics but that's cause I have flat feet

mtbr member
    I use Species skate shoes on flats with pins. This will be their 3rd and last summer, the soles are getting very thin at some spots. I might even have to replace them sooner than expected.
    High on dopamine

Magically Delicious
    On my Shimano M 163's I got about 12,000 miles and 4 years before they were just worn out.

I'm now on Shimano's SH-XC61 and I'm hoping to repeat the duration. They currently have about 3,000 miles on them. I have been very pleased with these Shimano's.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just retired my last pair of Sidi Dominators 2 months ago after 18 years of service. They had about 14 years of riding on the actual bike, and then 4 years of just being used in spin class, because they didn't have any lugs remaining on the soles. The uppers were just fine, they needed an occasional tightening of the buckle screws, and the velcro on the straps had to be re-glued a few times to the straps, but that was it. My Shimanos are about 6 years old and are in good shape as far as the treads and uppers go, but the buckle and straps aren't nearly as good as my old Sidi's. Both have certainly surpassed their investments, and the next pair will probably be Sidi's.
    ...on the run from Johnny Law, ain't no trip to Cleveland.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeskoFipps View Post
    I just retired my last pair of Sidi Dominators 2 months ago after 18 years of service. They had about 14 years of riding on the actual bike, and then 4 years of just being used in spin class, because they didn't have any lugs remaining on the soles. The uppers were just fine, they needed an occasional tightening of the buckle screws, and the velcro on the straps had to be re-glued a few times to the straps, but that was it. My Shimanos are about 6 years old and are in good shape as far as the treads and uppers go, but the buckle and straps aren't nearly as good as my old Sidi's. Both have certainly surpassed their investments, and the next pair will probably be Sidi's.
    sidi seem to be really slipping in quality....my new pair is a lot cheaper than my pair from 2008. Same shoe. Maybe it is just me

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    sidi seem to be really slipping in quality....my new pair is a lot cheaper than my pair from 2008. Same shoe. Maybe it is just me
    It's not just you. Even as recent as 6-7 years ago you could see changes in materials, etc. Hard to sell $250 shoes when (A) they last 10+ years, and (B) online retailers' prices keep them out of brick-and-mortar shops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't know about miles, but I go through shoes pretty quick but my last pair of Shimano AM45s lasted me 4 years. My new pair of AM9s will hopefully last me as long.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Iv got a pair of Sidi Dominator (3 I think) that are 15 years old and Sidi Dragons that are 6 years old. I don't where either much any more but the Doms are so comfortable that I used them on my road bike more than my road shoes. No joke, maybe 20,000 miles plus on those Doms. Probably more, it just seems absurd.

I use mostly 5-10s now and the soles only last about 1000 miles before they have holes from the pedal spikes. Probably less really, maybe a year. Also, I need to keep several pair in rotation because they don't dry out as well as sidis. But damn if I ain't enduro.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Iv got a pair of Sidi Dominator (3 I think) that are 15 years old and Sidi Dragons that are 6 years old. I don't where either much any more but the Doms are so comfortable that I used them on my road bike more than my road shoes. No joke, maybe 20,000 miles plus on those Doms. Probably more, it just seems absurd.

I use mostly 5-10s now and the soles only last about 1000 miles before they have holes from the pedal spikes. Probably less really, maybe a year. Also, I need to keep several pair in rotation because they don't dry out as well as sidis. But damn if I ain't enduro.
    I think I pegged the Enduro-MeterTM with these:
    How many miles are you getting out of your mtb shoes?-2169787_2.bio3iivmrj.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I think I pegged the Enduro-MeterTM with these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2169787_2.bio3iivmrj.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1065241
    Those are sweet but good luck finding a matchymachi fanny pack

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've never gotten over a year on any pair of shoes:
    Rime
    Terraduro
    Teva Pivot
    2FO

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Those are sweet but good luck finding a matchymachi fanny pack
    #EnduroProblems

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I have six full seasons on my Mavic Razors, which is a "budget" version of the exceptional Mavic Fury race MTB shoe. The Salomon Contagrip sole of the Mavic has superior grip over anything my SIDI Dominator 3/4/5 ever got.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

psycho cyclo addict
    Thousands of miles...

Shimano MO-86's are a bit heavy but quite durable and excellent for hike-bike.

Sidi Dominator's survive 4-5 years for me util they get inflexible/uncomfortable and make my feet hurt.

Lake I/O SDL's (discontinued a while back; I stockpiled extra pairs): I get 3-4 years out of before they wear out or the stink makes dogs run for COVER
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Fat-tired Roadie
    Almost exactly two years from my current pair of Dominators. Probably about 400 hours, probably about 3000 miles. A little hard to say because I do ride some road too, and use different shoes.

My last ones lasted longer in years, but maybe about the same hours.

I'm going to get another pair of Dominators or maybe Dragons this winter, but with the lorica insert, not the mesh. Seems like it's that seam I kill first.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

I wear the non clipped ones to work, I walk alot, a full year now and still plenty of traction If I choose to put my flat pedals on the bike.
    Specialized 2F0, I have both clipped and flat versions,
    I wash em out with the hose, they never stink at all, dry over night...
    Comfortable enough to wear all day,,and I do.

How many miles are you getting out of your mtb shoes?-p8120058.jpgHow many miles are you getting out of your mtb shoes?-specialized-2fo-shoes-slip-not2-1024x682.jpg
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Yeah, SIDI stopped using high-quality, antibacterial Dupont Lorica sometime after 2011....when their Licensing with Dupont expired. SIDI felt paying Dupont a royalty for every shoe sold, was eating at their profits. Moving forward, SIDI developed their proprietary Tecnomicro synthetic leather and microfiber blend(Vernice) was their answer to Lorica. Vernice breathes better and dries fast....but is nowhere nearly durable as the Dupont textile.

My full-Lorica, 2002 Dominator 3s are still going strong. I upgraded the weed-clogging, Micro Lock buckles to newer Caliper Buckles, breathing new life into a great shoe. My 2004 Dominator 4(full Lorica) I got NOS while in Italy, last year. I don't know if I'll use them, as I am currently loving the 2013 SIDI Drako...which has been an impressive shoe too.

My current Top 5 favorites:
    1) 2015 Bontrager Rhythm
    2) 2015 Giro Code VR70 Easton
    3) 2013 SIDI Drako SRS
    4) 2011 Specialized S-Works XC
    5) 2012 Bont Vaypor XC BOA
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    When your're a size 14 options are somewhat limited, my Dominators from somewhere around 2004 are still in surprisingly good shape but it's disappointing to hear the quality isn't what it once was.