How many helmets have you cracked or broken?- Mtbr.com
    Grip it and rip it.

How many helmets have you cracked or broken?

I was just wondering how many helmets other people here have gone through. The first helmet i broke was a giro E2, after a few addmitted bad bails. I then decided to try specialized, cant remember the type, it wasnt a top end one but a good one. Called an enduro maybe? But anyway that helmet cracked after a few crashes too.
    I`m on my second E2 and its held up fairly good the last couple of years, i still check for cracks regularly though.

So my total number of helmets broken is two but i`m sure there`s people out there that have done alot better, or broken alot more whatever way you want to look at it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just one so far. That crash also cracked my collarbone, so it did some damage. I'm hoping the next helmet I decide to purchase is out of choice - new technology, appearance, etc; not due to necessity.

Grip it and rip it.

its kind of funny..

ive broken helmets but havnt broken any bones yet. Yes if technology goes the right direction i`d love something between a fullface and an xc lid. But thats been talked about before ye i know.

slow
    One was a first generation Giro (1987). OTB and landed on my head. Didn't even notice the helmet was broken until I finished the ride as the stretchy nylon cover thing was holding it together on my head.
    Second helmet I broke last year. I set my pack and helmet down on the ground while loading my bike on the roof rack. When I stepped back after loading the bike, I stepped on the helmet. Doh!

The Weatherman
    Short Answer: 1 out of 3 owned

Long Answer:

I didn't start wearing a helmet until I joined the Air Force in 1997. Mandatory to wear one when on base. Prior to that I was a pure bicycle commuter for 7 years and never owned one.

First helmet I bought didn't break, it was stolen off of my bike in a bike parking area. Bike wasn't stolen, just the helmet.

Second helmet I bought was in 2001. Also didn't break or crack. After about 4 years of use the foam padding inside of it was wasted and everytime I sweat it poured directly into my eye. Ditched that helmet and bought my current helmet.

Current helmet has taken a few minor hits (mostly low branch smacks) but does not have any cracks. The plastic piece that attaches to the right side of the helmet (the one that connects to the strap around the ear) is now broken though. I have been ghetto rigging it to function properly, but have a feeling its days are numbered.

So my current helmet is the only one that has "broken".

NMBP

4 or 5

I've broke 4 or 5. I can usually hear the snap when I make impact. I currently have 2 new unused helmets on standby and 3 usable. Gotta protect the grey spongey matter.

May 2006
    I think the idea here is to stay on your bikes... I have yet to break any helmets as I try not to land on my head... I did however replace my helmet after getting driven through by a Chevy Equinox last year... That was an interesting experience... It happened so fast I didn't know what all got wacked... He paid for it, along with my new bike, shoes, and a partridge in a pear tree...

mtbr member
    1 old bell (separated AC joint too)
    1 motorcycle helmet ("come on, were not riding that far, you'll be fine without one") I put a rock throug the temple
    1 Giro last fall, went ass over tea kettle on a root drop.
    1 M1A1 tanker helmet. Driver slammed on breaks on edge of wash. we did a nosedive in bottom. I shot up and hit my head on a bolt stud on roof of turret

I want a 3/4 helmet with ear and temple protection with enough vents for a roadie

mtbr member

None

Never fell on my head.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Fortunately none.

Jul 2005

cracked two while on my head... one in the back seat of my car when I slid the seat back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    One for me in 15+ years, but my brother manages to break one every time he visits. He is three for three now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    4 out of 5 in about 14 years

1st helmet, it was a specialized something. I left the helmet between the sliding door and frame. Shut the door and cracked the helmet
    2nd helmet, Bell Evo, still have it, still good and I have taken a few falls on it.
    3rd helmet, Bell Ghisallo, fell over on my head while turning on a hill at very slow speed. I was in a trackstand, then turned and lost my balance. I couldn't believe the helmet cracked.
    4th helmet, Bell X-Ray, went OTB hard. Cracked Scapula and 2nd degree A-C Joint separation

Just bought a Giro Xen, I hope I don't break this one!

Loser

Three but...

I've broken three helmets, but all three were broken when they weren't on my head (car doors (x2) and car seat (x1). I've never crashed my head hard enough to break a helmet. From the other posts it seems as if I've been pretty lucky (or wimpy!).

John

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just one but it was during a spectacular endo into the swamp. I remember thinking as I was flipping through the air that it was a good thing I was landing in water.......come to find out that the water was about 4 inches deep. I left a chunk of the helmet on a tree by the area as an offering to the trail gods.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I've broke 4 or 5. I can usually hear the snap when I make impact. I currently have 2 new unused helmets on standby and 3 usable. Gotta protect the grey spongey matter.
    Don`t know weather to give you praise or say what the hell....... At the moment i`m thinking wtf?.... Sounds like a good effort to break that many.... Any knock outs/ conncussions? I`m pretty sure i got knocked out with one of the helmets i broke, cant remember which one. Total face plant coming off a jump in a xc race. My club mates had to walk me down to the carpark, didnt know where i was or what was going on.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Two...old Specialized Mountain Man and a Giro Switchblade.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Six or 8, at least. Not bad for 23 years of riding. This does not include the helmets I have crashed hard, show no cracks and replaced for safety reasons.

I also will retire a helmet after 4-5 years as the aged foam does not protect as well.

I would guess I have used 20-30 helmets in total, including the ones in current rotation.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    Don`t know weather to give you praise or say what the hell....... At the moment i`m thinking wtf?.... Sounds like a good effort to break that many.... Any knock outs/ conncussions? I`m pretty sure i got knocked out with one of the helmets i broke, cant remember which one. Total face plant coming off a jump in a xc race. My club mates had to walk me down to the carpark, didnt know where i was or what was going on.
    I have a 36" inseam, so a high center of gravity, on my previous bike I tended to do lots of front endo's, and I tend to hang on while I fall. I usually hit the side of my head, then my right shoulder. I'm usually still clipped in. Now I have larger wheels and a bike that fits better, and no endo's so far. I also will replace a helmet that has crashed, especially if I think I hear it snap.

Brass Nipples!

Once was enough...

I was doing sprint intervals (10 seconds, all out standing) and snapped a chain on a bike path. I made a big, S-shaped skid with the front wheel, flipped and hit the pavement with the back of my head hitting the ground first at well over 20 mph. I had no loss of consciousness or any other concussion symptoms. I'm convinced I might still be "eating" through a tube or worse if I hadn't been wearing my helmet.

Helmet makers recommend replacing a helmet after a good whack, by the way. As Shiggy said, often they loose their integrity in a way that you can't see or feel.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    My nickname would lead you to think it was a likelihood for me, and yes I've broken three, all during endo maneuvers. And boy did they ring my bell, swirling white dots in my vision, or a headache I couldn't shake for three days. I still have occasional neck pains caused by these crashes. I consider myself lucky that I wear them religiously though, I could be a vegetable now otherwise. Not too bad for as many years as I've been riding. I sure don't want to keep up this trend, look at some of the older career boxers out there.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Misfit Psycles
    hmmm i may have aproblem...
    i run two helmets every year, dont log massive miles and toss one a year for various smushes and minor cracks. the second usually gets tossed thanks to odor.

ya one a year due to damage, i'm going to take a 'how to ride course' some day.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Not Smart Enough to Quit

3 in the last 2 years. One on a tree (caught a bar on one tree, launched me into another), 1 on the ground during a race (too much speed, air & angle upon landing) and 1 on the hood of a Nissan (broken wrist, seperated AC joint).
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

Photog Cyclist.
    3 lids broken in 16 years of cycling, all Giros. Hey that's what their there for.

Jan 2004
    2 helmets in the last 6 or 7 years. Both of them Specialized, one King Cobra and an S1. Both of them while on my head. The first one going downhill, landed so hard on my head there was dirt packed though every vent hole on the side of the impact. Helmet was shattered all around that side. Even had some loss of memory. I just got up from the ground not knowing how I got there. I didn't even notice i had crashed until I realized there was dirt all over the helmet. Second time I skided off some really fast singletrack, bike shot off to one side, I went the other. Fell flat on my right side and my head wipped so hard against the ground I felt it bouncing against the ground.

Born to push....

2 so far

2 so far

a Giro and a GT helmet

but broke no bone as of yet

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've had 6 helmets over the last 20 years, and am still using #s 4 and 6.

As far as actually cracking a helmet, only 1. I was blasting along on a more or less level singletrack and caught either a pedal or my bottom bracket on a tree root. The bike just stopped, launching me head first over the bars to land face first in the dirt. That cracked the shell of my helmet and ripped the visor off. I had a lot of scrapes and a mouth full of dirt, but didn't brake any bones or teeth. I had a mild concussion and walked back to my truck

Helmet 1 was a Skid Lid. Anyone remember those? I wore it for about 5 years, then replaced it after running out of road on a corner and getting launched off into the grass from my road bike. The helmet looked fine, but I could feel it bending around my head as it hit.

Helmet 2 was a hardshell Bell that was hot and never fit right. It was tolerable on the road, but offroad would bounce up and down and push my sunglasses down my nose. I gave it away.

Helmet 3 was a Gyro Supermoto. Big step up from the old school Bell. It was cool, light, and didn't bounce. I retired it after falling face first onto a sidewalk when my foot slipped as I put it down.

Helmet 4 is a Gyro Boreas, which I've had about 5 years and used lightly.

Helmet 5 was a Gyro Havoc and is the one I cracked. Helmet 6 is a Gyro Xen. Best fitting helmet I've ever had, but not as well ventiladed as the Boreas or Havoc...

I like to ride my bike.

My Neighbors Broke It

My evil, rich b*tch neighbors who are 10-12 year old girls basically played soccor with my Trek Interval, kicked it, stood on it...you get the idea. It did not actually break but after that and 3 hard crashes, it was time for a new lid. Now I am on my second Trek Interval, and since I've gotten into light freeride so I also have a 661 Fullface.

The funny thing was, the mother of the kids who abused it was like, well, if you paid $70 for it, should'nt it hold up against a 85lbs kid? Maybe they felt bad, or maybe their idiots, but they gave me about $81 bucks...when I asked for $70. I always hated them and always will. They have 15x more trash than us, cut down 8 trees, drive 5 mpg SUVs etc... Okay, sorry I went on a rant, but I get cought up in revenge stuff.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Rollin' a fatty
    2, a Specialized S1 and a Trek cheapo.

The Specialized broke on a jump that went bad. On landing the front tire slipped throwing me face first to the ground, the front of the helmet was desimated. Nothing broke but had cuts on my arms, legs, chin and left cheek plus a huge black and blue on my left leg, that was my last attempt on jumping.

The Trek cheapo broke internally after trying to go underneath a fallen tree and I didn't cleared it. Hit the tree with the top of my head and at home discovered the broken foam pieces, had a nice headache afterwards.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 07-01-2006 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member

One,and hopefully the only one.

It was a brand new Giro Xen in cammo. Only had it for a few rides, when I crashed head first into a rock garden. Held up amazingly well considering the impact. Cracked all the styro-foam inside but the outer shell held it in place. Nice little trip to the ER. Concussion, fluid shift in C-1 vertebrae, 13 stitches in forehead, two black-eyes, right shoulder sprain, and quite a few multi-colored bruises thrown in for good measure. Put me off the bike for a solid 3 months. Had to wear the stupid foam neck brace. Not a good look, trust me. Good thing was Giro replaced the helmet with an identical one.

Category Winner
    Somwhere between 5 and 10. Scratch that, I started counting.
    The first one was one of the old Look helmets with the shower cap/net cover. I had drawn Eddie the Corpse on the styrofoam with a Sharpie. I broke it doing a jump "just one more time" in 1992. Broken collar bone.
    From there:
    Cheap Specialized helmet
    Closeout Giro
    Specialized Cobra (broke)
    Another Cobra (broke)
    E2 (sold it)
    Switchblade (sold it, buyer broke it)
    Boreas (broke)
    Pneumo (3 of them, broke them all)(one broke when a security portal closed on it at work while I was holding it)
    Giro Semi (skater looking helmet I bought for $5 for cold days at my messenger job)
    Atmos (broke)
    New Atmos (I am wearing now, no not as I type)
    Messengering and MTB'ing have a way of taking helmets out of my life.

Dang I forgot my Bell Ghisallo that I only had for a couple of months before this happened (sorry for the digi image of a photo) I woke up in the street in a pool of blood that morning. My newish Ghisallo was in pieces and covered in blood. Needless to say I took the day off work. I am sure that the helmet saved me from a much worse fate. I ended up with two broke teeth (got two root canals and caps), a black eye, a second chin, and I had to eat soup for a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by teamdicky; 07-02-2006 at 04:42 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

bike weenie
    2 for me... one this week.

#1 (3 years ago) - really stupid, didn't commit on a short but steep climb, right at the edge on the top flipped over backwards and smacked the back of my head, bike landed on me and tore a nice hole in my calf with chainring. Mild concussion even with helmet on.

#2 (on wednesday) - following another guy too close rounding a corner, didn't see the new, large tree branch blown down over the trail at head level... first guy is short, rode right under, I smacked it. Another mild concussion, sore neck, sore tongue from the holes I bit into it.

Currently in Exile
    I broke one yesterday (along with my collarbone). I am sure that it saved me from much worse.

Before that I had broken three.

1. Endo over broken bridge
    2. Pulled out of parking lot with it on top of car
    3. Head on into low hanging tree

Don't ride withuot one!

Also, like Shiggy said, you really should replace your helmet after any significant impact. Just because you don't see visible cracks, doesn't mean that all is well. The foam compresses on impact and does not rebound. The next time, the helmet will not offer as much protection.

And lastly, they are designed to break/deform on impact. That is how they absorb the force and protect your noggin. Don't call it "cheap" or "junk" because it breaks when you land on it.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Reviewer/Tester
    I have broken one only. Mainly because until recently I never wore one offroad.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Broke only one after crashing into a field of rocks and raspberry bushes. It was cracked in many places and had several new holes in it. Glad it was the helmet and not my noggin.

BTW thousands upon thousands of raspberry thorns embedded in your skin is not recommended.

Hairy man

One bad crash. Not sure what happened, but I ended up with bruises on my ribs and thigh, plus a ringing head and a helmet in two large pieces.

The second one I broke in a totally XXXtreme fashion. OK, I backed over it in the Tiger Mountain parking lot.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    three. and they all saved my life.

mtbr member

Sadly I can now join this thread :(

After yesterdays ride I can now join this thread and say I've cracked 1 helmet Didn't see a very thick, cut off branch on the side of the trail and "grounded off" on it. Thought I heard the helmet crack and the feeling on my head and in my neck told me it was a hard impact, but upon inspection couldn't find anything so finished the ride. Now I'm reading this thread and decide to check it again with a bright torch and find it did in fact crack. So now I guess my next bike order will include a new lid - only had this last one (Bell X-Ray) since August. My nephews cracked my previous one for me, but none of the 3 would admit to doing it, just left it hanging on the HB's of my bike for me to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    I sure don't want to keep up this trend, look at some of the older career boxers out there.

Rando
    No joke, just cracked another helmet this weeked. Three for me now. It was another E2. To be fair i was doing DH with it, riding fast around the last berm peddling towards a big double, something went wrong on landing. Resulted in 6 hours at A+E and two bandaged up legs. Ah well its all part of the fun.
    Ye makes you think. I wonder if anyone could do research into how many hard hits you need to suffer on a mtb in order to get minor brain damage or worse in later life?

Apr 2006
    broke a giro ventoux and now a giro pneumo (that is over about 10 years)

touch wood i do not break my new atmos for a long time

mtbr member
    3 helmets - 2 were stupid, slow-speed, sudden falls onto rocks because my balance sucked, 1 was on a fast, steep, rocky, descent when my legs were drained and my skills were lacking. Luckily I only suffered a slight concussion on that one.

I love this sport. I hope to get better at it.

Ant

i worship Mr T

1st - 1998, endo'ed, broke my wrist, pelvis, and helmet....but not my head.
    2nd - 2000, slid the back end of the bike off the side of the trail, fell sideways and backwards, dinged the helmet and gave myself a pretty good headache.
    3rd - 2001, swan dived off a log stunt in Whistler, BC, fractured C-6 and desroyed my helmet
    4th - 2005, hit the ground at 23 mph on a section of double track in an XC race, bruised my nose and collarbone, cracked my helmet.

rt - hoping not to destroy another helmet for a long, long time
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Use this space for what?
    Cracked a new-ish bell in '00 when I hit the road.
    Dad backed over my BMX helmet a couple years later.
    Have also retired 1 MX helmet.

Jun 2006

Helmet kicked apart by punks

My styrofoam helmet was kicked to pieces by two thugs in Maui.
    It was on my head. I was riding on West Kuiaha Road in Hawaii in 1996
    when two punks fired small rockets at me.
    I stopped and said, "Hey, stop that!"
    They chased me and knocked me from the bike.
    We fought and they won. The next thing I remember was being on the street in a fetal
    position being kicked by two Maui punks. My helmet broke into pieces as they continued to
    kick my head, face, back, etc. The parts of my helmet that were still strapped to my head
    provided significant protection. I immediately felt glad that my helmet was there.
    But my face was not covered by the helmet. I had the worst black eye on the island.
    Some resulting bad stuff is not revealed here.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Two so far this year. First, on a night ride in February, I was helping light the way for a fellow rider whose battery went dead. I kept my helmet mounted light shining on the path in front of her...and failed to watch my own line. I went down on my left side at about 15 - 17 mph, putting a nice 2 inch long crack through the side of my then 3 year old Pneumo. I replaced the Pneumo with an E2...which I proceeded to crack last month in a too-slow-speed endo off a 3 foot rock drop when I landed on my noggin. Prior to this year, I'd never broken a helmet, and I'm now on two broken helmets in less than 6 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    At least 1/2 a dozen over the last 18 years... but I like to **** around. Wish I had been wearing one yesterday when I was screwing around in the front yard and went over backwards on a wheelie drop...ouch, my ass.

thecentralscrutinizer

One was due to an accident with a car. I lost that battle.
    The other was I forgot my helmet was sitting on the stairs and stepped on it.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

Apr 2006
    1 - Last Sunday riding Auburn. I'm glad I had that thing on because honestly I'd be pretty messed up if I didn't. Just sux to have to buy a new one...

Members who have read this thread: 0