How long do your shoes last?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

How long do your shoes last?

Recently over the past few months ive been experiencing some foot discomfort that has been getting progressively worse. The pain is along the ball of the foot and starts on the outside and moves in towards the arch and feels like a fatigue cramp, I can usually walk or back spin it off. This mainly happens on the right foot but on longer rides its been happening on the left. The only other time I can remember this happening was when I first went clipless and an issued pair of shoes for my job that wore out in a few months. That got me wondering how long do MTB shoes usually last.

Just looking for some opinions before I dish out the coin on some new shoes.
    <O</O
    Last edited by acaridans; 04-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member

Maybe

I'd try some REI footbeds or some other kind of arch support before new shoes. You might want to experiment with loosening the laces *slightly* also. I have to make a concious effort to avoid jamming my feet forward into the shoe.

Assuming:

The shoes fit well otherwise.
    They show no obvious wear and tear.

Good luck.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hard to say, way to many variables for this one....

how much you ride, how you ride, the quality of the shoe, the designed use of the shoe...yada yada!

I've gotten as much as 5 years out of a pair of shoes. Anyway, check out the shoes, how long have you had them? Are they getting beaten up? Do the soles flex allot? Have you tried adjusting cleat placement slightly? Do they have a full foot platform, or only a partial? Are they easy to walk in or are they still good and stiff? What type of shoe are they?, full on clipless (racer boy type shoe), dual purpose shoe (work for flats and clipless kinda look like a skate board shoe)? Dual purpose shoes, unless very well made, will often wear out sooner for clipless use as they often don't have a full foot platform in the sole. Makes em easier to walk in.

All other factors aside, sounds like the shoe, cleat, whatever, is creating a pressure point on the sole of your foot. If you've been riding the shoes for a long time, 2 years or more, and this problem just gradualy showed up, then they probably need to be replaced.

Like I said, depends on a lot of different factors. But going from what info you've given I'd say probably new shoes are in order.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Feb 2004

6 years and running

I have a pair of Cannondale mtb shoes that I have ridden with for about 6 years (over 6K miles) and they don't show any signs of needing to be replaced. I suppose the only reason that shoes being worn out would contribute to foot pain is if the foot platform has become too soft & pliable and you're not getting the support you need. I check mine for this every year and, so far, they're still rock solid.

Have you tried adjusting your cleats? Sometimes, solving foot pain is as simple as a slight tweak in cleat position. Other than the possibility that the cleat got knocked out of alignment or came loose, another possible cause is a change of body geometry over time (we all age). Lastly, are you sure the pain is coming from riding? Anything else you do that might be contributing to the problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i have a pair of shimano m37's i think that are going on like 4 years. still work great. want to get some new shoes just to have a different pair to wear every once and a while though.

banned
    Apr 2004

My Sidi Dominators

Quote Originally Posted by acaridans
    Recently over the past few months ive been experiencing some foot discomfort that has been getting progressively worse. The pain is along the ball of the foot and starts on the outside and moves in towards the arch and feels like a fatigue cramp, I can usually walk or back spin it off. This mainly happens on the right foot but on longer rides its been happening on the left. The only other time I can remember this happening was when I first went clipless and an issued pair of shoes for my job that wore out in a few months. That got me wondering how long do MTB shoes usually last.

Just looking for some opinions before I dish out the coin on some new shoes.
    <O</O
    lasted 4 years and are still good to go as a back up shoe to my Shimano 220's? that are a couple of years old and though well worn I'd guess will last at least a couple more.

IMO & experience, the high dig $150 to $200 dollar range, stiff soled race shoes are a bargain in the long run.

If I had to buy shoes today I'd probably go for some 4 velcoro strap Carnacs.

Nov 2004
    I've gone thru two pairs of Specialized (predecesor to these - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=14502) in span of four years. Poor construction in my opinion, but then again, I didn't pay huge money for them. Biggest fault? the stitching came apart and the rubber cleats wore off making them very dangerous to walk on slippery surfacest. I usually end up riding mountain trails that required more hiking than biking on the way up, which didn't help the wear factor.

Given my hike-a-bike style of rides, I went to a more hiker friendly design (http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...1146189802666). Just starting season two on them and so far so good. I really like the comfort and flexibility for how I use them.

I have to agree with other posts though. Doesnt sound like your problem is as much to do with the shoe as it is with the ergonomics of your foot to the pedal. In neither shoe have I ever had any foot pain.

My suggestion? Spend some time at your LBS. They should be able to help pin point the problem.

Mar 2004
    Thanks for the posts. The shoes are Shimano M038's going on there 3rd season, still in good condition not super stiff anymore but good arch support
    I dont think that im doing anything to cause the pain myself I do ride a bit of everything but i have noticed the pain is only when im in the saddle after a long climb or when im clippping along at a fast pace so a pressure point issue fits the bill.

I'll have to play with the cleats this weekend I havent adjusted them since i first dialed them in. I do check them to make sure they havent shifted. Before my pre work ride today I did relace them and I tried a thinner sock I read that might help, the only thing I noticed was that it felt that my foot was leaning away from the bike but no knee discomfort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i'm still using a pair i bought probably two years ago...put probably 4000 miles on them...i just ordered a new pair since the seams are starting to bust out on the sides near the little toes...these were low end shimanos
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Just Joshin' ya!
    Sidi Dominators. You will not be disappointed!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    if the soles on your shoes are soft and you use clipless pedals could be the problem, try platform/clipless pedals or harder soled shoes. Specialized body geometry shoes have a wedged innersole that turns your foot a little which might also help

Members who have read this thread: 0