How long do you generally expect your clipless shoes to last?- Mtbr.com
    Transition Blindside v5

New question here. How long do you generally expect your clipless shoes to last?

How long do you generally expect your clipless shoes to last?

I have a pair of those Performance-exclusive Pearl Izumi Vagabond mountain shoes I purchased thru Performance 2 summers ago. And I just noticed recently that my left-shoe's sole (nylon I-Beam) is cracked in the red area depicted in the below picture (for visual reference, not of my actual shoe), while all else is still fine with these shoes.

Reasonably speaking, is this something that's considered as normal "wear-and-tear" (toss & buy new), or as a random mishaps that should be warranty-replaced? I can probably Super-Glue it (?) to keep it going, but I also know not to tamper with it before dealing with warranty further.

Pearl Izumi told me to go to Performance, and Peformance told me to go to Pearl Izumi... It's no fun being put in-between the retailer & the manufacturer.

It might be that the "time is up." If so, that's fine. But it's just that I was a bit surprised that the sole cracked after two-summer seasons of riding. And I think my old 'entry-level' Specialized shoes lasted much longer (and those were retired because the threads of a cleat-bolt receptor got stripped, while the sole never cracked).

Anyway, I'm not trying to be cheap here, per se, but just wondering what's reasonable for those types of shoes.

Thanks for your feedback in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 10-07-2004 at 05:04 PM. Reason: addtional comments

rohloff rich
    If the sole breaks, there's probably something not right. I had a pair of Nikes that I broke a sole on, but they were about 4 years old. My current Specialized shoes are going on 4 or 5 years and the velcro is starting to give out. Seems like 4 years is about what you should expect. I'd try to get some replacements.

nobody

Seems strange

That the sole would crack like that so quickly especially considering how new the bottom of the shoe looks. I used some answer accelerators for 7 years and though all the tread was gone and they looked like road shoes at the end, the sole never cracked. I used some shimano 152's for 2 seasons and again had no problems.

It sounds like you might get the run around when trying to warranty them but I'd at least put some effort into it and at the least see if there was a way you could purchase a discounted pair.

Complete Bastard
    You can replace those cleat bolts, you know.

The soles on my specialized pro mtb shoes are coming unglued at the heel. I'm not sure if it's something that is going to be terminal or just a little pulling up, but for that price that ought not to happen.

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! Shoe Goo

Quote Originally Posted by mward
    You can replace those cleat bolts, you know.
    Nah, I didn't mean the threads of the cleat "bolts", but I rather meant the threads of a "receptor" (for lack of better words) that's inbedded within the shoe-sole that accepts cleat bolts. Are those receptor pieces also replacable (for my future reference)?

<P>&nbsp;<P>

Quote Originally Posted by mward
    The soles on my specialized pro mtb shoes are coming unglued at the heel. I'm not sure if it's something that is going to be terminal or just a little pulling up, but for that price that ought not to happen.
    Perhaps Shoe Goo (in a tube, from any local hardware store) might work for your prob? (I've fixed my Teva's with it before.) Since my prob is with the sole, I think I'd need either regular SuperGlue, or even J-B Weld...

&nbsp;

Complete Bastard
    Yeah I figured you meant the receptacles, and yes they're replaceable. Most new sets of cleats come with the insert. Just take your insole out and there is usually a square in the sole that can be removed to access the receptacle. I don't know about jb or shoe goo, it's a small gap at this point. I think the pressure put on the shoe while riding would kill shoe goo, and probably jb too, since it dries so hard. If I get 2-3 years out of them I won't fuss too much about buying a new pair. I abuse mine pretty bad.

mtbr member
    If you're ridden enough to wear out or break a pair of shoes (other than defect) within a couple of years, you owe it to yourself to buy another pair.

Unshaven Yak
    Did something like that to a set of Specialized Comp shoes a few years back, after about two years, mine cracked accross the cleat bolt area though (weakest spot).

I tend to wear out everything else on Shimano, Nike & Answer shoes (about 8 pairs) without having a similar problem. I'm currently tearing up the uppers on a set of Shimano 180's. They don't seem to be holding up as well as some others I've tried, but I average a new set of shoes every year.

That sure looks like a defect & I suspect my shop would replace them if I did that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Toss em.

If you actually used them for two years, it is time for some new shoes. I generally get new shoes every year because the uppers start to tear up from the occasional frame rub. Plus, I got this thing about wearing athletic shoes (sweaty, funky) for to long after they get unsanitary. I always wondered why people who insist on the latest and greatest equipment expect to get years out of their shoes.
    Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage! Slide, slide,slippitty slide!

WWW.SWEETDREAMBED.COM

mtbr member
    I've had my Scott(cant remember the brand) shoes for about 7 years now and their fine. Although recently I did have one of the screws break that hold the stud to the shoe.