How to keep feet dry for cheap...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How to keep feet dry for cheap...

Ok,
    Since I ride in Arizona rain is not a big deal for the most part. Same for really cold temps. However 24hrs of Old Pueblo is coming up and given the weather we are having rain is possible. I did a ride last weekend and got caught in rain storm. Rain jacket did fine, but my feet got really wet. In large part due to puddles on trail and really heavy rain. Sure it only lasted 15 min, but wet is wet. No issues finishing the ride, but got me thinking about quick painless and cheap rain solutions for 24HOP should we get rain then.

Best option is different shoes, but I really have a hard time buying new shoes to use "just incase" and then never need them. The alternative are shoe boots, but how will those do in the rain and durability wise? I guess the really cheap is a plastic bag over my feet with strategic cut outs for the SPD cleats and some tape. Crude, but very cheap and possibly effective.

Any other advice?
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ambassador of Chub
    Just wear the plastic bags over a thin liner sock, inside your shoe. No need to cover the whole shoe, it's just your feet that you are trying to keep dry.

Or, look at something like this:

Bontrager Stormshell Over Sock | Trek Bikes
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I used to do what Smithhammer suggests, but found that my feet would sweat, become wet and then cold. In Arizona you may not have the issue of cold so much, but wet feet are not very comfortable. It is still a solid and cheap recommendation. The Stormshell looks like a nice product too. I would get waterproof (possibly gore-tex lined) spd shoes, but again the foot sweat would probably get me. A gore tex cover like the Sealskiz or Peral Izumi would perhaps fit the bill better. Another advantage to the cover would be that you could put it on trail side as needed. I also like gaiters for the calves for all the spray from the wheels. Absolutely necessary for the fat bike for me.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Just wear the plastic bags over a thin liner sock, inside your shoe. No need to cover the whole shoe, it's just your feet that you are trying to keep dry.

Or, look at something like this:

Bontrager Stormshell Over Sock | Trek Bikes
    The price on those is absurd for what they are; you can buy the same [functioning] product much cheaper from NRS, sold as a wetsock. They're even available in different weights, to keep from overheating. Waterproof socks are a boondoggle, just the same as jackets and pants--where it would be impractical to use neoprene for worries of overheating there, for socks, it's a perfect material when they are expected to get (and stay) wet. Problem is, you can't just strip the "waterproof" socks off when you're through the water, since your shoes are still soaked--enter the neoprene, which stays comfortable, if not warm.

Roll them up and tie them to your saddle with a toe strap/throw them in your saddlebag, in the event you do get soaked feet.

Moderator Moderator
    The cheapest is veggie bags from the grocery store over your socks, after that is neoprene socks, you can usually buy those cheap since they sell them for hunters etc. I use neoprene toe covers on my road bike, but they and booties get hammered on mtbs usually if you have to hike at all.

mtbr member
    You don't need to keep your feet dry. You need to keep what's insulating your feet dry. Air trapped by the fibers in your socks is what's keeping your feet warm.
    Do the math.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The price on those is absurd for what they are; you can buy the same [functioning] product much cheaper from NRS, sold as a wetsock.
    Which is why I first suggested simply using plastic bags. Just throwing out a few different options. If you think they're "absurd" then don't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Problem is, you can't just strip the "waterproof" socks off when you're through the water, since your shoes are still soaked--enter the neoprene, which stays comfortable, if not warm.
    Which is why I just leave them on. I ride with them in cold, wet weather all the time. My feet sweat a lot more in neoprene socks than they do in these. YMMV.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I am thiniking that I will bring plastic bags. I don't really have time to put stuff on mid lap. The laps are hour and 1:05 to 1:15. I can't afford to lose 30 seconds putting stuff on my feet. I am thinking the best is plastic bags. If is not raining don't both. If it is raining use them before I go out. If it rains on course just deal with the wet feet and put them on next lap. I figure I will be doing 5 laps over the 24hrs and most discomfort will be putting on wet shoes rather than having wet shoes on. I have plenty of socks to have dry socks to start each lap.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.