How important is name brand for baggies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

How important is name brand for baggies?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything, so here we go.

I am asking specifically about baggies, not lycra. Other than price, trail cred, and maybe some extra padding; is there any real difference between some Troy lee Designs or Fox shorts/jersey and some $20 Nike/Old Navy activewear?

I ride alone on low traffic trails so I'm not super worried about impressing other riders. Is there anything that I'm missing by buying 3 outfits for the price of 1 mtb specific brand? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with buying name brand stuff! It is just hard to fit it into my budget at this time.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Honestly for baggies, Id say no

Id say it makes a difference for Liners, spend the $ on name brand ones- Pearl Izumi, Castelli..etc..

mtbr member
    As long as the shorts fit, and have the features you want, who cares? Cycling ones usually have a seamless crotch, not to be confused with crotchless.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I could not care less what others on the trail think about what I'm wearing and dress to suit myself. I wear lycra shorts with a chamois padding as a base layer (for wicking, padding, and to keep stuff in place) and regular run of the mill cargo shorts over that. These are the same cargo shorts that I wear any other day going about my business off the bike, not bike-specific cargo shorts.

Likewise, I don't wear a "cycling jersey"; I wear coolmax (or some similar wicking material) t-shirts.

Frankly I'll go out of my way to find a shirt or hat that does NOT have someone's name or logo emblazoned on it. If they're not giving me the article of clothing or paying me to advertise for them, why should I advertise them for free?

beater
    I don't care about the brand name, but I do care about fabric, fit, cut, and features: zippered pockets, pocket locations, etc.

mtbr member
    Not important at all, but some are really nice, and well thought out... others are just expensive and poorly made.

As long as your shorts don't get hung up on your seat, or rub you wrong.... ride on. I have a pair of nylon cargo shorts for like $15-20, that work just fine on the bike.... are they perfect? no, but they'll do just fine for a 2 hour ride. I spend my money on nice liner bibs, where it really counts for me.

I have a couple of Fox shorts that were totally not worth the money. Totally crappy liners. Busted zippers and stitching on one, and the pockets turn inside out and flap around while I ride on the others for some crazy reason.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I'd have to agree with most, some style is always nice but its really about function.

I ride regularly with a friend like this. White socks, no name wicking base, no name shorts. All the correct material for the most part, just very basic single color stuff.

This guy is super fast too!, its like Sleeper Wear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I wear cycling specific gear, but don't care about the brand.
    I typically wear a pair of cheap enduras over quality bibs.
    The enduras have pockets where I want them. This is the main reason I stick with them. That and at 2 years old, they are still holding up nicely.
    I have had a few other shorts that I just didn't like as much. Fox didn't have the pockets I want and the cheap Performance shorts are... cheap.

I have worn regular shorts, and with the forward lean, I didn't like how the waistline pulls down. I have worn athletic shorts and the short would catch on the saddle.

Honestly - just find what fits best. I typically catch things on the super extra clearance sales to try them out. Once I know they fit as I like, I am willing to pay more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    To me the only good thing about name brand shorts is if you have a pair of pearl izumi in size xt (say), you can then feel relatively comfortable about buying another pair of PI online because you feel like you know what size will fit you.

Personally, I like PI and Sugoi, because I am fat and their stuff fits fat guys too.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    To me the only good thing about name brand shorts is if you have a pair of pearl izumi in size xt (say), you can then feel relatively comfortable about buying another pair of PI online because you feel like you know what size will fit you.
    That's a fair point, but sadly not always the case. I've bought a certain brand of shoes before that fit like they were made for me. Went to buy another pair and they fit horribly. Same brand, same model, same size. Turned out that one pair was made in Mexico and the other in Vietnam.

Always in the wrong gear
    I wear baggies less and less these days, but when I do I wear a good chamois (usually bibs, but thats just me) under whatever shorts I feel like wearing that day.
    I have 3 pair of Gerry, or ZeroXposure outdoor shorts. They're light nylon corder-like material with a little stretch, a zipper-flywith snap waist and cargo pockets. I got them at Costco or Sam's Club for like $12 each.
    On the days I feel like being a little more quirky or casual I have a few pairs of cheap-o board shorts that I cut the swim liner out of. They're light, roomy (but don't have a baggy crotch) and often have cargo pockets and some waist adjustability.
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks everyone for you're input! definitely what I wanted to hear. I figured as long as I'm comfortable it is fine but I'm just starting my second full season and I'm still learning what is important and what is not.

thanks again!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    I like sombrio shorts and Gravity Anamoly shorts. Try Backcountry or any of the big online guys. I buy stuff that is 1-2 years out of date and you can find stuff for 70% off, I try not to pay more than 50$ Just gotta find a brand that fits you well and is comfy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Form-fitting basketball shorts and chamois for me haha. Super comfy and cool. I don't keep anything in my pockets when I ride. I also just wear a generic wicking athletic t-shirt that is nice and cool and comfy. Never had any issues with wardrobe even on 10-hour days last summer (my first summer mountain biking).

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I don't care about the brand name, but I do care about fabric, fit, cut, and features: zippered pockets, pocket locations, etc.
    I have several brands of shorts. Some very expensive, some not. Some very old, some very new. The stuff that gets worn fits, regardless of any other factor. IME, the cheaper stuff doesn't tend to fit as well. So most of my recent purchases have been more expensive.

The stuff I have that I like best comes from these brands: Pearl Izumi, Fox, NZO, Club Ride, and Kitsbow. The stuff I don't like as much comes from Zoic and Novara. The Club Ride and Novara shorts are interesting cases. Both were baggies that came with detachable chamois liners. The Kitsbow and NZO shorts fit the best. They're also the most expensive ones I have. The Fox shorts are pretty comfy and probably are similar to the 15yr old Pearl Izumi baggies I have as far as how I like them, though the fit is a little different (in a good way).

The Club Ride chamois is horrible. Worst fitting chamois I've ever had. Never worn while riding because they were that bad. The Novara shorts have nice fitting chamois liners that I wear frequently. They're nice for a lighter, thinner chamois, too. But the baggies are too tight in the hips and restrict my movement when getting on and off the bike.

I like my baggies to have a nice 4-way stretch, and I like them to be reasonably form fitting, but also proportionate to my body, which means room for bigger thighs, but on a medium waist. Shorts that are too loose around my thighs snag on the saddle (like the Zoics I have).

I have a few pairs of various gym shorts I use for a lot of things...but not for riding. They're too loose and would snag on things.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Like Harold mentioned I find fit tends to be better on the more expensive gear. Now keep in mind each body is different, I am just speaking from my personal experience & what I sell to clients.

At the higher price point companies can afford to put a better chamois & have more peices of fabric to better contour the body. Right now I am transitioning to Dirt Baggie Shells & Liners. They are a little more expensive but they fit me excellent. The Shell retails fir ~$89 & the liner is ~$179, so each set is ~$270. Some might find that expensive, but some will be willing to pay the price fir comfort & control.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    To me, the bike specific baggies are much better than some non-mtb specific bike shorts. The mtb-specific bike shorts are much more durable, have stretchy breathable material, and are made to work well on a bike. I have several mtb shorts by well known name brand companies, some knock offs, and some from chinese companies. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Go to amazon. They have some non-name brand mtb shorts that are pretty good and are inexpensive. However, they won't have the quality of the name brand stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RideTheSpiral View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything, so here we go.

I am asking specifically about baggies, not lycra. Other than price, trail cred, and maybe some extra padding; is there any real difference between some Troy lee Designs or Fox shorts/jersey and some $20 Nike/Old Navy activewear?

I ride alone on low traffic trails so I'm not super worried about impressing other riders. Is there anything that I'm missing by buying 3 outfits for the price of 1 mtb specific brand? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with buying name brand stuff! It is just hard to fit it into my budget at this time.

thanks!
    About 3.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You will be OK with quality non bike gear, but some no name cheapo bike shorts are garbage. Nike stuff should be totally fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It just depends. With baggies the fabric matters less since you loose most of the wicking properties of the short. I would check ebay for new old stock sales. You can pick up Troy Lee Ace baggies and other brands new for around 50-60.00. The problem with non bike baggies is that they arn't cut for activity in a seated position so you end up with lots of loose fabric in places you don't want it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I used to do a lot of Olympic weightlifting and on occasion I'll wear the shorts I used for squatting, they are 4 way and wicking, not much in the way of pockets but they work well, legs have larger openings and the breathe nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Don't think it really matters. I have some baggies with a liner built in, made by a South African company (that most would never have heard of) and they are great. There are another couple of companies there that make similar product. I also have some standard Lycra shorts that I wear under any number of hiking or lighter fabric cargo shorts. Even nylon beach baggies. All work fine.

Hi There!
    I've got a pair of Gore and a pair of Garneau that I like quite a bit; the liners are good and most importantly they have the pockets where I want them. I have a cheap pair of Sugoi that I got off a clearance rack that are basically like Nike basketball shorts but with a so-so liner that I wear for short rides when I don't care about the pocket situation.

Like someone else said...I think the name brand biking shorts are just a little more bike specific than regular shorts, and I like that. I'm not out there to do a fashion show though, and impressing people or what people think about I'm wearing never even entered my mind.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I honestly buy good chamois shorts for under my baggies and find sales on hiking shorts for my top layer. Most have the same amount of stretch, extra pockets if you want cargos, and the same weather resistance. MTb clothing is good, but hiking clothing is a solid replacement and with the market being larger, you can find more deals.