How to fit new shoes?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

How to fit new shoes?

How do you know if you have a good fit on bike shoes? Any time I buy shoes, every brand is different. I just got a new pair of Specialized MTB shoes...they seem to fit, especially on the bike, but how do I know if they are right? Thanks, tdog!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogger20
    How do you know if you have a good fit on bike shoes? Any time I buy shoes, every brand is different. I just got a new pair of Specialized MTB shoes...they seem to fit, especially on the bike, but how do I know if they are right? Thanks, tdog!
    Well, I look for a couple things. I like my cycling shoes to fit a little snugger than my everyday shoes. Of course, I wear thinner socks while cycling, so that makes a difference, too.
    Provided my big toe isn't cramped, I feel the length is good. I also want a snug heelcup, and here's where each shoe is different. With the shoes laced/strapped/buckled tight, I should be able to stand on the balls or toes of my feet without the heel slipping. This is a good test without actually bolting cleats on and clipping in.
    If the heel slips, there's not much you can do but try another brand or model. For the rest, if your feet are comfortable after a ride, you're fine. Things like arch support can be changed with insoles, but look at the shoe itself first - some have a slight curve built in, while other use a flat inner.