How does your FF helmet fit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How does your FF helmet fit?

I just mail ordered a Giro Mad Max helmet. According to the sizing chart I was a medium @ 22.75", plus I already wear a medium Giro E2. In house test fit : The helmet is comfortable to wear , slight pressure on my cheeks. I read in the Giro owners manual w/ the chin strap tight you shouldn't be able to pull the helmet down past your line of vision or pull up to expose you fore head - well I can and wonder how a full face is supposed to fit? I think if it was any smaller the pressure would be too much on my cheeks. Any advice on how I should determine if I have a proper fit would be great. Thanx

Jan 2004
    just tighten the strap more Ya that doesn't seem too unusual to me but then again I use a ghetto 661 comp Go riding and crash once or twice, if you don't slip into a concussion ur good to go

USB Rep'n

Sage advice as always!

Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    Go riding and crash once or twice, if you don't slip into a concussion ur good to go
    very nice!

most ff come with a pad kit as well that fasten under the existing pads. that'll snug it up fore and aft for ya. a little movement is fine though.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Jun 2004

mine was like that

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I just mail ordered a Giro Mad Max helmet. According to the sizing chart I was a medium @ 22.75", plus I already wear a medium Giro E2. In house test fit : The helmet is comfortable to wear , slight pressure on my cheeks. I read in the Giro owners manual w/ the chin strap tight you shouldn't be able to pull the helmet down past your line of vision or pull up to expose you fore head - well I can and wonder how a full face is supposed to fit? I think if it was any smaller the pressure would be too much on my cheeks. Any advice on how I should determine if I have a proper fit would be great. Thanx

I had the same experience w/ my Mad Max (felt like chipmunk cheeks) when I first got it. I almost returned it, thinking they had misstated the sizing chart By about three rides the foam started to pack out and now it fits perfectly. Give it a few rides and it will be good to go.

BJ-

Jan 2004
    not going from ur info at all...it should be snug...but not tight...should do on and off without to much force and not restrict movement of your jaw at all...but a lil tight never hurt anyone but a lil loose did and has...just summin yo think about...

(Troy Lees are a bit different but the same applys)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    not going from ur info at all...it should be snug...but not tight...should do on and off without to much force and not restrict movement of your jaw at all...but a lil tight never hurt anyone but a lil loose did and has...just summin yo think about...

(Troy Lees are a bit different but the same applys)

The cheek part feels perfect. A slight amount of pressure is required to get my head into the helmet - it just seems like it could be a little tighter around the top of my head. Giro makes only two sizes sm / md. The medium fits 21.75" - 23.25" which seems like a big range to me. I have worn plenty of mx helemts that have a lot more padding around the face & head.

BJ-

Jan 2004
    well...

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    The cheek part feels perfect. A slight amount of pressure is required to get my head into the helmet - it just seems like it could be a little tighter around the top of my head. Giro makes only two sizes sm / md. The medium fits 21.75" - 23.25" which seems like a big range to me. I have worn plenty of mx helemts that have a lot more padding around the face & head.
    im thinking that should be ok...my TroyLee take a lil bit to get on as well but once on fits me so well it aint funny...if your worried about it...it sounds ok...then go to ur LBS and ask the guys hoe much room they have etc...they should ba able to tell u...or ring giro...

good luck...

but get it right...u wanna keep ur lid in one piece...

Aug 2004
    i really like my 661 ff comp, i really like it the padding is really cushy so it will even fit while my head grows . i like it alot more than my friend full bravo, his padding is rock hard and really uncomfortable. oh and if the padding feels like its too much it will conform to your face, well mine did.