How do you clean a helmet?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546

    How do you clean a helmet?

    I know this is a thread that is absolutely destined to be dirdir'd, , from the question, but in the meantime how can or do you clean a helmet? It's a white Giro Pneumo, but hard to tell where the white stops and the salt-sweat crust starts. I imagine not good to completely immerse it, but just maybe rinse the whole thing out? Will that affect the foam part inside, or get between the foam and shell?

  2. #2
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,499
    just rinse with hose water after each ride or whenever. It's foam and plastic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765

    duh

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    I know this is a thread that is absolutely destined to be dirdir'd, , from the question, but in the meantime how can or do you clean a helmet? It's a white Giro Pneumo, but hard to tell where the white stops and the salt-sweat crust starts. I imagine not good to completely immerse it, but just maybe rinse the whole thing out? Will that affect the foam part inside, or get between the foam and shell?
    When was the last time you saw a foam ice chest dissolve from water being in it.
    Just yank the pads and rinse them. Hose out the shell. And for God's sake, wash that greasy egg of yours.

  4. #4
    recovering roadie
    Reputation: dobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    602
    You have some options, depending on how funky it is.

    - You can rinse it off in the sink

    - I often pull mine into the pool with me after a ride - I figure the chlorine will help kill the stinky bacteria and the water will rinse away the salty stuff

    - In extremem cases, I hear that the dishwasher without hot water and no heated drying. I have never tried this...

    Good luck

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    For all my helmets I normally just take the foam pads out, throw them in a sock and wash the them in my laundry machine. For the helmet itself, I just rinse it under running water (I use the shower head) and give the straps a good scrubbing to get the sweat/salt out.

  6. #6
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,921
    Answer: I don't
    Ride more; post less...

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339
    Well, with a little finesse, starting with your weight forward as you approach the helmet, then the forward compression followed by the rear-shift of your weight -- pulling up -- throw your weight forward....

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    When was the last time you saw a foam ice chest dissolve from water being in it.
    Just yank the pads and rinse them. Hose out the shell. And for God's sake, wash that greasy egg of yours.
    Ahh, but I am your prophet, and the glare from "my greasy egg" lights your way! Besides, just wait till tomorrow, you in your cubicle surfing MTBR, sneak attack, and nobody will know it was me, next door is gonna think it was you!

  9. #9
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    You have some options, depending on how funky it is.

    - You can rinse it off in the sink

    - I often pull mine into the pool with me after a ride - I figure the chlorine will help kill the stinky bacteria and the water will rinse away the salty stuff

    - In extremem cases, I hear that the dishwasher without hot water and no heated drying. I have never tried this...

    Good luck
    It works! The dishwasher is my magic cleaner for baseball caps, camelbaks, lots of strange things that you'd never want to put in the washing machine by need a deep clean. Never tried a helmet in there, but I'm sure it would work. I just use regular cycle but no heated drying, and regular dishwasher detergent. Stuff comes out sweet and clean!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765

    Note to self:....

    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It works! The dishwasher is my magic cleaner for baseball caps, camelbaks, lots of strange things that you'd never want to put in the washing machine by need a deep clean. Never tried a helmet in there, but I'm sure it would work. I just use regular cycle but no heated drying, and regular dishwasher detergent. Stuff comes out sweet and clean!
    Never eat anything served on Kathleen's dishes.

  11. #11
    It rains here. :(
    Reputation: Umbrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It works! The dishwasher is my magic cleaner for baseball caps, camelbaks, lots of strange things that you'd never want to put in the washing machine by need a deep clean. Never tried a helmet in there, but I'm sure it would work. I just use regular cycle but no heated drying, and regular dishwasher detergent. Stuff comes out sweet and clean!

    As a side note, the dishwasher also works great for a sticky keyboard that has had beer/soda spilled onto it.

  12. #12
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    As a side note, the dishwasher also works great for a sticky keyboard that has had beer/soda spilled onto it.
    Are you sure that that was beer/soda?

  13. #13
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Never eat anything served on Kathleen's dishes.
    Haha... dishes and camelbaks always get separate loads. But usually I just handwash my dishes since I never have that many to clean. It's safe to eat off my dishes. Now eating my cooking, that's another story!

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    624

    I second the dishwasher!

    I've used the DW to clean both XC and full face DH helmets. Works like a charm. Just don't use the drying cycle! Then I usually (when its warm) put them outside in the shade to dry completely. I've always used DW detergent. And no, I don't put dishes in there with my funky helmets!

  15. #15
    It rains here. :(
    Reputation: Umbrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Are you sure that that was beer/soda?

    Nice.

    Go get a women sounds like you could use one.

  16. #16
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Haha... dishes and camelbaks always get separate loads. But usually I just handwash my dishes since I never have that many to clean. It's safe to eat off my dishes. Now eating my cooking, that's another story!
    I'll eat off your dishes anytime.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  17. #17
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Well, with a little finesse, starting with your weight forward as you approach the helmet, then the forward compression followed by the rear-shift of your weight -- pulling up -- throw your weight forward....
    I suggest getting your weight waaaaay back and laying off the front brake as you come off the visor.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  18. #18
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    720
    Well now I know what I am doing this weekend.

  19. #19
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,534
    Take it to the carwash - with the high pressure soapy wand.

    Take your grungy bike - you can wash two things at once.

    Use the low pressure soapy setting and get everything (bike and helmet) soaked and soapy.

    Then turn on the pressure. Blast the dried sweat salt and grit out of the helmet.

    Then blast the grease, dust and gunk off the bike. Spend particular attention to the chain, drivetrain, hubs, fork seals and bottom bracket. Get all that greasy dirt out of there.

    Rinse everything off - and there you go.


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    As far as the helmet, I usually crash them until they are no good before they need a wash!

    I do not however, recommend ever using high pressure spray on a bike, unless you like to keep your local techs fat with cash for all the tune ups and replacement bearings and bushings in lieu of tune ups. I only use water when I have been mudding (low pressure, no nozzle from the hose) and follow that with a complete tear down and re grease. I use Tire Foam and a rag to wash the bike otherwise. It works on the paint ( nice shine afterwards) and the drivetrain ( as a degreaser) and will not harm any finish I have seen yet.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imtnbke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,050
    This is helpful information. I'm going to try my dishwasher. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but does one have to remove the pads first? Thanks.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    471
    I usually just hop in the shower with mine. I would avoid the dishwasher though since the water in there gets mighty hot and might cause damage. I usually just shampoo the inside (while I'm shampooing my hair) and rinse it. Kinda funny bringing it in the shower with me, but I find it works well!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.