How do you clean a helmet?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

How do you clean a helmet?

I know this is a thread that is absolutely destined to be dirdir'd, , from the question, but in the meantime how can or do you clean a helmet? It's a white Giro Pneumo, but hard to tell where the white stops and the salt-sweat crust starts. I imagine not good to completely immerse it, but just maybe rinse the whole thing out? Will that affect the foam part inside, or get between the foam and shell?

EDR
    just rinse with hose water after each ride or whenever. It's foam and plastic.

mtbr member

duh

Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    I know this is a thread that is absolutely destined to be dirdir'd, , from the question, but in the meantime how can or do you clean a helmet? It's a white Giro Pneumo, but hard to tell where the white stops and the salt-sweat crust starts. I imagine not good to completely immerse it, but just maybe rinse the whole thing out? Will that affect the foam part inside, or get between the foam and shell?
    When was the last time you saw a foam ice chest dissolve from water being in it.
    Just yank the pads and rinse them. Hose out the shell. And for God's sake, wash that greasy egg of yours.

recovering roadie
    You have some options, depending on how funky it is.

- You can rinse it off in the sink

- I often pull mine into the pool with me after a ride - I figure the chlorine will help kill the stinky bacteria and the water will rinse away the salty stuff

- In extremem cases, I hear that the dishwasher without hot water and no heated drying. I have never tried this...

Good luck

mtbr member
    For all my helmets I normally just take the foam pads out, throw them in a sock and wash the them in my laundry machine. For the helmet itself, I just rinse it under running water (I use the shower head) and give the straps a good scrubbing to get the sweat/salt out.

I am Walt
    Answer: I don't
    Ride more; post less...

Oct 2005
    Well, with a little finesse, starting with your weight forward as you approach the helmet, then the forward compression followed by the rear-shift of your weight -- pulling up -- throw your weight forward....

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    When was the last time you saw a foam ice chest dissolve from water being in it.
    Just yank the pads and rinse them. Hose out the shell. And for God's sake, wash that greasy egg of yours.
    Ahh, but I am your prophet, and the glare from "my greasy egg" lights your way! Besides, just wait till tomorrow, you in your cubicle surfing MTBR, sneak attack, and nobody will know it was me, next door is gonna think it was you!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    You have some options, depending on how funky it is.

- You can rinse it off in the sink

- I often pull mine into the pool with me after a ride - I figure the chlorine will help kill the stinky bacteria and the water will rinse away the salty stuff

- In extremem cases, I hear that the dishwasher without hot water and no heated drying. I have never tried this...

Good luck
    It works! The dishwasher is my magic cleaner for baseball caps, camelbaks, lots of strange things that you'd never want to put in the washing machine by need a deep clean. Never tried a helmet in there, but I'm sure it would work. I just use regular cycle but no heated drying, and regular dishwasher detergent. Stuff comes out sweet and clean!

mtbr member

Note to self:....

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It works! The dishwasher is my magic cleaner for baseball caps, camelbaks, lots of strange things that you'd never want to put in the washing machine by need a deep clean. Never tried a helmet in there, but I'm sure it would work. I just use regular cycle but no heated drying, and regular dishwasher detergent. Stuff comes out sweet and clean!
    Never eat anything served on Kathleen's dishes.

It rains here. :(

As a side note, the dishwasher also works great for a sticky keyboard that has had beer/soda spilled onto it.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    As a side note, the dishwasher also works great for a sticky keyboard that has had beer/soda spilled onto it.
    Are you sure that that was beer/soda?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Never eat anything served on Kathleen's dishes.
    Haha... dishes and camelbaks always get separate loads. But usually I just handwash my dishes since I never have that many to clean. It's safe to eat off my dishes. Now eating my cooking, that's another story!

Sep 2004

I second the dishwasher!

I've used the DW to clean both XC and full face DH helmets. Works like a charm. Just don't use the drying cycle! Then I usually (when its warm) put them outside in the shade to dry completely. I've always used DW detergent. And no, I don't put dishes in there with my funky helmets!

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Are you sure that that was beer/soda?

Nice.

Go get a women sounds like you could use one.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Haha... dishes and camelbaks always get separate loads. But usually I just handwash my dishes since I never have that many to clean. It's safe to eat off my dishes. Now eating my cooking, that's another story!
    I'll eat off your dishes anytime.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Well, with a little finesse, starting with your weight forward as you approach the helmet, then the forward compression followed by the rear-shift of your weight -- pulling up -- throw your weight forward....
    I suggest getting your weight waaaaay back and laying off the front brake as you come off the visor.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Large wheels & one gear
    Well now I know what I am doing this weekend.

Hey, wait up!
    Take it to the carwash - with the high pressure soapy wand.

Take your grungy bike - you can wash two things at once.

Use the low pressure soapy setting and get everything (bike and helmet) soaked and soapy.

Then turn on the pressure. Blast the dried sweat salt and grit out of the helmet.

Then blast the grease, dust and gunk off the bike. Spend particular attention to the chain, drivetrain, hubs, fork seals and bottom bracket. Get all that greasy dirt out of there.

Rinse everything off - and there you go.

mtbr member
    As far as the helmet, I usually crash them until they are no good before they need a wash!

I do not however, recommend ever using high pressure spray on a bike, unless you like to keep your local techs fat with cash for all the tune ups and replacement bearings and bushings in lieu of tune ups. I only use water when I have been mudding (low pressure, no nozzle from the hose) and follow that with a complete tear down and re grease. I use Tire Foam and a rag to wash the bike otherwise. It works on the paint ( nice shine afterwards) and the drivetrain ( as a degreaser) and will not harm any finish I have seen yet.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    This is helpful information. I'm going to try my dishwasher. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but does one have to remove the pads first? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I usually just hop in the shower with mine. I would avoid the dishwasher though since the water in there gets mighty hot and might cause damage. I usually just shampoo the inside (while I'm shampooing my hair) and rinse it. Kinda funny bringing it in the shower with me, but I find it works well!

Members who have read this thread: 0