Hot Weather Gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hot Weather Gear

Most apparel companies assume that if you are wearing a long sleeve jersey, you are in a colder climate. But I prefer to cover up when it gets blazing hot, mainly for sun protection. You just can't spend 3-4 days in the sun in Moab for example, and not get pretty toasted, even if you apply sunscreen on all day long. I find a long sleeve jersey actually keeps me cooler because it is like being in the shade, but it also just prevents sunburns.

I've been looking high and low for long-sleeved XC jerseys for hot weather. Any suggestions? Here is one idea:

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/louis-g...ersey-8159802/

Second Question: Does a dark color helmet make you hotter than a lighter colored helmet? I think a dark colored jersey definitely makes you hotter, the sun really heats up a dark jersey and I can feel it. But a helmet has a bunch of layers of foam, and I don't think the heat can transfer through foam very well. I suspect the difference is negligible.

Any other suggestions on hot weather gear are welcome.

mtbr member
    In the summer I wear thin Club Ride type shirts that are amazingly cool with some Aliexpress sun sleeves. Not going to invest in a long sleeve jersey because there is a very good chance I'll shred the sleeves. Cheap sun sleeves are more versatile for me.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

high pivot witchcraft
    Lots of threads on the helmet colour issue. In short, zero difference. Any additional heat absorbed by the darker colours never makes it through the shell to your noggin.

As for the shirt issue, I have a lot of long sleeve jerseys from TLD, Sombrio, RaceFace, Fox, Kona, and numerous others. Most are paper thin, white or mostly white and have little holes punched throughout. Nonetheless, nothing beats a white, short sleeved synthetic t-shirt to beat the heat. For me anyway. I slap on the sunscreen and life is good. I like $15 Oakley O-Hydrolix t-shirts but any will do.

mtbr member
    I agree, I think the heat just doesn't make it through the helmet. And for heat, a short-sleeve shirt is really the best, but when you are several days in the brutal sun, a long sleeve offers relief from sunburns.

I'm thinking about the Troy Lee A2 helmet. Seems like it checks all the safety boxes (EPS, MIPS, etc.). And it is reasonable at $175 (my LBS has it 20% off too).

mtbr member
    I'd be looking at arm sleeves. Either spf sleeves or arm coolers. I've used them for many years now. They work great. Just rinse them out with soap and water after your ride, and ready for the next day. Super useful and cheap solution.

I always buy the lighter colored helmets anyway...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Short-sleeved jersey, sun block, TLD A2, plenty of water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    ... I prefer to cover up when it gets blazing hot, mainly for sun protection. ...
    Any other suggestions on hot weather gear are welcome.
    One thing to keep in mind is the UPF of dark vs light clothing can be very different, especially if it becomes wet (from sweat). If UV protection is a priority, I'd consider dark clothes due to this, and I wouldn't get too hung up on the ideas around if dark or light clothes keep you cooler, as this seems to be food for Internet 'splaining... and depends on many factors, such as how much heat your body is putting out, what the relative wind speed is on the bike, how baggy your clothes are, etc. etc.

I favor sun sleeves too, since they give me more uses for my short sleeve shirts, and I find long sleeve shirts don't always go to my gloves. The downside is they are not baggy, so if they warm up, they won't do as good a job keeping the heat off your body. If my first priorities weren't poison oak and tick protection, I'd probably be searching more for loose fitting long sleeve jerseys.

I wear full finger hot weather gloves, and they breathe really well. "Leatt DBX 2.0 X-Flow 2018"

Light freak
    I like to wear motocross jerseys - long sleeved, perforated and not too expensive

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...w=1280&bih=831

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Arts cycling has last year's model of 100% Celium and Airomatic shirts on sale. The Celium is the lightest weight fabric I have found in a cycling-spefic jersey. Nike used to have some super light cycling fabrics but I guess they stopped. Perl Izumi base layer jerseys work because they air thin but not translucent. The TLD Skyline Air is nice but a bit baggier.

I haven't ridden in a sleeveless jersey in a long, long time but I thinking about a tank top this year. I've been eating right so I may do a bit of manscaping and ride shirtless.

mtbr member
    I find race-cut roadie jerseys to be cooler as the sweat dampened fabric is held against the skin so the evaporative cooling has the best effect.
    Do the math.

The Voice of Reason
    i use that 90 spf sunscreen but i still roast in the sun. i've taken to wearing cheap lightweight long sleeve button up shirts. the tops of my legs get a rash in the sun even with sunscreen so i was looking for some lightweight knickers. i made an experimental pair out of long hiking pants that seem to work but i was hoping to find something a little less home made looking. some days it's just too hot to ride.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I agree, I think the heat just doesn't make it through the helmet. And for heat, a short-sleeve shirt is really the best, but when you are several days in the brutal sun, a long sleeve offers relief from sunburns.

I'm thinking about the Troy Lee A2 helmet. Seems like it checks all the safety boxes (EPS, MIPS, etc.). And it is reasonable at $175 (my LBS has it 20% off too).
    A black helmet will definitely transfer more infra-red heat to your head than a white helmet, but if you're moving then the cooling airflow will make the difference negligible. You'd notice the difference in still air though. Talking of airflow, the Troy Lee A2 is really quite impressive on that front. I haven't had a chance to wear mine in the summer heat yet, but the difference between my old Giro and the A2 is that the A2 requires an extra hat layer in the winter so I'm looking forward to all that extra cooling in the summer.

I prefer a tight sleeveless tri top in the summer heat. But then the summer heat here rarely tops 25 C (77 F); if I was biking in Death Valley then I'd probably have to dress like a Bedouin and put up with the extra wind resistance.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.