Hot Hands need cooler full finger gloves soon- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Hot Hands need cooler full finger gloves soon

It is going to be 80 this weekend, we skipped Spring and went striaght to summer. A spill last night has put me in the market for some new gloves.

Any recommendations - my hands and feet heat up quick. I have been using AXO gloves. TIA

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Yep, I recommend full fingered gloves, from -whatever° to 100°+. Maybe in a place like phoenix when it's 120° and you REALLY wanted to ride, then go for less than full fingers, but then again there are plenty of nasty things there and I'd still use them. Just drink more water, stay hydrated, etc. I've always ridden with full fingers, in all kinds of hot weather, and never regretted it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Yep, I recommend full fingered gloves, from -whatever° to 100°+. Maybe in a place like phoenix when it's 120° and you REALLY wanted to ride, then go for less than full fingers, but then again there are plenty of nasty things there and I'd still use them. Just drink more water, stay hydrated, etc. I've always ridden with full fingers, in all kinds of hot weather, and never regretted it.
    Fingerless gloves are for road biking. That's the only place I use them. People who are riding actual off road trails with fingerless gloves either haven't fallen very much or are very, very lucky. It seems no matter how hard you try to condition yourself not to put a hand out when you go down (the broken wrist mantra), it still occurs with some regularity--just a normal human response I guess. With modern wicking fiber in gloves with good venting, there's just no reason not wear real gloves for real protection. You ever try to go to work on Monday with crusty scabs on your nubs?--and picking your nose becomes a real challenge.

mtbr member

I live in South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman
    It is going to be 80 this weekend, we skipped Spring and went striaght to summer. A spill last night has put me in the market for some new gloves.

Any recommendations - my hands and feet heat up quick. I have been using AXO gloves. TIA
    Where obviously the heat is brutal. I recently got some Louis Gareneau Ergo Air full finger gloves and they're really well ventilated.

They may be too well ventilated at the sacrifice of some protection, as the sides of the fingers and back of hand are almost like a mesh. I haven't hurt my hands in a crash yet, but it does seem more likely with these gloves than some other more armored gloves, but I guess that's the price I'm paying for cooler gloves.

Feb 2004

661 gloves

Picked a pair of these up from Performance (on sale $20) and they're quite breathable and sturdy. No matter what, though, full-finger's will be hot.

Nat
    mtbr member
    80, jeez. Crank up the A/C and douse yourself in ice water. J/K.

These Pearl Izumi gel-iite gloves are nice, and not too hot. Although they don't have as much back of the hand padding as say Fox or AXO gloves, they're the most soft, stretchy, and therefore comfy full-finger gloves I've owned.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi...tColorsTB=6938

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    The Specialized Ridge full finger gloves have excellent ventilation, and are extremely comfortable (and fit me like, well, a glove), but the LBS guy said he goes through several of those a year. I lost one of the gloves and now I have some 661 Comps (Nashbar sale). They're more sturdy than the Ridge gloves, but the padding isn't as well designed, although they are still comfortable. There's more padding on the back of the hand, and don't ventilate as well, but I haven't had any problems with heat as long as I was moving.

mtbr member

Specialized....

I have always run short fingered gloves, but have wanted to try some full gloves.
    I just ordered a set of these today...Specialized.Team XC (02's) for $24
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...wn1yqeh.j27006

I have always liked Specialized gloves so thought I would give them a shot.

KMan

Mar 2004

2 more: Rocket Parts & Fox

I picked up some Rocket Parts gloves called Spyder. Breath increadibly well. I love them. In fact, I'm glad you brought this up. Though mine are a couple years old and are still going strong, I'm going to pick up another pair. I highly recommend these. So do others.

Everyone around here raves about Fox. So, I have no doubt they're pretty good too.
    Last edited by LowRent1; 04-16-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Jabberwocky Jockey

Mechanix Wear

Pros: cheap, cool, durable, comes in camo and lotsa other colors.

Cons: No padding (if that matters).

Got mine at Autozone for $19.00, can be had on Ebay for $15.00 (including freight).
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Still chuggin' along
    Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    Picked a pair of these up from Performance (on sale $20) and they're quite breathable and sturdy. No matter what, though, full-finger's will be hot.
    Have you ridden in those yet? They were, by far, the hottest gloves I've used and it was only 75 deg outside and I thought my hands were going to suffocate! I've since purchased some of the Louis Garneau ones and am anxiously awaiting hot weather again so I can try them out.

Although, the previous year and a half I've been using FOX Static gloves and those are cooler than the SixSixOne gloves but still not cool enough when it gets over 80 (part of that might be due to the fact that they're black).
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I will have to say that if you go for fancy looking gloves with all the logos and decorations all over them, they are going to be hot. I like my troy lee designs 'XC' glove, it offers enough protection that the worlds best Down hillers wear them, but they are still quite light. Fox also has a pair like these, which would be quite good(I think the incline).
    Pearl izumi has a nice pair out that look really sweet, but they cost 80(AUD) here, compared to 55(AUD) for some troys.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Have you ridden in those yet? They were, by far, the hottest gloves I've used and it was only 75 deg outside and I thought my hands were going to suffocate! I've since purchased some of the Louis Garneau ones and am anxiously awaiting hot weather again so I can try them out.

Although, the previous year and a half I've been using FOX Static gloves and those are cooler than the SixSixOne gloves but still not cool enough when it gets over 80 (part of that might be due to the fact that they're black).
    I may be mistaken, but I think I recommended the Louis Garneua gloves when you posted. Ironically, I went to performance to get a pair of those glove and they were out. I ended up buying a pair of Fox Sidewinder gloves. They aren't as cool as the garneau gloves, but they'll do until it start getting hot around here.

The garneau gloves are by far the best ventilated full fingered glove I've tried. As someone else mentioned, durability is the issue with those gloves. They are comfortable, though.

Dec 2003
    I used the Louis Garneau ergo airs all last summer and they are probably the coolest of the ones I've used in the past (Fox, Axo, Pearls). They don't offer as much protection but I guess there has to be a tradeoff somewhere. They've held up pretty well and I'm on the second season with them but they getting pretty ragged so a new pair will be purchased soon. I do use fingerless gloves on the road and occassionally on easlier trails. Being in Michigan, really hot temps are not usually an issue.

mtbr member
    I was able to get some Fox Pawtectors from a small motorcycle shop for $25. They might fit your need. Only thing they're lacking is terry cloth for wiping sweat like most bicycle gloves have.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    80, jeez. Crank up the A/C and douse yourself in ice water. J/K.

These Pearl Izumi gel-iite gloves are nice, and not too hot. Although they don't have as much back of the hand padding as say Fox or AXO gloves, they're the most soft, stretchy, and therefore comfy full-finger gloves I've owned.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi...tColorsTB=6938
    I will give a second vote for the PI Gel-Lite's. Nice and light (perfect for our Queensland, Australia weather). Breath very well so I haven't noticed my hands sweating up as much as usual. Also the gel palm seems to have stopped that numb feeling that I used to get when riding.

suck it trebeK
    I don't think full-finger gloves are necessary all the time, how often do you hurt that half of your finger? I suppose if you are doing some more extreme riding and in alot of rocks. I guess I've just never had a problem wearing half-fingered gloves, and I've had my share of spills also...

dirtbag
    Like someone else recommended, RPP Sypder gloves are just the ticket.Real quality gloves. I've got an old pair that have lasted 3 seasons so far. They're great during the hot, humid summer rides here in the southeast.