Horseshoes, Handgrenades. Help.- Mtbr.com
    Open the canned peaches!

Horseshoes, Handgrenades. Help.

Howdy,
    I'm just finishing up converting my old Stumpjumper to a ss-rigid ride and the magic gearing I thought was working in the garage turns out to be just slightly to loose for the trail. My first ride out I dropped the chain twice and thought maybe after I learn to "finesse" my new ride through the technical climbs I wouldn't lose the chain. Second ride out dropped it a couple more times and now I realize I need to get this remedied before I go again. The gearing (32-18) is great for the trails I ride so I'm hoping I can make this work.
    So, a few things have crossed my mind to work this out (besides a tensioner or eno hub), which of these, or combination of these, might be my best bet? :

1. Subtract a half link
    2. New chain (BMX type?)
    3. BMX type cog

Anything else? I've been able to do the conversion on the cheap up to this point so hoping to keep it that way.
    Last edited by KBZ77; 05-29-2006 at 03:12 PM.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Use your old derailure

or $20 pyramid Singelator.

Put a short piece of cable in your old derailure and adjust your Set screws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBZ77
    Howdy,
    I'm just finishing up converting my old Stumpjumper to a ss-rigid ride and the magic gearing I thought was working in the garage turns out to be just slightly to loose for the trail. My first ride out I dropped the chain twice and thought maybe after I learn to "finesse" my new ride through the technical climbs I wouldn't lose the chain. Second ride out dropped it a couple more times and now I realize I need to get this remedied before I go again. The gearing (32-18) is great for the trails I ride so I'm hoping I can make this work.
    So, a few things have crossed my mind to work this out (besides a tensioner or eno hub), which of these, or combination of these, might be my best bet? :

1. Subtract a half link
    2. New chain (BMX type?)
    3. BMX type cog

Anything else? I've been able to do the conversion on the cheap up to this point so hoping to keep it that way.
    How much slack does the chain have now?
    How old is the chain? A new chain will be tighter.

BMX cog may help with a loose chain.

Put a 20T cog on, if it fits then a half-link subtraction will help. If its too tight then a half-link subtraction will be too tight.

I don't classify ENO as cheap.

Got Mojo?
    Howdy,
    I'm just finishing up converting my old Stumpjumper to a ss-rigid ride and the magic gearing I thought was working in the garage turns out to be just slightly to loose for the trail.

how about a DH chainguide?

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was able to make my M2 Stumper work without a tensioner by removing the replaceable deraileur hanger.

paintbucket
    Rat tail file to the dropout and/or a flat file to the axle. Sounds like you only need a few millimeters.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

French for "Suck"
    Suck it up and get a Rennen Rollenlager.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Suck it up and get a Rennen Rollenlager.
    worked perfectly for me but then my chain stretched and the magic ratio was available to me.

Misfit Psycles
    the best tensioner in the world won't scare the skip monster away if the drive train or setup is flawed...

is the chain ONLY skipping, not jumping off?
    how olde is the chain?
    how olde is the cog and ring? worn?
    was the chain working with the cog and ring prior to conversion? or is one of the three items new/from a different ride?

if your answers are yes, ok, ok, yes then try a tensioner. otherwise something else may be to blame - wholly or partially.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

dirty hippy mountainbiker

replace the dropouts

A friend did to an old Stumpy frame over the weekend. Haven't tested it yet. But seems like anyone good with his hands and a torch should be able to figure it out.

Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Use a SS specific cog and ring. Even with a good chain line and a tight chain I have had ramped cogs "shift" the chain off. Not only do SS specific gears lack ramps, they also have taller teeth to help prevent the chain from coming off. On my Diamondback Apex with its "magic" gear combo the chain can be pushed up and down an inch or close to it, but even on the roughest terrain the chain has never come off.

Open the canned peaches!

The Saga Continues...

Thanks for all the input.
    Today I removed the removable der. hanger hoping to get that extra 1 or 2 mm to tension the chain up better and behold it was tighter to the point of a slight bind at one or two spots. I had to readjust the brakes a little to the drive train side, but other than that all seemed good and I headed out for a quick ride to check it out.
    At the bottom of the first climb I checked it again and the bind was gone but chain still seemed tighter than before so I headed up. Got to nearly the top of a 15 minute, in and out of the saddle climb and, damn, chain drops off. So I know I can get this beeotch tight I just need to get my wheel on tighter right? SNAP. Broken skewer. Walk home. DAMMIT!!
    I headed to the LBS and tell them my sob story and the guy looks at me like DUH, your using a skewer, your wheel will never stay put. For a $10 solid axle and $15 labor to install it, you'll be set up and your bolted wheel will stay in place and if your chain tension is right at the beginning of your climb it still will be at the top. Sounds good to me.
    Now I thought people did use skewers on ss conversions, but I was wrong once before.
    They did say they were pretty sure my specialized hub could be converted to a solid axle, but I didn't order it up right there, since I didn't have my wheel with me and they seemed a little unsure about the hub.
    I think the bottom line is the tension is ok, but the wheel wasn't staying put. So new chains, cogs, and rings seem secondary to this problem, no?
    So how about it? I'm willing to spend 25 clams if this will be the final answer. Any thoughts?
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

Got Mojo?
    I headed to the LBS and tell them my sob story and the guy looks at me like DUH, your using a skewer, your wheel will never stay put. For a $10 solid axle and $15 labor to install it, you'll be set up and your bolted wheel will stay in place and if your chain tension is right at the beginning of your climb it still will be at the top. Sounds good to me.
    Now I thought people did use skewers on ss conversions, but I was wrong once before.
    You can use a skewer, but tension will be a problem. If they can do a solid axle w/bold on that may remedie your problem. May.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    If I were you, I would take Polks advice and get a SS specific ring and cog. While you are at it, buy a new chain. The SS specifis ring and cog will have taller teeth that will help keep the chain on ALOT. Also, if your chain is used, it has likely stretched a bit already, and will continue to do so. I'll bet with the combination of new cog, ring, and chain your tension will be almost too tight untill the chain stretches a bit. You can get a BMX cog for like $4.00, and you should be able to find a ring for less than $30.00. Either a Surly steel one, or a Salsa aluminum non-ramped one. Combine those with an SRAM PC-1 chain and you will have a bombproff combination. A solid axle is not required and will make changing a flat on the trail that much harder.

Members who have read this thread: 0