hoots armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: hoots armor

Mar 2004

hoots armor

I'm looking for opinions on hoots armor. anyone? anyone?

There's no app for this.

had some

knees/shins. The shins move around=unprotected legs, so I sold it. Upper body I dunno. I use Roach legs (FR)now, and Dainese Safety jacket. Works best for me. Jim

Mar 2004

armor

Im using the fr roach as well, but i ran into a guy that was ranting and raving about hoots so i thought id ask. how do you like the dianese?

There's no app for this.

It's a great necessary evil

I prefer no armour but if you must, IMHO Dainese is the stuff to have. I've only tried Fox Roost as an early learning experience, I sold it. Jim

Mar 2004

still wondering

thanks for the insight, it impossible to try out any thing like that where i am.
    if anyone else has an opinion on hoots id love tot hear it.

mtbr member
    I've had Dainese leg armour for a few years and have recently bought the new Roach FR Rally armour, it's amazing and doesn't move around at all (I'm serious.)

I looked at Hoots but thought they were over priced compared to the Roach pads (would have run me close to CAN$150 for Hoots vs CAN$95 for Roach) and I knew the Roach were going to work well since I'd ridden last fall with a guy who owned a prototype pair and in a week of riding I never saw him adjust the pads during a ride.

Hubbaman

mtbr member
    Tried Hoots two-piece leg armour - found I had to adjust it a lot while on the trail. Knee protection is better for the big huckers than the Roach. The new Ralley FR stay put and offered good protection so far. Protection and fit are trade-off, so decide how much pedalling vs road gaps you are doing. If you are doing the latter think Hoots or RalleyDH pads, if the former, think RalleyFR.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas
    I've got a set of the Hoots Upper Body Armour.I was sort off disappointed when I got it because the X large didn't come close to fitting me.My wife,who is a seamstress took one look at it and said that it was sewed wrong.She took it to her shop and 30 minutes later all was well.
    The armour is nice and light and I can forget that I'm wearing it except for the fact that you can get pretty warm with it on but that's the way it is with all armour.
    The chest and back protection is excellant as is the shoulder protection.It's saved me from really serious injury a few times.I'll be interested to see what kind of longevity I can get out of it.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been using Hoot's knee/shin armor for about 6 months now and here's the lowdown:

For freeriding (and dirt jumping), it's the best armor I've found - the thickest foam, backing up the widest plastic shells, with a back-of-the-calf protector built in (no more pedal slap taking out the skin on the back of the leg!) - I've taken some pretty damn good falls freeriding and dirt jumping and these pads provide the best protection for your legs on the market (IMHO)

here are the issues: It's big stuff - I would NOT wear the pads pedaling anywhere up (they go in my DaKine Apex pack for the ride up, along with my full-face) - they are hot & uncomfortable for pedaling up for any length of time. They would not be great for DH racing - all that padding and armor would get in the way of all your pedaling on a course (I believe Hoot's has a different leg armor for DH racing anyway - although a friend of mine who is a female pro-dh racer wears them - swears she goes faster because she feels so protected) - they also tend to rub the back of my knees raw if I wear them alone - so I usually where XC-style knee-warmers to protect the back of the knee - these also seem to keep them in place.

so, if you are going to not wear them on the ride up, put them on and hit some rocky or North Shore style trails, if you are going to dirt jump, if you are going to fall - best pads you can get - If you're going to race, if you live in the Arizona desert and are going to try to wear them on the ride to the top of South Mountain - look elsewhere....

Mar 2004

where to buy?

anyone know of a place in the southeast that carries it?

There's no app for this.

QBP is the US dist.

anyone know of a place in the southeast that carries it?

http://www.hootsgear.com/dealers.html
    or order from Canada.

Jim