Hip Pack with resevoir- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    608

    Hip Pack with resevoir

    Not a bottle guy.
    Was looking to get a Dakine Hot Laps 5L, but I am not sure if they discontinued this or not as I can't find any.

    The new EVOC Pro 3L looks nice, but there is hardly any storage if you use the resevoir.

    Anything comparable to these? I have a backpack, but want a hip pack now.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,767
    Dakine's Canadian website shows the Hot Laps 5L as available ("add to cart"), so check the US site again.
    Camelbak have a couple, Vantage LR https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...bff2a281977191
    and Repack LR4 https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...6fefcc00a70bce

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Dakine's Canadian website shows the Hot Laps 5L as available ("add to cart"), so check the US site again.
    Camelbak have a couple, Vantage LR https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...bff2a281977191
    and Repack LR4 https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...6fefcc00a70bce
    Reviews on the repack say it is crazy small. I tried one on and could barely buckle it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,046
    What all are you wanting to carry? Hip packs are going to be a bit minimalistic due to how they support the weight.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,310
    tuckerjt07 Nailed it..

    I run the EVOC Pro 3 and can pack quite a bit in as well as the side pouches. I did put a tube and tools in initially but moved those items to my frame mainly to lower weight.

    I find if the pack is too heavy it just hangs low and will bounce no matter how much you cinch it down.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,046
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    tuckerjt07 Nailed it..

    I run the EVOC Pro 3 and can pack quite a bit in as well as the side pouches. I did put a tube and tools in initially but moved those items to my frame mainly to lower weight.

    I find if the pack is too heavy it just hangs low and will bounce no matter how much you cinch it down.
    Same for me. Even a bladder and two bottles is too much weight unless it's hot out. Run a frame strap, OneUp EDC in the steerer and miscellaneous stuff in the pack.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chicane32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    860
    I've been using the Source Hipster for about 1 1/2 years now and I forget it's on while riding. It's not bulky(like some others) and rarely moves around. I have never used the extra shoulder straps it comes with either. I use it for water and small tools, but still carry one other bottle with a mix. I still carry a tube strap with C02 on my frame, because I don't want that extra weight around my waist, but I like it much better than a hydration back pack. I also only fill the bladder about 3/4 full which keeps the weight down and gives me the extra needed water.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,051
    Check out the Henry Enduro pack. Essentially a hip pack with shoulder straps.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    66
    I have been using the repack for well over a year. I strap gear to my bike but keep my phone and some misc things in the repack. It is great.

    I think a waist size over 36-38 would have trouble buckling in.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    What all are you wanting to carry? Hip packs are going to be a bit minimalistic due to how they support the weight.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Water, wallet, Samsung Note 8 in case, keys, and some gels

    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    tuckerjt07 Nailed it..

    I run the EVOC Pro 3 and can pack quite a bit in as well as the side pouches. I did put a tube and tools in initially but moved those items to my frame mainly to lower weight.

    I find if the pack is too heavy it just hangs low and will bounce no matter how much you cinch it down.
    That is good to know. From pics it looked like if you use the bladder, there is no room for anything else.
    Also, is this the newest version with velcro on the belt? I read reviews that the other model had issues with it loosening in the belt, does this one stay tight?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,046
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    Water, wallet, Samsung Note 8 in case, keys, and some gels



    That is good to know. From pics it looked like if you use the bladder, there is no room for anything else.
    Also, is this the newest version with velcro on the belt? I read reviews that the other model had issues with it loosening in the belt, does this one stay tight?
    All of that should fit fine. It stays in place pretty well, even has a buckle to help but just the velcro is more than enough. The Ventiflap is a nice touch as well.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,363
    Small point, but the lower the reservoir, the harder it is to suck water. Going from a high on the back reservoir to a hip pack is quite noticeable.
    Do the math.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chicane32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Small point, but the lower the reservoir, the harder it is to suck water. Going from a high on the back reservoir to a hip pack is quite noticeable.
    Not with the Source Hipster, which has a twist bite valve. That water flows the same as my Osprey, if not better.

  14. #14
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Small point, but the lower the reservoir, the harder it is to suck water. Going from a high on the back reservoir to a hip pack is quite noticeable.
    really? sounds like a kinked hose. We are talking like ~10in here, I felt zero difference...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Seventh-777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    490
    Another +1 for the EVOC. After 5 seasons with an Osprey Zealot 16 on my back, I made the switch this past season. I have both the 1L (short rides) and the 3L (long rides) and am extremely happy with them.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

    My MTB Videos

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,276
    Slight hijack but what is the smallest hip pack storage wise? I want one only for carrying water and no more than a liter. I ride with a bottle on majority of my rides and tools and spares strapped to the bike but some extra water would allow me to go on longer rides.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,363
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    really? sounds like a kinked hose. We are talking like ~10in here, I felt zero difference...
    I guess you guys suck more and better than I do.

    Anyway, it's easy enough to try. Hold your current pack at back level and suck. Then lower it approximating waist level and suck. The hydrostatic pressure you have to overcome is from the top of the water in the bladder to the valve in your mouth. The height depends on your pack and posture, but it can be as little as a few inches when the pack is full. Sometimes too, with a full bladder, the bladder can be somewhat pressurized by the pack and stuff around it which will reduce the suck needed Drop the top of the water level down to your waist keeping all else equal, and I expect you'll be able to tell the difference, though you might not feel it's enough to outweigh your preference for a hip pack.

    There is a brand of hydration pack, I don't remember which, which allows pressurization of the reservoir so there's no sucking involved. Bite it and it squirts.
    Do the math.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,363
    Here's that co with pressurized bladders:

    https://www.aquamira.com/geigerrig/
    Do the math.

  19. #19
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I guess you guys suck more and better than I do.

    Anyway, it's easy enough to try. Hold your current pack at back level and suck. Then lower it approximating waist level and suck. The hydrostatic pressure you have to overcome is from the top of the water in the bladder to the valve in your mouth. The height depends on your pack and posture, but it can be as little as a few inches when the pack is full. Sometimes too, with a full bladder, the bladder can be somewhat pressurized by the pack and stuff around it which will reduce the suck needed Drop the top of the water level down to your waist keeping all else equal, and I expect you'll be able to tell the difference, though you might not feel it's enough to outweigh your preference for a hip pack.

    There is a brand of hydration pack, I don't remember which, which allows pressurization of the reservoir so there's no sucking involved. Bite it and it squirts.
    I must suck more , it just works down to the last drop, and I'm 6' 4"..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    306
    Got my Evoc hip pack last week. No issues with sucking, maybe a little less flow but good enough. Feels nice on the hip to. No excessive movement.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    Got my Evoc hip pack last week. No issues with sucking, maybe a little less flow but good enough. Feels nice on the hip to. No excessive movement.
    which one? The normal 3L or the Pro (Pro has the velcro)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    which one? The normal 3L or the Pro (Pro has the velcro)
    Race without velcro strap, so I guess normal. Didn't even know there was a Pro until now. But I'm ok with the normal because it was on sale, $46 with the bladder.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    608
    does the belt come loose? That is the only reason I skipped on the EVOC, I saw reviews that it would constantly loosen up in the belt.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    does the belt come loose? That is the only reason I skipped on the EVOC, I saw reviews that it would constantly loosen up in the belt.
    For me it hasn't. But it has been pretty mellow rides.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Slight hijack but what is the smallest hip pack storage wise? I want one only for carrying water and no more than a liter. I ride with a bottle on majority of my rides and tools and spares strapped to the bike but some extra water would allow me to go on longer rides.
    Just get any old hip pack (I use the Dakine hot laps 2L) and throw something like this Hydrapak in it
    Last edited by alkalifly; 01-10-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Link formatting

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalifly View Post
    Just get any old hip pack (I use the Dakine hot laps 2L) and throw something like this Hydrapak in it
    I just ordered the Hot Laps 2L. Out for delivery right now actually.

    I am sick of hydration pack sweaty back. I have all my tools and tube on my frame so I will just have keys, a 21 oz bottle, and probably a Clif Bar in the pack. Does it stay put pretty good?

  27. #27
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    165
    I like to use the Camelbak Palos, https://www.amazon.ca/Camelbak-11334...camelbak+palos
    It has a strap on the back to attach a jacket if it gets too warm or the rain stops.
    There are ones that might fit a touch better but not as useful.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    23
    I'd highly reccomend the Henty Pack if you want a bladder in the pack. To me its more comfortable with the shouder straps helping to secure the pack vs sinching down the waist on a standard hip pack. I also find the Henty shifts around way less. 👍👍

    https://crankjoy.com/henty-enduro-2-0-pack-review/
    www.crankjoy.com - Exploring the happy places, a mountain bike travel and gear resource.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,018
    Just did my first ride with my Dakine Hot Laps 2L. It stays put much better than I anticipated that it would. It is a small pack but there is plenty of room for keys, wallet, phone, a multi-tool, a couple C02 cartridges, and a snack. I have my tube strapped to my frame but I could have gotten in the pack too if I needed to. Big thing for me was being able to carry a second water bottle for longer rides.

    Pretty nice pack for $40.

  30. #30
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankjoy View Post
    I'd highly reccomend the Henty Pack if you want a bladder in the pack. To me its more comfortable with the shouder straps helping to secure the pack vs sinching down the waist on a standard hip pack. I also find the Henty shifts around way less. 

    https://crankjoy.com/henty-enduro-2-0-pack-review/
    I have not read the review you posted but if you are going to go with shoulder straps, why not take advantage of the larger size and other advantages of a backpack, and go with a CamelBak Skyline or any of the other low riding LR Camelbaks?

    As some have said, the obvious issue with the Henty is the introduction of shoulder straps, which is precisely what most people are trying to avoid in the first place. That is why most seem to be looking at a waist pack in the first place. As some have said, the Henty may represent the absolute worst case possible - all the disadvantages of a backpack, and none of its advanatgaes.

    Not a hater. I have no skin in the game. Just curious because I donít see how the above position is subject to attack. I may be missing something though...

    Additionally, a threshold issue for some may be the cost of the Henty, which seems to be at the top of the scale.

Similar Threads

  1. Hip protection/pads? I have a total hip replacement
    By BobbyLight350z in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM
  2. Broke hip - hip protection
    By Gun in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 05:25 AM
  3. Enduro Fanny Pack aka "Hip Pack"
    By roknfnrol in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 07:07 AM
  4. Anything for hip protection? Broken hip and elbow.
    By stingray4540 in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 10:12 AM
  5. Hip pain... revisited (hip pointer?)
    By DSR in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 08:04 PM

Members who have read this thread: 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.