Hiking boot style MTB shoes (anyone using them?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hiking boot style MTB shoes (anyone using them?)

Just wondering your feedback on this kind of MTB shoe. A week or two ago I ended up having to bag my Sidi's so I'm looking for a replacement. I have $70-$100 to spend on shoes.

I was looking at the Specialized Sport or Comp if I go with a "shoe", but wanted some feedback on the boot type shoes.

I want a shoe that will be efficient and comfy for longer rides, but also one that will do well in the hike-a-bike sections of Pisgah and some other rides.

If it matters, I'm riding ATAC pedals... My "back up" pair of shoes is the Performance Brand, which is made by Lake. They are 3-strap with spikes, I like them a more than I would have expected, although a little tougher to clip in than some shoes (I prolly need to trim down some material on the sole).

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Diadora Explorer

I have a new pair of Diadora Explorer hiking style boots. They're made of waterproof and breathable material. This shoe was discontinued last year and I only have a size 44 (US 10) in stock. It should be great for hiking and creek crossings, and they're quite light for this type shoe. $100 shipped. E-mail me at [email protected]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    Just wondering your feedback on this kind of MTB shoe. A week or two ago I ended up having to bag my Sidi's so I'm looking for a replacement. I have $70-$100 to spend on shoes.

I was looking at the Specialized Sport or Comp if I go with a "shoe", but wanted some feedback on the boot type shoes.

I want a shoe that will be efficient and comfy for longer rides, but also one that will do well in the hike-a-bike sections of Pisgah and some other rides.

If it matters, I'm riding ATAC pedals... My "back up" pair of shoes is the Performance Brand, which is made by Lake. They are 3-strap with spikes, I like them a more than I would have expected, although a little tougher to clip in than some shoes (I prolly need to trim down some material on the sole).
    I bought a pair of Shimanos on sale at Performance. They were about $70-$80. They had a 500 designation(501, 511..I can't remember). My Sidi Dominators were old also. I wanted a shoe that offered some ankle support and could be a bit warmer in winter. They work well and I can hike a bike quite well on rocky terrain. It took some time to adjust to the cleat pedal feel on clipping in. My foot was used to the Sidis. They are quite comfortable and cool in summer. They are a little wider than my SIDIs and I like that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've been pretty happy with my Diadora heavy lugged shoes.

I expect I'll go back when I need something new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I bought a pair of Shimanos on sale at Performance. They were about $70-$80. They had a 500 designation(501, 511..I can't remember). My Sidi Dominators were old also. I wanted a shoe that offered some ankle support and could be a bit warmer in winter. They work well and I can hike a bike quite well on rocky terrain. It took some time to adjust to the cleat pedal feel on clipping in. My foot was used to the Sidis. They are quite comfortable and cool in summer. They are a little wider than my SIDIs and I like that.
    Is this the Sheeeemano shoe you are refering too?

Link: https://www.performancebike.com/prod...00/20_1449.jpg
    They are the SH-M058 and are $69.xx

You also bring another good point, I'll bet I can't put on my neoprene booties over these, but then again, if they are warm, maybe I don't have to....

mtbr member
    I ride those shimano shoes, theyre a tad heavy but otherwiae great. The high cut is great at deflecting those bouncing rocks that always find your ankle bone.

Mar 2004

Specialized

I had a pair of the Specialized 3/4 boots. I think they are called Rockhoppers. The ones where the inside of upper goes up to a 3/4 shoe over the ankle bone. After 3 years they finally gave out. Part of the sole came loose. I am going to try Shoe Goo and make them a pair of spring mud boots. My only complaints on them were the weight and water leaking into the shoe from around the cleat mounts. These were comfortable enough to wear all the time. I wouldn't recommend them to someone living in a hot climate though, not a lot of ventilation.

Jun 2004
    I use the M058's (in gray). I got mine for $49 at my LBS. I hike over steep and rocky terrain regularly with them. They are comfortable after my 5 hour rides. Plus they look good.

I'm feeling dirty, you?

Lake shoes

Has anyone got experience with Lake shoes?
    I'm thinking of getting Lake MX101 for commuting, read: being able to put the power down, not having the sole flex like a sponge but not walk like a freak or be able to walk at all.

MX101

MX60

Groove
    I wouldn't be doing hardcore hiking like the ones in Lake's "Adventure" range, just something flexible enough to walk in but stiff enough to pedal.
    https://www.lakecycling.com.html - Lake
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizum...ctTypeSubID=24 -Pearl Izumi
    I'm thinking Lake MX101, MX60 or Pearl Izumi Groove, remember Performance-Price consideration.

mtbr member
    After i broke my leg in Bent Creek I wore high-top shoes for about 4 years. Started w/ the hiker-looking shoe (can't remember the brand), then two diff pairs of Alpine Stars high tops that had much stiffer soles. I had a lot of difficulty clipping out while wearing the hihg-tops. Somehow, the fact that the shoes cinch more around your ankle than your foot makes the twisting motion less powerful. You have to twist farther and harder to make the shoe actually turn. I don't think having shoes and socks that are all wet & soggy from riding Pisgah helps that issue.

I was really paranoid to go back to having my ankle exposed (the leg broke just barely north of my anke) but I'm much happier now in normal low top shoes. I never felt like the hiking style helped hike-a-biking feel any less like work anyhow.