hey guys .. some suggestions for some lite armor/protection...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

hey guys .. some suggestions for some lite armor/protection...

Hey guys,

Florida rider here. Almost 2 weeks ago I wrecked and tore my calf muscle. I am almost ready to hit the trails again but I feel somewhat sketchy.

I am considering buying some knee/shin guards. The wreck I had was due to a slow speed fall when my rear tire slipped out on some roots and I lost balance and could not unclip. So I just toppled over. However - all my weight and the bike landed on the back of my calf as my shin pounded right into a rock. If I had some type of protection on -- i am sure i would not be out of work for as long as I have.

Obviously I only ride what many consider to be aggressive XC trails so I don't need downhill/freeride gear.

What I am looking for is something very lightweight, breathable, and adequate enough to protect from pedal slap, rocks and roots. Knee/shin combo or even seperates would work. Also -- something that I can stick in my camelbak and take on/off easily would be sweet.

Any ideas? If you have some suggestions - please provide links so that I can look them up.

Thank you so much.
    -Tree

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't bother buying them. I had a fall when I started riding and thought the same thing. After buying some shin/arm guards and using them once or twice they're collecting dust. They're WAY too hot in FL to use, they're heavy and restrict movement enough that unless you're constantly going down hill it's not worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well ... that is kinda what i was thinking. The hot part I dont think would be something terrible to deal with. BUT the restricted movement I would not like at all. Glad you said something.

However, I did come across guards by SixSixOne called Veggie wraps. The ones on jenson.com and pricepoint.com do not have a protective plate. However the ones from xsportsprotective.com do.

They look like they might fit the bill - but without the plate in them -- what is the point?

In any case -- thanks for your input.

-Tree

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesmacker
    ...The hot part I dont think would be something terrible to deal with...
    That's exactly what I thought but trust me, you'll die of heat in them in FL. They're like riding in thick jeans. Maybe if you plan riding <5 miles.

However, I did come across guards by SixSixOne called Veggie wraps.
    LOL, yup, I picked up the previous years versions of those. I thought they looked light and since they have no plastic would be less restrictive on movement. They're EXTREMELY hot and definitely restrict the movement. They also start itching when you start sweating. Don't worry about the fact there's no plastic, they have more than enough protection for XC riding.

If you're going to get some, don't get the sixsixones or any other brand that wraps completely around your body. Get something that's designed like this:

Something that attaches with two single straps. AIRFLOW will guarantee if you will use them daily or not. I used mine once at Santos and once or twice at Tom Brown. Then a year later in the GA mountains I rode up the mountain with them on my back, put them on at the top and rode down ... FAST. It was worth spending the $ on them for that weekend alone. I still relive the downhill in my head some days.

In the end I decided that the extra safety feeling wasn't worth it for riding the trails in FL. I wish I could find some that are super light, super aerated, stay well attached and have good protection I would be willing to try this again, let me know when you find them.

BTW around the time I picked up the pads I also picked up the MET Parachute

Awesome helmet, very rugged, looks good and the face mask is detachable. Used the mask like 5-6 times and have never used it again. TOO HOT! The air just doesn't ventilate fast enough from it. At least not in FL, works great going downhill in GA. Up the mountain it was on my back with the rest of the gear.

These days I'm riding over 18 miles daily from 3-5pm, sometime more on the weekends so I can handle the Summer heat. I would estimate I'd give in around 9 miles before I would take all the gear off and ride naked. If you're around the Tally area or can meet me at Tom Brown I can bring them and you can try the knee/shin/arm pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    LOL ...

Good to know what ya think of those veggie wraps. Guess I will hold off.

If I did not just buy a new helmet I would definitely look into that helmet you linked. Although I dont have need for the face protection part of helm right now ... it would be nice to know that I have it in case I go somewhere will some actual mountains. :P

I live near Tampa currently so I dont get up to Tally very much. Last time i was there was when my wife was going to FSU back in '97-98 or so. If I do go -- I will be sure to look you up though.

Was looking at other guards (just for kicks) ... was wondering what you thought of these Lizard Skins Softcell. They look like they would be hot... but the description is almost convincing. hehe.

-Tree

Sep 2007
    I like the 661 EVO XC knee wraps for comfort and rideability. They are ventilated and not a portable oven like most neoprene. And you can take them off or put them on without taking off your shoes. They arent going to help too much if you take a direct blow kneecap to rock at speed, but for a scraping fall or something like you described, they'd help a lot. The shin ones don't look too comfortable, though.

On the other hand, my 661 Chicken Wings are too tight and too hot. But if anyone wants a set of mediums totally unused... you can have 'em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    LOL ...
    Was looking at other guards (just for kicks) ... was wondering what you thought of these Lizard Skins Softcell. They look like they would be hot... but the description is almost convincing. hehe.
    -Tree
    To me they still look to have too much coverage on the back of the legs. If you were to cut that off, the straps might not give you the adequate retention while moving but would make them a lot more breathable. Give them a try and let us know, the only way to REALLY find out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That helmet looks perfect for my 7 YO son. He is crazy on his new 26er. Do you know who carrys them in the states?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinner29er
    That helmet looks perfect for my 7 YO son. He is crazy on his new 26er. Do you know who carrys them in the states?
    No one. MET doesn't want the responsibility from the US lawsuits or something of that nature; thus they don't sell them here. Search the forum if you want more info. I own two MET helmets, the Parachute and the Kaos Ultimalite and had to import both of them. They're not the cheapest available but I really like them.

Jackalope Hunter

My .02

I have a pair of the 661 Veggie wraps that I used to wear... IMO they aren't bad comfort-wise, and they do the job protection wise. But they are definitely hot in the summer. I stopped wearing them on a regular basis a few years ago because they do not protect the knee and have been through a few different knee-shin combos since then... curently the Brian Lopes model from Troy Lee Designs, they are awesome. They are a little pricey but they are way more comfortable than others i've tried. I only wear the 661s now for winter riding to stay warm (which isn't necessary very often.)

The only reason I wouldn't recommend the Lopes for you is because they are open in the back, they would not have prevented the calf injury that prompted this thread. The 661 veggies would have prevented any such calf injury, they are just hot for trail riding as has already been said. I guess if you want to protect the back of your legs, you may have to deal with a little more heat.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

DILLIGAF
    IMHO, clipless pedals and shin guards just don't seem to go together.

Its got what plants crave
    I wear Roach FR pads for the knee/shin. They are very hot in the summer. I really don't know of anything that's going to cover front AND back of the leg and yet still be cool and comfortable.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons
    IMHO, clipless pedals and shin guards just don't seem to go together.

Hmm. I guess all the downhill racers that ride clipless and wear leg armour are doing something wrong. Not that it has anything to do with this thread, just sayin

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13
    Hmm. I guess all the downhill racers that ride clipless and wear leg armour are doing something wrong. Not that it has anything to do with this thread, just sayin
    I assumed the DH'ers all rode flats. Shows what I know, I am just a XC geek.

Its got what plants crave
    Some DHers ride flats, I know Sam Hill does. The only thing I don't like about clipless is that I can't bail as easily, especially on skinnies and dirt jumps.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons
    I assumed the DH'ers all rode flats. Shows what I know, I am just a XC geek.

Lots of DH riders clip in, especially racers... maybe not quite half, but lots of pros such as Steve Peat, Greg Minaar, Cedric Gracia ride clipped in. Now, freeridings a different story. I only know a couple of guys nutty enough to do that... (besides myself ) Just sayin...

Members who have read this thread: 0