Help with shoes for Freeriding- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

Help with shoes for Freeriding

G'day

I'm looking for suggestions regarding shoes for freeriding.
    I'm currently running some old hiking boots with worn down soles, and they work brilliantly with my V8 pedals... however, it's time i get new shoes...

what would you recommend? I've been looking around at skate shoes, but their soles all seem so hard. The only ones that seem decent are the gummy VANS waffle soles... but damn VANS are hard to find in Australia... I mean i've travelled most of Melbourne, and found a hand full of shops with like two pairs in... anyways...

I'd greatly appreciate any advice/insight, etc, regarding shoes for freeriding.

Cheers
    i

mtbr member
    May 2004
    look at the sixsixone hightops. They have really good support and a builtin ankle support with a hard plastic cup

Feb 2004
    5.10s 5.10s 5.10s. They are the best shoes for flat pedals hands down. Don't worry about the Intense models that are coming out (although I'm sure they are great). Go to www.fiveten.com and check to see where dealers are. I'd go with an online or catalog dealer to get a better deal. I get a new pair every year from either campmor or sierra trading post for like $30 or so and they work great. 5.10 is generally considered a climbing shoe company but their approach and trail shoes work great.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRexford
    5.10s 5.10s 5.10s. They are the best shoes for flat pedals hands down. Don't worry about the Intense models that are coming out (although I'm sure they are great). Go to www.fiveten.com and check to see where dealers are. I'd go with an online or catalog dealer to get a better deal. I get a new pair every year from either campmor or sierra trading post for like $30 or so and they work great. 5.10 is generally considered a climbing shoe company but their approach and trail shoes work great.
    Actually, the Intense models have come and gone. Which coincidently were made by 5.10. The new models coming out by 5.10 are the same as the old Intense version, but will have the 5.10 label on them. I beleive they are called Impact, at least that's what the old 5.10 version that I have was called.

Anyhoo, I agree with KingRexford's recommendation of the 5.10's, there is simply no better shoe when it comes to grip, hands down.

Who pickin the banjo?
    Garmont or even Lowa make some really sick mid-height lightweight boots with Gore-Tex liners. They have some really aggressive soles and pedal really good along with being hike-a-bike friendly.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Dec 2004

5.10 impact

I had a set of the original 5.10 impact shoes before intense sold them and they were great . Super comfortable and durable with nice grippy soles. The new ones look cool, super similar to the older ones but in black and with a high top option.

Glad to Be Alive
    I just wear some Nike high top basketball shoes. Protection on the ankle bone and a little ankle support. I buy the flights on sale for 35 to 40 dollars (U.S.)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Feb 2004
    Globe skate shoes...black...the ones with the flat soles and no grips....I gotta be able to feel my pedals....I can't imagine riding in hiking boots...so very bulky....although my lowa boots are pretty comfy when I'm backpacking...if you're looking for hiking boots I would suggest Lowa...best hiking boots I've ever owned...

Dec 2004
    dvs makes some really good shoes thats what i ride. check out the jeron wilson they are great, they are mid top and they have a velcro strap to keep the strings in place.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypuke
    they have a velcro strap to keep the strings in place.
    I've found that when you don't have the luxury of velcro it helps to double knot the laces and then tuck them under the straight part of your laces near your toes...kinda hard for me to put it in words...

Feb 2004

Get Vans...

Vans Rowley skate shoe is one of the best because it can really grip the pedal and gives great feel. Can find them on sale usaually for around 30 dollars. I have ridden them for three years and they are still great.

J-Mizzle

Still on Training Wheels!
    This might sound lame, but I wear a pair of addidas Supperstars. There flat soled, grip great on platforms, durable and with the rubber toe you'll never wear them out.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Apr 2004
    I would like to find a shoe and pedal combination that can be clipless but will also allow me to unclip and use as a platform pedal for jumping. I know there's pedals out there like that at least with that idea, I've owned some Shimano 636, but I used normal Specialized comp shoes, and when you're unclipped, the hard plastic soles on the medal clips just made you slide everywhere, didn't do much good. Maybe the trick is to find some Van's or something that has a soft sole that would wrap around the clipless mechanism and hit the teeth on the outside of the platform.

Nov 2004
    Currently I have been wearing shoes made by Honda but I am looking at Oakley or DVS for next season.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by corndogggy
    I would like to find a shoe and pedal combination that can be clipless but will also allow me to unclip and use as a platform pedal for jumping. I know there's pedals out there like that at least with that idea, I've owned some Shimano 636, but I used normal Specialized comp shoes, and when you're unclipped, the hard plastic soles on the medal clips just made you slide everywhere, didn't do much good. Maybe the trick is to find some Van's or something that has a soft sole that would wrap around the clipless mechanism and hit the teeth on the outside of the platform.
    Clipless skate type shoes are what it sounds like your looking for. Vans, 66* and Shimano all make a clipless skater type shoe.