Help purchasing helmet cam (complete package)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Help purchasing helmet cam (complete package)

I'm completely new to shooting video, so askign for help should I get a
    DVR, a VCR, or a recording deck to work with a helmet cam?

Also, which Viosport would be better - I See the Adventure Cam III has 520 TV LInes resoultion whereas the Cam II has 380. Will this really matter for starting out?

I'll be stoked just to get some good footage with either my bars or my front wheel as a "refernce point".

i don't know how to do this at all, add music, edit the video, but want to learn!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    If you're wanting to shoot while riding, you need a video camera to capture the video, as all the "helmet" cams I've seen are really just a lens/ccd thing that plugs into the inputs on a camera. Your best bet, AFAIK, is to get a decent mini-DV or similar digital video camera. Then you "capture" the recorded video onto your computer and do the editing with video editing software (such as iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, or better and more complex software).

That's a barebones explanation for a very broad topic. I'd say research the helmet cams, check reviews, and ask about specific cameras. Decide on what video camera you want to buy based on reviews, size, etc. Ideally, go to a store and play with it to make sure its going to work for you. Then look into the software. If you already have some on your computer, use it and figure out its problems. Then look into getting better software.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So the attached lens/ccd really doesn't make a difference?

So if the camera has good stabilization technology that will translate into the attachment?

Jan 2007

HELMET CAMERA purchase

In order to create a quality video , you need a quality helmet camera system.
    After running a helmet camera rental service this past summer in Downieville, CA, I have found that the 520 HAD EX veiw micro cam is an excellent choice. In my opinion, you might want to shop for the company, and not just the camera..
    IE, some companys might be excellent at advertising, and others are better at the quality control
    Our camera is SONY. We shopped, and REALLY like the quality on these cams, so thats why we use them.
    Also, we record onto tape, better footage.

Freshly Fujified

Please check your Private Messages

Sounds like the voice of experience talking. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Check your Private Messages from your User Control Panel, I wanted to pass something along to you.

Thanks,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Caveman
    Skullman - no, the cameras stabalization has zero effect on your helmet cam footage. You are essencially using a mini-dv camera as a recording device using an external video input (the helmet cam). If you ONLY want to use the lipstick cam then you can get the cheapest camera out there with a A/V input and ability to record. This will probably be a sony on E-bay since the majority of consumer cameras these days do not have A/V inputs and are phasing out the mini-dv tape in favor of gimic DVD and Hard drive formats... most all pro HDV cameras still use mini-DV tapes so go figure...

the complete package thing is a tough one, some people are using the archos recorders but I cant say how well they preform. Mini-DV capture via firewire has been the standard for most editing software apps for sometime now.

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine recently told me that he's ditched the HD style recorder for a mini-DV camera. He also picked up one of the Viosport setups, so I'm sure I'll get to play with it a little this coming year... I agree that the best bet is to get something like that: a bullet cam with plugs to go into a mini-DV camcorder with a BIG battery. Records well, playback is good, and captures to PC via Firewire (or USB2?).

Jan 2007

WHICH CAMERA to USE

I use a mini DV tape recorder.

I found that the digital can't capture 30 FPS (frames per second) Which makes the footage appear unstable.

I haven't used a Viosport, so I cant help with which one of theirs to use.

The camera I use has 580 TV lines resolution. Last summer I purchased a complete package from 321 Action cams in Downieville who rents and sells systems.

YES it does matter how many TV lines, the more TV lines, the smoother the footage.

I used to have a 480 TV res, which worked well, however, comparing old footage to my new 580 is a significant difference in color, and stability. The 480 is almost black and white compared to the 580.
    The 580 is EXCELLENT for presentation. I wouldn't waste time with anything much less.

I use Adobe premier pro 2.0 for editing my video, pretty complex, and expensive, yet, WAY better than ANY thing else I tried,. I tried a few....
    Last edited by SPIDER MONKEY; 01-24-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Caveman
    Sorry if I'm out of line here but I think user 321actioncam got the boot from clyde and is now back as Spider monkey, the poor english and use of all capital letters is a dead givaway.

Jan 2007

Huh???

Whatever DUDE, You are out of line.
    I have a camera system from them.
    I am not 321action cams.
    I am SPIDER MONKEY. A rider, and supporter of all good things.
    Camera systems, bike shops, or food bars.

Who cares Anyway??
    I thought this was about products ???.....

What are you a grammar teacher ?
    Sorry if your that board...

Caveman
    ha ha my bad, sorry
    Things just seemed too much of a coincidence

and yes I am that bored..

Jan 2007

GET ON YOUR BIKE AND RIDE then

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    ha ha my bad, sorry
    Things just seemed too much of a coincidence

and yes I am that bored..
    If your that bored, then get on your bike and pound it, Gotta sign out. SPM

Caveman
    you have no idea...

Sep 2005

Viosport

Yea I agree spider monkey is a phony!!!!

Anyways...I use a Viosport Adventure Cam2 with a Canon Elura 100 mini dv camera. Just remeber, my helmet cam won't record widescreen so keep that in mind when making a movie....sticking with 3:4 ration (older tvs) will work out better if you have a mix of camcorder and helmet cam footage.

The footage through the helmet cam looks as good as video captured from the camcorder alone. A higher resolution helmet cam (like the adventure cam 3) wouldn't make much difference I don't think unless you had an HDV camera.

A MINI DV camera is definitely the way to go. Cheap, small, good quality. With DVD camcorders you will have a huge hassle getting footage onto your computer (all video must be "ripped") where Mini DV cams require a firewire port. Hard drive Cameras are larger, heavier, offer worse video quality, more expensive and more fragile than Mini DV cameras. (although they can record more footage). HDV cameras look good but are still kinda expensive and don't fit in a pocket as well as Mini DV.

As far as I know....only higher end sony Mini DV cameras have a line in port required for most helmet cams. The lower end Canons offer line in ports.

I've been into many electronics stores and they seemed to think Canon Mini DV cams offered the best video quality compared to other brands.

Jan 2007

Whatever

If "only" you knew......
    Ha, why don't you all stop wasting energy on if I am real or not.
    THOUGHT THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT WHAT KIND OF CAMERA DO I USE???NOT ...WHO ARE YOU. we would use real names otherwise.
    SO sorry if I thought I might give the camera guy a pat on the back, So I liked him...
    just thought I might share my personal experience. Go ahead and buy the name brand.....
    I am not trendy, thought I would give you more to think about, than the typical main stream...
    Thanks for the input of your opinions. And a fat waste of my time, knowing your apparently worried about more than just the cameras out there...
    UMMM can you say...WHATEVER!!
    Get out of your cubical and ride, stop picking on me,
    If only "YOU" knew....

What was the blog about anyway???

Sep 2005
    haha....I wrote a huge review on my experience with helmet cams and made one comment about you....by the way it hard to get out of my "cubical" with a broken leg. And if I did, this is Canada! 2 feet of snow and -20.....celcius......

Caveman
    I did get out of my "cubical", rode 45 min back home in 10deg F, on a snowpacked trail. The same way I got there in the morning. sometimes its -20 sometimes not, but its always dark in anchorage in the winter.

All other matters aside, don't you tell me to get out and ride.

If you are who you say, then my apology was in my 2nd post, now chill out.

Mr. RMB - Curious as to your comment on the higher res cams only applying to HDV cameras. The way I understand it, the greather resolution in horizantal lines is simply greater resolution in the standard defination format. I think helmet cam footage mixed with HD footage would be very a very noticable drop in resolution since the helmet cam is still recording in SD, not even sure if it would work, you have to set the HDV camera in SD mode to record the line input... know what I'm saying?
    Last edited by Bearbait; 01-25-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    do some research on the net, there are a bunch of different people selling helmet cams, but all the good ones seem to have sony "guts". my feeling is Viosport is overhyped and you end up paying extra for all their advertising. you can get a better camera for less from one of the other guys
    I got the 480 version from http://www.jonescam.tv/ last spring and use a sony miniDv and have been quite happy with it. And I would go with the highest resolution you can afford, it does make a difference. I also use premiere Pro to edit, a bit confusing at first but once you figure it out, its pretty darn cool.

Sep 2005
    My camcorder only has 1 chip anyways....aren't multi chip units large (like the news cameras).

I've compared my Cameras footage to my "lipstick cam" and they are similar...I didn't notice a difference. My brother took is snowmobiling and there was no blur from slow exposure changes...just crisp picture. I was using my lipstick half an hour past dark too and the footage wasn't grainy like my camcorder gets in low light.

Cameras only record so much resolution anyways...getting a lipstick camera with excessive resolution seems pointless.

I'll send you video clips from my helmet cam and camcorder as soon as I get more....our hard drive seems to have been erased (tried installing windows on our iMac.

Caveman
    I agree, the viosports are overhyped and overpriced... even though I have one They do however offer a decent compact wiring package and the ability to change lens.

Deeply concerned - all your points are valid but you are missing an important detail - Camera placement!

Would you honestly place a 3-ccd camera in the same place that you are putting a lipstick cam? Why risk it? i use my lipstick for getting silly crazy camera angles that I wouldent dare try to mount my normal camera.

Also 3-ccd mini-dv cameras are on the way out, its a sad thing
    (I'm a Panasonic Gs-400 owner)

Caveman
    Cool, more power too you.

I agree with the frame mounted stuff, its pretty rare I do it, but fun to play around with.

What kind of camera are you using then?

Caveman
    Cool those are nice and small. I'm looking at getting a used one similar to those pretty soon. My panasonic with a WA lens is a bit big for some adventures.

Members who have read this thread: 0