Help with MTB Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Help with MTB Shoes

I started riding last fall and bought the specialized BG Tahoe MTB Shoe.
    They have worked well but was wondering if it was time to step up to something else. I was looking at the specialized BG Comp MTB Shoe. I was wondering if anyone had that shoe and what they thought. Also if you think I would benefit from this change in shoes. This forum has really helped me as a noobie and I really look forward to all of your insight.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wear the BG Comp shoe. Started wearing them when I picked up my Rockhopper that I have maybe 100 miles on. No complaints. The shoe is ultra stiff of course. Good Comfort. The walking comfort obviously isn't there. They flow a good amount of air. If that is the type of shoe you want, I would say go for it cuz, I really have nothing bad to say. Oh and mine really aren't broken in yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you can, step up to the BG S-WORKS MTB Shoe . The BOA enclosure system on the S-Works is awesome compared to the velcro enclosure on the comp. Plus, the ratchet on the comp looks a little flimsy to me. Never used a shoe with the ratchet enclosure but a friend used to have a pair of Sidi's with a similar system and the ratchet broke on him several times. The shoe fits like a glove, has tons of ventilation, super light, and is stiff as a board which helped me get the power into the pedal. Sux big time if you have to walk more than 20ft though. Unfortunately, the S-works is more than twice the price of the comp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks so much for the insight. Anyone else????

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're having problems with numb toes, a fancier shoe might help. If you're planning to race, a stiffer shoe is more efficient.

Otherwise, I wouldn't replace it unless it's worn out. There are a million things to spend money on in this sport, and most confer incremental advantages, but not many of them will help you have more fun.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The tahoe is a tank compared to the comp, and the soul of the pro is so stiff that you can feel the difference in power over the comp. I have a little over 5000 k off road on my pros and they are nearing the end of their lives but the ratchet has yet to break. Plus you can replace the ratchets if they do.

I remember the sidi's having issues with that but have yet to hear of a spesh one having problems. If you get comps put the spike cleats on right away. They don't get in the way and they are great front pointing up muddy trails. 2 years ago at the Giverator I walked past several people who were on all fours trying to climb the grease and I had no problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    go carbon man. go for the expert or the sworks. plastic soles crap out after a year of hard abuse. the carbon sole will last a good bit longer and WONT FLEX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You all have been great. Thank you so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0