Help me choose a helmet mount headlight- Mtbr.com

Poll: Which helmet mount headlight?

Capricious youth...

Help me choose a helmet mount headlight

So, I'm finally sick and tired of my Nite Hawk AL headlight. Even as a helmet mount, it sucks. It's a spot beam at best, and isn't bright at all.

So, I'm getting rid of it and getting something new for my helmet. Help me decide.

Information you need to know:

I'm running an Exposure Enduro MaXx on my handlebars. At high intensity I believe it puts out 650-700 Lumens. Plenty as a bar mount.

My budget is around $300, give or take, and I've gotta' make the purchase from Performance (have gift cards).

Here's the three lights I'm considering for my helmet:

Nite Rider Trinewt

A little pricey, but a great light, right? Light weight. Does it have a hot spot? How's the battery life? Weight?

Cygolite TridenX

Seems to offer plenty of light, but is it too heavy? Battery weight is exceptionally light, but what about battery life? Have had "iffy" experiences with Cygolite in the past, but this looks like a quality one.

Light & Motion Stella 200L

Nice and light weight. Light & Motion quality construction and reliability. But will light offer enough light when teamed up with my Enduro MaXx bar light? And I've heard that the old Stella 180L had a pretty bad hot spot. Is this true for the Stella 200L?

*There are two other possible options*

Light & Motion Seca 400 LED

Seems like a great light. Offers plenty of power and battery life. Solid Light & Motion build quality and reliability. But I've heard that these lights are a little bit too heavy for helmet mounted headlight.

The good trusty ol' Nite Rider Enduro HID

Trusty. Proven. But the battery is NOT the LiOn battery. It's the NiMh battery and it weighs a TON.

Meh.

Bandolero

Polls are like boobies, some people have two

This is all the light you will ever need.

Since you're here, run a comparison of Scar's Amoeba light with the others.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    get the triden x. light weight and interchangable lens to fit the beam pattern you need last you 2.5 hour on high, not as bright as trinewt or Enduro HID, but brighter then seca 400. stick to LED. I have try trinewt, triden x, and seca 400. 400 is too dim,but light weight light head that stick up very high on helmet mount, trinewt is too heavy, great beam pattern. triden x is best of the your items above. I would never consider amoeba garage made one setting cheap circuit light. if you are thinking about amoeba, best value is the dinotte 400L, much better circuit, great value with 2 year warrenty and free next day shipping on warrenty work if it needs any. best cusomter service is dinotte.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eddielee70
    I would never consider amoeba garage made one setting cheap circuit light. if you are thinking about amoeba, best value is the dinotte 400L, much better circuit, great value with 2 year warrenty and free next day shipping on warrenty work if it needs any. best cusomter service is dinotte.
    The amoeba actually has a huge following on this board, eddielee just loves to bash it because he didn't design it. You might want to check it out. Do a search for it in the classifieds section. The 400L is a good light, though.

EDIT: Sorry, I reread your post and noticed that you wanted to make the purchase from performance...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Al
    The amoeba actually has a huge following on this board, eddielee just loves to bash it because he didn't design it. You might want to check it out. Do a search for it in the classifieds section. The 400L is a good light, though.

EDIT: Sorry, I reread your post and noticed that you wanted to make the purchase from performance...
    Amoeba actually copy three other earlier designs. not his own design either. I copy Archelet design. for $210 with shipping. I would rather buy the heat sensor 3 power 3 flash setting Dinotte 400L light. not some cheap one setting non heat sensor circuit that amoeba uses. and have you look at the 400L alu housing compare to the amoeba. much better cooling fins on teh 400L for those in warm climates. do you know the circuit that scar uses doesn't account for voltage drop of li-ion battery( dim as voltage drops)? If he hook up a current meter, it'll shows higher current reading at the beginning, then when at 2nd hour of running. 400L give consistant power throughout the 2.5 hour light, then 20 minute of low power before it really shuts off. 400L lens are easily changed to what you like with the lens kits.

Capricious youth...
    Ended up with a Trinewt, and at least against the wall of my apartment, about 25-30 feet away, the center is as very, very close to being as bright as my Exposure Enduro MaXx, but the spread of light is even better.

I love my Enduro MaXx, because it's all interal and there's no cable to mess with. But this TriNewt has seriously impressed me.

Can't understand why they put the power switch on the batter though, instead of the light head. Maybe that's why they made the TriNewt Wireless.

Well, I'm really happy, and will get to put her to the test on Tuesday.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like my Exposure Joystick helmet light setup. No one else can beat the helmet mount for this system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Ended up with a Trinewt, and at least against the wall of my apartment, about 25-30 feet away, the center is as very, very close to being as bright as my Exposure Enduro MaXx, but the spread of light is even better.

I love my Enduro MaXx, because it's all interal and there's no cable to mess with. But this TriNewt has seriously impressed me.

Can't understand why they put the power switch on the batter though, instead of the light head. Maybe that's why they made the TriNewt Wireless.

Well, I'm really happy, and will get to put her to the test on Tuesday.
    I have a Tri-newt as well. I love it for my purposes. From what I understand is that if the switch was on the head, heat would kill it in a short time. I don't mind that it is on the battery pack in that case. It was not so much of an inconvenience to make me want to pay for the wireless setup...

American Icon

My 2 cents

The stella is featherweight and makes for a great helmet mounted option if you already have a bar light. It has a definite hot spot... which I really like. The hot spot is tightly focused for trail use and is definitely well built and a great choice for your helmet light.

The tridenx makes for a solid helmet light or bar light. Great amount of total light and has a high build quality IMO. The miniscule battery had a good run time for all of my night time rides. I was much more impressed by this light that I thought I would be originally. The helmet mount is a bit cheap... but works.

The Seca is not too heavy for a helmet mount, but does stick up a bit high. I've run the 700 and liked it's total amount of light it makes. One of the best companies in the business and I'd like to try the 400 sometime.

mtbr member
    Well, I see that you've already bought a light, but I wanted to clear up two misstatements above for any future readers. First, the Seca is MUCH lighter than the TriNewt, so anyone concerned that the Seca is too heavy should avoid the TriNewt for sure. Second, the Seca is brighter than the Enduro HID. The Seca 400 is 400 lumens. Per NiteRider, the Enduro is 373.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The thing that steered me away from the Trinewt was the heavy weight, high cost and especially the switch being on the battery (Duh!). With that being said, good luck and enjoy! It is supposed to be a good light.

Got the TridenX instead for $239 and couldn't be happier with the build, weight, light options and light output. Just my .02 cents.

Dec 2008
    I've been noticing on Ebay that the trinewt seems to have had their battery pack changed/upgraded/remodelled for the 2009 model. Although I can't seem to find anything on the Niterider website that verifies this. Does anyone have any information about this?

Members who have read this thread: 0