HELP: full-face helmet newbie - what to look for ?- Mtbr.com
    Transition Blindside v5

New question here. HELP: full-face helmet newbie - what to look for ?

Hi folk,

I've never had a full-face helmet before, but am now possibly thinking about one.

What are the things that I should look for in one?

Being novice on this, I've only thought of the following...
    * material; carbon, fiber glass, etc?
    * weight; strength-to-weight ratio?
    * head vents; head-cooling, ability to hear?
    * mouth vents; ability to breath in, ability to be heard?
    * inner pads; removable, washable?
    * retention/chin strap; different types?
    * visor; adjustable?
    * something to hold the goggle strap in the back?

What else am I missing?

Also, about the goggles...
    Are mtb-goggles made differently from ski-goggles? (If so, what/how?)

Thanks for your helpful tips, in advance,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I rock the Gir Mad Max II Carbon but the regular version is just fine. It's got a nice thing in the back to hold goggles in the right place. Also I use regular ski goggles so you dont have to have ones made by a mtn bike company. Most full face helmets out there are going to be pretty hot when you wear them so I recomend looking at the one with the most vents, like the specialized Deviant.
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    just get a motorcycle helemt itll giove ya the most protection eva
    Signatures are for losers

mtbr member
    Look for:
    * Hand-laminated fiberglas shell. DON'T get a polycarbonate-only. Carbon fiber or carbon fiber/fiberglas composite are great but expensive.
    * Actually, ALL of the other features are extra plusses, if the helmet has them. A lot of those features are only on the higher end helmets, though.

One of the better of the less expensive is the Bell Bellistic. If you can get a year or two older closeout, they're comparatively cheap . . . and they have hand-laid fiberglas shells. Also check out Azonic ASXs. Good closeouts sometimes on those. If you want to spend more, get the 661 Full Bravo ('05) or Pro Bravo ('06). These are awesome helmets.

MTB goggles differ from ski goggles only in the color of the lense usually. If you want a bargain pair of goggles with a clear lense, go to a motorcycle shop that sells Scott goggles. There is an entry-level Scott goggle that only costs about $25 and replacement lenses are cheap and plentiful. Good luck!
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Just got myself an Azonic T-55 for $59 on a close-out at Wheelworld. These have around 20 something vents but are still hot to wear when pedalling up. I only wear them going when together with all my pads when I'm about to go down.

I am currently shopping for a set of goggles though I'm currently using my pair of Raybans rright now.

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    Just got myself an Azonic T-55 for $59 on a close-out at Wheelworld.
    I see that Wheelworld also has the '05 Bellistic on closeout for $44.95. Hard to go wrong at that price.

BTW, some people find the fit of Azonics a bit funny because they don't cover as low to the chin/jaw line and basal skull line as other helmets.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    ...What else am I missing?...
    1. Fit
    2. Fit
    3. Fit
    4. Fit
    5. Fit
    6. Fit

Then look at the things you listed.
    If it does not fit well it can not protect well and it will not be comfortable. If it is not comfortable you will not wear it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Don't mean to thread jack, but there are two helmets for sale at my LBS and was wondering what you guys thought of them. 1st ones a sixsix1 full COMP (120$ cdn) and the other is a Mace Hammer (80$ cdn). I've got a pretty tight budget and thoses are the only two helmet companies they carry.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhite
    Don't mean to thread jack, but there are two helmets for sale at my LBS and was wondering what you guys thought of them. 1st ones a sixsix1 full COMP (120$ cdn) and the other is a Mace Hammer (80$ cdn). I've got a pretty tight budget and thoses are the only two helmet companies they carry.
    Well, the first three things to check are:
    1. Fit
    2. Fit
    3. Fit

Then make your choice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Well, the first three things to check are:
    1. Fit
    2. Fit
    3. Fit

Then make your choice.

oh and comfort too..................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbmx all day
    May 2006

Wink

make sure it fits. And make sure you can pull out the liner for washing once a year.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchman
    make sure it fits. And make sure you can pull out the liner for washing once a year.
    You can always wash it in the sink.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member

I have the Vigor Vamoose II Carbon

Hi folk,

I've never had a full-face helmet before, but am now possibly thinking about one.

* visor; adjustable?

What else am I missing?

- PiroChu
    It's one of the lightest Carbon FF helmet on the planet and it's very ventilated.

Transition Blindside v5

fit

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    1. Fit
    2. Fit
    3. Fit
    4. Fit
    5. Fit
    6. Fit

I just went to LBS and tried a whole bunch of helmets. Tried different 661 (XL) such as "Full Comp", "Pro Bravo", "Launch", and Bell "Bellistic" (L), and Fox "Rampage" (XL). But none seemed to fit well (w/ pressure points). Then tried Specialized Deviant (L), which I was hoping will work, per it's cooling vents & light(er) weight. But, it seems that, while lack of cheek~jaw padding makes it cooler/breathable, it's a little too wiggly when head is shaken. Too bad... Then I tried Giro Remedy (L), and - viola! - the fit is perfect. But I only wished that it was vented like Deviant.

I'm going to look around just a little more, though that may be a tall order with the < $100 range (not $200~$300). If nothing else, I suppose it'll have to be Remedy for me. Too bad Remedy isn't quite vented like Deviant, or I would've gotten it right then.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 05-24-2006 at 11:42 AM.

May 2004
    I figured that I'd chime in on the goggle part, and just add that while ski and mtb goggles are similar, my mtb goggles are designed for helmet use only, so they have silicone on the inside to help keep them from slipping on my helmet. Also, aside from a few newer goggles, ski goggles are meant more for being put on the head, so the strap is located closer to the face. I found that it made my ski goggles uncomfortable when wearing them with a full face. In addition, its a good idea to take your full face with you when you're looking for goggles, just so you can check the fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just went to LBS and tried a whole bunch of helmets. Tried different 661 (XL) like "Full Comp", "Pro Bravo", "Launch", and Bell "Bellistic" (L), and Fox "Rampage" (XL) - none fit well (w/ pressure points). Then tried Specialized Deviant (L), which I was hoping will work, per it's cooling vents & light(er) weight. But, it seems that, while lack of cheek padding makes it cooler/breathable, it's a little too wiggly when head is shaken. Too bad... Then I tried Giro Remedy (L), and - viola! - the fit is perfect. But I only wished that it was vented like Deviant.

I'm going to look around just a little more, though that may be a tall order with the < $100 range (not $200~$300). If nothing else, I suppose it'll have to be Remedy for me. Too bad Remedy isn't quite vented like Deviant, or I would've gotten it right then.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    How about TLD?
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...top-Helmet.htm
    A riding buddy of mine in the XL range bought a Troy Lee because it fit him best. Worth trying on if you can find em at a LBS.

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmMountainMatt
    I figured that I'd chime in on the goggle part, and just add that while ski and mtb goggles are similar, my mtb goggles are designed for helmet use only, so they have silicone on the inside to help keep them from slipping on my helmet. Also, aside from a few newer goggles, ski goggles are meant more for being put on the head, so the strap is located closer to the face. I found that it made my ski goggles uncomfortable when wearing them with a full face. In addition, its a good idea to take your full face with you when you're looking for goggles, just so you can check the fit.

I agree with MM, the rubber on the strap helps alot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    my opinion towards full-facers:
    if you DH then get a moto helmet - definately.
    I went through three helmets before I found one which fitted perfect, and it was the fox tracer moto helmet, which is a little over $100.
    Normal mtb helmets are fine, they do the job, but I now have twice as much protection as an mtb helmet, for the same price and quality. only drawback (as usual) is all that protection adds more weight. a moto helmet is the way to go for downhilling, at the top of the run I now know that my head will make it to the bottom (even if it rolls down)
    if you are just looking for medium protection then any mtb helmet will be great if it fits like all the others said. I've tried a giro mad max 2 and a bell bellistic. the giro was very comfy but I didnt like the outer moulding and the bellistic was nowhere near protected enough for DH.
    Best

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. Pro-Tec Ace Spade ?

Quote Originally Posted by dminor
    Look for:
    * Hand-laminated fiberglas shell. DON'T get a polycarbonate-only. Carbon fiber or carbon fiber/fiberglas composite are great but expensive.
    Hi dminor,

Thanks for all the great info on shell material, etc.

What're your thoughts on this "high-density ABS shell" thinggie, material-wise?
    (ie. "OK for trail-riding/light-FR, but not sufficient for full-on-FR/DH", etc)

Pro-Tec Ace Spade

https://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...cat=REI_SEARCH

I mean, if it "fits" my head, that is... I'll have to find a LBS that carries one, first.

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 05-26-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Apr 2006
    Hi folk,

* visor; adjustable?

What else am I missing?

- PiroChu
    Whatever you do make sure you try the helmet on first. I just had a TLD D2 2 day air'd to me for $200 and the thing fits my head like ****... I think I'm just going to go to a dirt bike shop, yeah they're heavier, but at least I can get the right fit. As I'm now out $25 in shipping costs...

Members who have read this thread: 0