• 09-09-2008
    BaeckerX1
    Help with finding a helmet for my large oval shaped head
    K here's my major problem. I have a fairly large head. My head is largest front to back. I have to wear an XXL helmet in motorcycle helmets and only certain brands will fit. I have problems with some bike helmets even being XL. Some helmets will fit, but it seems most are made for round heads. I come off looking like a giant mushroom cause of how much it sticks out at the sides. I end up with gaps at the sides too, which can't be good.

I've been looking at helmets online and sizes to try and get a good idea, but with my head size I can't buy one without trying it on. The problem is all helmet manufacturers list is circumference which gives you no indication of the shape. Even some XLs just won't fit me. Any recommendations of helmets that might work? Also, is there a good bike shop in the area with a LARGE selection of helmets where I can go try some on?

Also, maybe I just haven't tried on enough helmets, but it seems bike helmet manufacturers don't realize people have different head shapes? Motorcycle helmets have made huge progress on this front with all different manufacturers making all different shapes and sizes. But every single bicycle helmet I've tried on has been almost completely round. :confused:
  • 09-09-2008
    Nickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Also, is there a good bike shop in the area with a LARGE selection of helmets where I can go try some on?

Man, if all our LBS' kept an online inventory, we'd immediately have an answer to that question. :p
  • 09-09-2008
    BaeckerX1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickle
    Man, if all our LBS' kept an online inventory, we'd immediately have an answer to that question. :p

Haha. Well I'd have a better idea. ;) Right now I'm not sure where to start other than to start checking some shops out. Gas being what it is these days, kinda sucks, but ah well.
  • 09-09-2008
    Nickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Haha. Well I'd have a better idea. ;) Right now I'm not sure where to start other than to start checking some shops out. Gas being what it is these days, kinda sucks, but ah well.

I hear phonecalls are cheaper than gas. Calling shops before driving will at least let you establish a good list of who has the best stock of helmets before even starting the car. But hey, I'm not a doctor.
  • 09-09-2008
    nepbug
    For the most part, Bells are known to be more for the oval heads of the world. Giros are usually more round. there are a lot of other brands out there though so just find a place with a variety of brands.
  • 09-09-2008
    BaeckerX1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickle
    I hear phonecalls are cheaper than gas. Calling shops before driving will at least let you establish a good list of who has the best stock of helmets before even starting the car. But hey, I'm not a doctor.

:lol: Smartass. :p
  • 09-09-2008
    tmosebar
    Bell :thumbsup:
  • 09-09-2008
    KeepItSimpleSpeed
    perhaps Rudy?
    You might try Rudy Project. The helmets of theirs that I've tried don't really fit me at all (too much room from side to side) where as Giros and Bells fit like a glove.

But I have a small-sized head...and I don't know about their large styles.

Also you can get a 25% off coupon here: http://www.e-rudy.com

(they sponsor a race series I produce...but I do not work for them, FYI)
  • 09-09-2008
    mtnboi68
    I've got a giant dome (no, I'm not hydrocephalic) and found that Bell works great. I've got an 'Influx' model from a couple of years ago.
  • 09-09-2008
    squooshy
    One more vote for Bell. And good look with ski helmets! Those are even harder to pick for
    large heads.
  • 09-09-2008
    Team Fubar Rider
    OK, this is coming from a guy that uses, ahem, a XXXL motorcycle helmet (YIKES!). Bell helmets are the ONLY way to go! They definitely fit an oval head (Giro's are decidedly for round heads). Try Bicycle Village. They had last year's X-Ray's on sale for something like $50.
  • 09-09-2008
    Pau11y
    +1 for Bell. Run a lrg X-Ray. It might be discontinued tho. My bud runs a Lamar or Lemar and says it fits his "Spunik" pretty well.
  • 09-10-2008
    Team Fubar Rider
    Yeah, the X-Ray is a disco'd model, but I think BV bought out the ENTIRE remaining stock. Last time I was in BV in the 'Springs, they had like 50 of them.
  • 09-11-2008
    jake7
    +1 for Bell Influx. I too have a large head (7 3/4" hat size) and have found that Bells with the GPS fit system work great for those of us who are more "cranially endowed"
  • 09-11-2008
    j-rocket
    feel your pain...
    I'm in the same boat with a long-oval shaped head. "European cyclist", as my wife likes to say. I searched for at least a year before getting a Lazer helmet that fit. I wasted gas and time trying on all Giros, Bells, Specialized (used to fit), LAS, LG, Limar, etc. I also mail-ordered and returned 2 different Rudy Projects...both times eating the cost of return shipping. I finally took a gamble on the Lazer Genesis and have been happy ever since.

Most helmet manufactures seem to make a "generic, round" shape and toss in extra padding to fit the smaller percentage of oval shaped heads.

Good luck with your search!

J
  • 09-18-2008
    BaeckerX1
    I ended up getting a Fox Flux in white/grey. Fits great, really like the retention system, and it looks alot better than most of the helmets I've tried on. Also it provides better rear head/neck protection than most helmets. So far I'm really satisfied with it. Thanks for all the feedback though. :)